NorSacDan

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 04:21 pm
agrote wrote:
NorSacDan wrote:
agrote wrote:
NorSacDan wrote:
agrote wrote:
NorSacDan wrote:
I do think that more people need to be educated about whey drugs really do to you, but the honest truth is that most people dont care.

Where'd you get that from? What makes you think that most people don't care about harming themselves or putting their lives at risk?

And can you stop posting in bold please...

ummmm... I didn't say that... Shocked

What I did say that most people dont really care what drugs really do to you. When you tell someone who doesnt do drugs what they do to you, they shrug it of 90% of the time because it doesnt usually pertain to their life. When you tell a drug user what drugs do to them, they usually shrug it off because they enjoy the good feeling and try to ignore the negative effect.

Please pay attention that I am not saying all people......

And I post in bold whenever I answer a question or answer a quote, but if it really bugs you I will break the habit and stop, just let me know.

But where do you get that impression from? What has led you to believe that people generally tend to not care abotu the effects of drugs? I'm not convinced that pot smoekrs won't respond to the informatio nthat, if you are susceptible, smoking pot can trigger mental illness.

And yes, it bugs me. Razz

Ok, I won't post in bold. Very Happy

I get that impression from several of my friends from High School who new the effect of the drugs they were doing and that it could potentially kill them, one of them it did, and yet they continued to do the drug. The reason they gave me was that the feeling overpowered the negative effects. Now you may deal with different people, but even to this day, most the drug users I come in contact with know the consequences of there actions and still use the drug(s).

But as I said, the people you know may have more common sense, or more disipline, but from my experiences, that is not the case.

But how do you know they didn't care about the negative effects of drugs? Maybe they just made an informed decision to take the risk and continue to use the drugs. I don't think that the purpose of drug education is to stop people using drugs - it's to make sure that people are aware of the risks.

Ok, then what is the point? If they know the risks and they still take the drugs, why spend taxpayers dollars on drug awareness programs? The whole point of the drug awareness programs are to prevent and stop drug use.

To me, I just cannot conceive how someone could make and informed decision on the effects of drugs and continue to use them.... to me it is like knowing that if you point a gun at yourself and pull the trigger, you will get shot and yet you still pull the trigger. Even if it was like russian roullete, you still have a 1 in six chance that your gonna get hurt (and I dont like those odds, especially not if my life depends on it!). Ya know what I mean? Smile

I know not all drugs are super hostile in there effects, but they still hurt you. They mess around with systems that are working in conjunction to give you the best life sustaning output and you take a drugs that causes the systems to change and not work as they are supposed to.

In my opinion:

Drugs can kill you. If you choose to do them, whether or not you know the risks, there are people out there who's job it is to stop you. We have these people out there because some people just cannot look past there selfish needs of pleasure, highs, hallucinations or whatever and they use drugs. Some of the drug users cause society trouble and society did nothing to warrant the trouble. Therefore the goverment stepped in and outlawed drugs, in order to make society a safer place.

Now some people argue, "Well what about alcohol man?!?! It can kill you and has negative effects, just like drugs!!" Alcohol does kill... it does cause society trouble, just as drugs do, but to outlaw alcohol would be preposterous. Just think of prohibition!
0 Replies

pegasus

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 06:56 pm
If I may, I find the overlapping quotations a tad confusing. I looked like this Shocked when I saw them.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:16 am
NorSacDan wrote:
The whole point of the drug awareness programs are to prevent and stop drug use.

So by 'awareness' you mean 'bias.' Drugs awareness programs should have the purpose of teaching people ALL the facts about drugs, not just the bits about how dangerous they are - why do people use them? what are the effects? what are the dangers? what are the laws? And so on. Telling people to 'just say no' is useless to the peopel who are already saying 'yes' every weekend. If we just tell kids to say no to drugs without teaching them all the facts abotu drugs, some of them will take ecstacy while drunk, or smoke marijuana when they're feeling depressed, and be worse off than if we taught them that they should never under any circumstance mix their drugs - it's a compeltely unecessary risk - and that marijuana exaggurates your mood, so if you are feeling low it will make you feel lower.

Quote:
To me, I just cannot conceive how someone could make and informed decision on the effects of drugs and continue to use them.... to me it is like knowing that if you point a gun at yourself and pull the trigger, you will get shot and yet you still pull the trigger.

That entirely depends on which drugs you are talking about. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a greater chance of you dying if you go for a walk than if you smoke a joint. People with full knowledge of the dangers use all kinds of drugs because of the positive effects, which they fail to mention in school. I was taught at school that people do drugs because they hate life, but that is a lie. People do drugs because the experience is, at least at times, wonderful. I'm not saying that we should encourage kids to do drugs, just that they have a right to know all the facts, includign the truth about why peopel take them.

Quote:
We have these people out there because some people just cannot look past there selfish needs of pleasure, highs, hallucinations or whatever and they use drugs.

Addicts and such do often need to steal to feed their habits, and soem drug users cause other problems for society. But what is selfish about the desire to experience "pleasure, highs, hallucinations or whatever" if it does no harm to anyone else? If some student drops acid, and doesn't cause anyone else any harm or cause any damage to society, what is selfish about his action?
0 Replies

NorSacDan

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 07:22 pm
agrote wrote:

So by 'awareness' you mean 'bias.' Drugs awareness programs should have the purpose of teaching people ALL the facts about drugs, not just the bits about how dangerous they are - why do people use them? what are the effects? what are the dangers? what are the laws? And so on. Telling people to 'just say no' is useless to the peopel who are already saying 'yes' every weekend. If we just tell kids to say no to drugs without teaching them all the facts abotu drugs, some of them will take ecstacy while drunk, or smoke marijuana when they're feeling depressed, and be worse off than if we taught them that they should never under any circumstance mix their drugs - it's a compeltely unecessary risk - and that marijuana exaggurates your mood, so if you are feeling low it will make you feel lower.

From all the drug awareness programs and classes on drug that I have seen do exactly what you think they should do, BUT many of them are preaching to the choir (all the people who don't do drugs)...

Quote:
That entirely depends on which drugs you are talking about. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a greater chance of you dying if you go for a walk than if you smoke a joint. People with full knowledge of the dangers use all kinds of drugs because of the positive effects, which they fail to mention in school. I was taught at school that people do drugs because they hate life, but that is a lie. People do drugs because the experience is, at least at times, wonderful. I'm not saying that we should encourage kids to do drugs, just that they have a right to know all the facts, includign the truth about why peopel take them.

I do agree with you though that in schools, drugs should be talked about more... but realistically, would high schoolers care? I just don't think many of them would. Much of the reason is realated to age and maturity.

Quote:
Addicts and such do often need to steal to feed their habits, and soem drug users cause other problems for society. But what is selfish about the desire to experience "pleasure, highs, hallucinations or whatever" if it does no harm to anyone else? If some student drops acid, and doesn't cause anyone else any harm or cause any damage to society, what is selfish about his action?

But it NEVER does no harm!!! Think about it, drugs have to be made/grown and during that time protected and many times dealers knock off other dealers to get their drugs(someone just got hurt). Even before that, for many drugs, certain chemicals have to be made avalible. In most cases, the drugs are stolen (someone just got hurt). Drugs are then sold on the street, many first timers buy them and use them and OD (someone just got hurt). Sometime the manufacturers are not honest (really? drug manufacturers not honest?!?! Shocked ) and produce drugs that have harmful chemicals on them that normally are not in the drug (this happened with E and is still happening). Some people take those drugs and get real sick (someone just got hurt).

What I am trying to say is that from the point the drug begins its life or is made till it gets into the drug users hand, many people get hurt and killed. That drop of acid the student took could have the blood of some dealer on it or and innocent civilian or a cops blood.

One bad apple spoils the whole barrel.

Honestly, I would love to chat with you on the phone about this some time, cause this is one heck of a lot of typing! Razz
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:26 pm
NorSacDan wrote:
I do agree with you though that in schools, drugs should be talked about more... but realistically, would high schoolers care? I just don't think many of them would. Much of the reason is realated to age and maturity.

I think that belief is the problem - peopel underestimate the kids' understanding. I was a mature little 14 year old I was, they could have been straight with me and taught me the facts about drugs and I would have cared at least. THere's no point giving up - if they really don't care we should keep trying to persuade them to.

Quote:
But it NEVER does no harm!!! Think about it, drugs have to be made/grown and during that time protected and many times dealers knock off other dealers to get their drugs(someone just got hurt). Even before that, for many drugs, certain chemicals have to be made avalible. In most cases, the drugs are stolen (someone just got hurt). Drugs are then sold on the street, many first timers buy them and use them and OD (someone just got hurt). Sometime the manufacturers are not honest (really? drug manufacturers not honest?!?! Shocked ) and produce drugs that have harmful chemicals on them that normally are not in the drug (this happened with E and is still happening). Some people take those drugs and get real sick (someone just got hurt).

All very godo arguments for legalisation and regulation. :wink:
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 08:34 pm
I'm kind of with agrote.

As with sex, and tobbacco, a little bit of education would go a long way.

IMO more harm is done to society by "enlightened souls" attempting to regulate and control or ban whatever things people wish to do for their own entertainment.

It is necessary for an addict to steal to support his habit simply because the societal restrictions and taxes on the sale of "mind altering drugs" (everything from coffee, tobbaco and alcohol to cocaine,meth and heroin) tend to raise the price of the commodity. When the price is raised it makes it more profitable for a drug grower, manufacturer, or distributer to take more risks and seek new customers.

These risks and costs include bribing our police, addicting our children, killing (enforcing) competition, and perverting our legal system.

So in concluding I suspect that we should just ignore the problem except as it pertains to minors. There will always be some adult humans who engage in self destructive behavior. A study of genetics will confirm this. The problem is naturally self limiting. It's only made worse by governments and religions attempting to deny the basic variability of the human animal. (but it makes a good living for the drug lords, the border guard, and the local constabulary). (who would lose a lot of easy money or their big office, if everyone that wanted to grew a little pot in a sunny window or their flower garden.) With a few poppies of course :wink:
0 Replies

lendyman33

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 09:41 pm
OK lets look at the facts and contradicitions.

I hope some of you are aware of the highly addictive and re-enforcing effects of methamphetamine. Yes? OK, well if your not, let me enlighten some of you. Methamphetamine is the most potent dopamine releasing drug created by man, and existing on the planet. It works by facilitating the release of dopamine in excesive amounts in the brain. By making the neurons releaes more dopamine into the synapses, a person experiences extreme euphoria, energy, and happiness. This drug is more potent than cocain, and more re-enforcing than cocain. While cocain gives you a 15-30 min. high, meth gives you one lasting anywhere from 8-24hours. Now with 24 hours of extreme pleasure only obtainable by one substance, I think any normal human would become instantly addicted. Yes? Yes.

A quote:
"Mr. Clinton said, ³I am particularly pleased we are acting before this epidemic spreads.² Mr. Clinton added, ³We have to stop Œmeth¹ before it becomes the crack of the 1990s. And this legislation gives us a chance to do it.² Unfortunately ³meth² is not a new problem in the United States. Methamphetamine, which is known on the street as ³speed,² ³crank,² or ³ice,² is a powerful stimulant. So powerful, in fact, that the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) has called it the most lethal substance to hit the streets during the entire 35-year war on drugs." http://ndcf.org/Publications/1997/Meth.html

But hey guys!, guess what!...Meth is legal, so are its analogues(amphetamine l-amphetamine, and d-amphetamine)
Want some BRAND names that are prescribed for appetite surpression and ADHD???
-Desoxyn
-Adderall
-Benzedrine
-Dexedrine
-Ritalin(which is actually more related to cocain in action, but you get my point, yes?)

Funny how a large sum of the addictive drugs out there are addictive because of their affect on dopamine release. Hmmm....
That would lead one to wonder how much marijuana affects dopamine synthesis based on the FDA's firm standing that marijuana is addictive. Yes?
Well, I shall enlighten you, friends. It has absolutely no affect on the dopamine pleasure-reward system whatsoever. Marijuana affects a certain type of receptor in the brain. These are called cannabinoid receptors. They are designed to respond to the bodies natural cannabinoids produced to control pain and fear. You cannot get addicted to this substance from a physical standpoint. The only argument, in terms of addiciton that remains is the one of psychological addiciton. You can get psychologicaly addicted to marijuana, as you can with any activity friends!
Examples that some could relate to: Watching TV, playing video games, sitting on the couch.

Marijuana has been found to be less addictive than chocolate, and more addictive than sardines.

OK now that I've gone through that, let me give you a few statistics shall we!

--There have been 2,439 deaths related to methamphetamine reported between 1991 and 1995

Annual deaths relating from drug overuse or overdose:

TOBACCO ........................400,000
ALCOHOL .........................100,000
ALL LEGAL DRUGS .............20,000
ALL ILLEGAL DRUGS ...........15,000
CAFFEINE ..........................2,000
ASPIRIN ............................500
MARIJUANA ........................0
Thats right, ZERO
http://www.cannabis.com/untoldstory/hemp_9.shtml

So wait, why is it illegal again?

Let me shut you up before you start talking again pal.

"Marijuana does not cause serious health problems like those caused by tobacco or alcohol (e.g., strong addiction, cancer, heart problems, birth defects, emphysema, liver damage, etc.). Death from a marijuana overdose is impossible. In all of world history, there has never been a single human death attributed to a health problem caused by marijuana."

"Continuous long-term smoking of marijuana can
cause bronchitis, but the chance of contracting bronchitis from casual marijuana smoking is minuscule. "
http://members.tripod.com/StephenJohn/harmful.html

So wait, its illegal because you have a miniscule chance of contacting a minor respiritory infection called bronchitis? But I thought that the legal smoking product tobacco caused a lot more than
that I may be mistaken but the Surgeons General warning states that tobacco has been proven to cause:

" * SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Smoking Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy.
* SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Quitting Smoking Now Greatly Reduces Serious Risks to Your Health.
* SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Smoking By Pregnant Women May Result in Fetal Injury, Premature Birth, And Low Birth Weight.
* SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Cigarette Smoke Contains Carbon Monoxide."
http://www.cigarettes.1emallway.com/warning.htm

OK, so this is legal, WHY?

Perhapse I wan mistaken when I said that it was harmless to drive while high, no, I was flat out wrong. I was going on memory, and had few references. I apologize.
Please dont arrest me for being mistaken in one point of my last submission guys!

So does anyone think that marijuana should be kept out of the reach of terminally ill AIDS and Cancer patients, while Methamphetamine is being prescribed for appetite supression? Im sorry, but if that is logic, by any stretch of the imagination, I must be pretty thick to not be understanding why this naturally occuring plant that god created is being controlled by the US government.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 10:49 pm
Shocked I look like this after a spliff!
0 Replies

lendyman33

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 06:31 pm
legalize
Right on!
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 06:05 pm
Thanks for those exact figures Lendyman. They affirm the post I made on page 4. You and me podnuh;What a team! Very Happy
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 06:09 pm
Oh, by the way, Firearms are on the list below alcohol and tobacco also.
0 Replies

NorSacDan

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 01:06 am
lendyman33 wrote:
OK lets look at the facts and contradicitions.

I hope some of you are aware of the highly addictive and re-enforcing effects of methamphetamine. Yes? OK, well if your not, let me enlighten some of you. Methamphetamine is the most potent dopamine releasing drug created by man, and existing on the planet. It works by facilitating the release of dopamine in excesive amounts in the brain. By making the neurons releaes more dopamine into the synapses, a person experiences extreme euphoria, energy, and happiness. This drug is more potent than cocain, and more re-enforcing than cocain. While cocain gives you a 15-30 min. high, meth gives you one lasting anywhere from 8-24hours. Now with 24 hours of extreme pleasure only obtainable by one substance, I think any normal human would become instantly addicted. Yes? Yes.

You are right. Meth is addictive. Dont forget that the meth plugs the receptor sites so the dopamine is not reabsorbed. But I just want to confirm that everyone who trys meth is instantly addicted? WOW I didnt know that. I would love to find out how you found that out.

Quote:
A quote:
"Mr. Clinton said, ³I am particularly pleased we are acting before this epidemic spreads.² Mr. Clinton added, ³We have to stop Œmeth¹ before it becomes the crack of the 1990s. And this legislation gives us a chance to do it.² Unfortunately ³meth² is not a new problem in the United States. Methamphetamine, which is known on the street as ³speed,² ³crank,² or ³ice,² is a powerful stimulant. So powerful, in fact, that the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) has called it the most lethal substance to hit the streets during the entire 35-year war on drugs." http://ndcf.org/Publications/1997/Meth.html

But hey guys!, guess what!...Meth is legal, so are its analogues(amphetamine l-amphetamine, and d-amphetamine)
Want some BRAND names that are prescribed for appetite surpression and ADHD???
-Desoxyn
-Adderall
-Benzedrine
-Dexedrine
-Ritalin(which is actually more related to cocain in action, but you get my point, yes?)

1. Illegally produced Methamphetamine is not legal.
2. Legally produced Methamphetamine and its analogues are legal because they have actual medicinal uses.

Each of these drugs are very carefully prescribed. You cannot just walk in and ask for a prescription for one of these drugs. Desoxyn is rarely prescribed anymore because of its potential of abuse and is hard to find. Several of these drugs are time released, therefore it is hard to abuse the drug, but as you know, not impossible.

Most the meth we have problems with come from Clandestine laboratories in California and Mexico. Domestic labs (big labs) that produce methamphetamine are dependent on supplies of the precursor chemical pseudoephedrine, which is sometimes diverted from legitimate sources. It is smuggled from Canada, and to a lesser extent from Mexico. Domestic independent laboratory operators (small labs, usually in houses, basements), mostly in the western, southwestern, and midwestern United States, also produce and distribute methamphetamine but on a smaller scale.

Why do I tell you this? Well it seems that meth is legal, and regulated as a medicinal use... but people still produce it illegally. Why do you think that once Marijuana is legalized that everything will be peachy? Seems to me this is a reason to keep it illegal.

Quote:

Funny how a large sum of the addictive drugs out there are addictive because of their affect on dopamine release. Hmmm....
That would lead one to wonder how much marijuana affects dopamine synthesis based on the FDA's firm standing that marijuana is addictive. Yes?

No. What makes you say that being addicted has to strictly with dopamine levels? And the FDA doesnt say that it is addictive, they just say it is a Schedule I drug, No medicinal use, Huge potential for abuse. In fact, the FDA is still testing marijuana and its chemical components. They have even approved some safer forms of Cannabinoids (refer the end).

Quote:

Well, I shall enlighten you, friends. It has absolutely no affect on the dopamine pleasure-reward system whatsoever. Marijuana affects a certain type of receptor in the brain. These are called cannabinoid receptors. They are designed to respond to the bodies natural cannabinoids produced to control pain and fear. You cannot get addicted to this substance from a physical standpoint. The only argument, in terms of addiciton that remains is the one of psychological addiciton. You can get psychologicaly addicted to marijuana, as you can with any activity friends!
Examples that some could relate to: Watching TV, playing video games, sitting on the couch.

Marijuana has been found to be less addictive than chocolate, and more addictive than sardines.

OK now that I've gone through that, let me give you a few statistics shall we!

--There have been 2,439 deaths related to methamphetamine reported between 1991 and 1995

Annual deaths relating from drug overuse or overdose:

TOBACCO ........................400,000
ALCOHOL .........................100,000
ALL LEGAL DRUGS .............20,000
ALL ILLEGAL DRUGS ...........15,000
CAFFEINE ..........................2,000
ASPIRIN ............................500
MARIJUANA ........................0
Thats right, ZERO
http://www.cannabis.com/untoldstory/hemp_9.shtml

So wait, why is it illegal again?

OK, first it was discovered that the THC in Marijuana caused certain receptor sites in the brain to react. It was later discovered that anandamide, a natural neurotransmitter fits into those receptor sites. Receptors for the anandamide were found in several areas of the limbic system including the reward/reinforcement center. Other areas of the brain anandamide receptor sites are found are those regulating the integration of sensory experiences with emotions as well as those controlling functions of learning, motor coordination and some automatic body functions. The presence of anandamide receptors means that these areas of the brain are the most affected by marijuana. It is important to know that there are fewer anandamide receptors in the brain stem for marijuana (THC), compared to endorphin receptors for opiods and norepinephrine receptors for cocaine since areas of the brain where there are endorphin receptors and norepinephrine receptors are the areas that control heart rate, respiration and other body functions. This is the reason why dangerous overdoses can occur with cocaine and opioids due to depression or over-stimulation of those functions and why it is so difficult to phyisically overdose with marijuana.

Another note: unlike THC, anandamide is fragile and breaks down, thats why you dont get a high from anandamide.

http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/features/anandamide.shtml
http://www.marijuana.com/wiki/Anandamide

Quote:

Let me shut you up before you start talking again pal.

Do I sense some hostility? I could have been mistaken, but thought this was a friendly debate where mature people could come together and discuss and debate issused.

Quote:

"Marijuana does not cause serious health problems like those caused by tobacco or alcohol (e.g., strong addiction, cancer, heart problems, birth defects, emphysema, liver damage, etc.). Death from a marijuana overdose is impossible. In all of world history, there has never been a single human death attributed to a health problem caused by marijuana."

"Continuous long-term smoking of marijuana can
cause bronchitis, but the chance of contracting bronchitis from casual marijuana smoking is minuscule. "
http://members.tripod.com/StephenJohn/harmful.html

http://members.tripod.com/StephenJohn/harmful.html -- And where did this guy get his sources...??

Anyway... THC is a bronchodilator, at least initially. As smoking becomes chronic, so does the irritation of the airways. Because marijuana is grown in a wide variety of conditions and is unrefined, the buds/leaves are harsh, unfiltered, irregular in quality and composed of many different chemicals. Therefore, when it is inhaled into the lungs, smoking 4-5 joints gives the same harmful exposure to the lungs and mucous membranes as smoking a full pack of cigarettes. Marijuana smoking on a regular basis leads to symptoms of increased coughing with acute and chronic bronchitis.
studies of Dr. Donald Tashkin at UCLA (Tashkin, Simmons, & Clark, 1988; Tashkin et al., 1997)

Marijuana use has been shown to slow learning and disrupt concentration by its influence on short-term memory. A recent study of 150 heavy marijuana users in treatment found that not on memory but attention span and cognitive functioning were impaired and as expected, the heavier the use, the greater the impairment (Solowij, Stephens, Roffmans, et al., 2002).Overall in one study, those who average a D in school were 4 times more likely to have used marijuana than those who got A's(SAMHSA, 2001).

Quote:

So wait, its illegal because you have a miniscule chance of contacting a minor respiritory infection called bronchitis? But I thought that the legal smoking product tobacco caused a lot more than
that I may be mistaken but the Surgeons General warning states that tobacco has been proven to cause:

" * SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Smoking Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy.
* SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Quitting Smoking Now Greatly Reduces Serious Risks to Your Health.
* SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Smoking By Pregnant Women May Result in Fetal Injury, Premature Birth, And Low Birth Weight.
* SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Cigarette Smoke Contains Carbon Monoxide."
http://www.cigarettes.1emallway.com/warning.htm

OK, so this is legal, WHY?

I dont know. I personally don't smoke and don't really think other should and I try to discourage my friends from doing so and why is that? Because I know it is bad for you!

Quote:

Perhapse I wan mistaken when I said that it was harmless to drive while high, no, I was flat out wrong. I was going on memory, and had few references. I apologize.

Apology accepted. And think before you drive under the influence, you could kill someone.

Quote:

Please dont arrest me for being mistaken in one point of my last submission guys!

So does anyone think that marijuana should be kept out of the reach of terminally ill AIDS and Cancer patients, while Methamphetamine is being prescribed for appetite supression? Im sorry, but if that is logic, by any stretch of the imagination, I must be pretty thick to not be understanding why this naturally occuring plant that god created is being controlled by the US government.

Yes, I think marijuana should be kept out of the reach of terminally ill AIDS and cancer patients because there are to many negative side affects of marijuana and most of all the FDA has not approved it! Common sense dictates that it is not good medical practice to allow a substance to be used as medicine if that product is 1) not FDA approved, 2) ingested by smoking, 3) made up of hundreds of different chemicals, 4) not subject to product liability, 5) exempt from quality control standards, 6) not governed by daily dose criteria, 7) offered in unknown strengths (THC) from 1 to 10 percent, 8) self prescribed and self administered by the patient.

The legal Methamphetamines are rarely used and there a rigorous procedures you must go through in order to be applicable to use them.

A little something extra:

FDA Approval of Safer Dosage Forms of Cannabinoids
FDA has approved two drugs, Marinol and Cesamet, for therapeutic uses in the U.S., which contain active ingredients that are present in botanical marijuana. On May 31, 1985, FDA approved Marinol Capsules, manufactured by Unimed, for nausea and vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy inpatients that had failed to respond adequately to conventional antiemetic treatments. Marinol Capsules include the active ingredient dronabinol, a synthetic delta-9- tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, which is considered the psychoactive component of marijuana. On December 22, 1992, FDA approved Marinol Capsules for the treatment of anorexia associated with weight loss in patients with AIDS. Although FDA approved Cesamet Capsules for the treatment of nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy on December 26, 1985, this product was never marketed in the U.S. Cesamet Capsules contain nabilone as the active ingredient, a synthetic cannabinoid. Nabilone is not naturally occurring and not derived from marijuana, as is THC.

http://www.fda.gov/ola/2004/marijuana0401.html

Side note: The manufacturers of Marinol, Roxane Laboratories inc., do not agree with the pro-marijuana advocates that THC is safe and harmless. In the Physicians Desk Reference, a good portion of the description of Marinol includes warnings about the adverse effects.

Major medical and health organizations, as well as the vast majority of nationally recognized expert medical doctors, scientists and researchers, have concluded that smoking marijuana is not safe and effective medicine. These organizations include: the American Medical Association, the American Cancer Society, National Multiple Sclerosis Association, the American Glaucoma Association, American Academy of Ophthalmology, National Institute for Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institute of Dental Research and the Natioanal Institute on Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 10:30 pm
Norsacdan,
.....I can't believe you said you would like to keep marijuana out of the hands of terminally ill, cancer and aids patient. because of SIDE AFFECTS!
....Do you realize they are DYING, and they want relief? And you're worried about SIDE AFFECTS Exclamation Question .....Aw wait a minute.....you almost got me. You're kidding right? Very Happy Yeah... you do have intelligence, and common sense. Boy...what a kidder.
0 Replies

escvelocity

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 12:00 am
i'm torn between legalizing marijuana, or not. My fiance smokes it...i look at it as no different than alcohol, or ciggies. And it being legal, would probably mean it would be sold cheaper. 50 bucks a week is alot of cash to dish out living pay check by pay check. But, if weed were legal....how many children would be exposed to it by their parents. The second hand smoke not only contains harmful chemicals, but also causes a contact buzz. Just a thought, i dont see it being legalized, because of the smoking ban issues.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 05:51 am
What if it was legal to smoke it only in Amsterdam-style cannabis cafes, which didn't allow children in?
0 Replies

escvelocity

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 11:53 am
That would be peachy....but more kids would be subjected to it anyhoo even with the cafe's in place, granted most young ppl tend to buy an ounce, smoke it all up with their pals, have a great time...then repeat next weekend....woohoo, but then most of those casual pot smokers will become chronic smokers....and alot of times, with a habit, like drinking or smoking, ppl tend to forget the ppl they have around them. I'm sure alot of ppl would have some common sence. but most i doubt would. i'm not saying that drinking and smoking ciggies are any better, but marijuana has been illegal for many years....and no one fought it tooth and nail. They are currently trying to ban smoking completely, in small steps...but thats their goal. And as far as alcohol, they tried to ban it as well, but failed. And drinking and driving involving an accident that kills someone, carries a stiff penalty, like a murder charge. and you really can't prove if someone has actually died because of the user being on pot. i have never known anyone who has been involved in an accident to get drug tested, just a breathalizer. except at the workplace, where an accident was involved. anyhoo, i'm not against pot, i don't smoke it personally...and i don't judge ppl who smoke it. i like my ciggies and booze lol. i just find it doubtfull that it will ever become legal. if it was, it sure would save some cash, and worry though. i always worry about my fiance' getting in an accident at work, and getting fired because of a drug test. he's been there 10 years, its alot to lose.
0 Replies

NorSacDan

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 01:39 pm
Booman2,
No, I am pretty sure you read what I said correctly. If they want relief, then go use drugs that are already prescribed to people who are terminally ill. There is PLENTY of relief with drugs that are already legal.

READ THIS:

On May 31, 1985, FDA approved Marinol Capsules, manufactured by Unimed, for nausea and vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy inpatients that had failed to respond adequately to conventional antiemetic treatments.

This was in my previous post...

Why do I have a feeling everything I wrote in my previous message went in one ear and out the other?!?!?!

The FDA is still researching the use of cannaboids, if the FDA were to say marijuana is safe and they legalized it, I would have very little objection, BUT they didnt say that. For heavens sake, let the FDA do there job, that is why we pay our taxes, so they can study these drugs and see if they have any use.

This debate seems to shift way to much... from legalizing marijuana for medicinal use to legalizing it for recreational use... wow.
0 Replies

Purplemalk

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 03:12 am
Ok, Normally I don't post on this subject just because of the ludacris amount of penalties this country has against Marijauna's users. And please be easy on me I only joined for the friendly debate not to make enemies.

Most of the information I'm about to use here is from:
http://www.drugwarfacts.org/marijuan.htm
I will admit that some of it. ( A small amount ) comes from my experiences as a long time smoker with many friends that do the same.

In fact you could probably just read that and get the point. But I'll make my points and see how they go.

First of all, For the Marinol topic. Research has shown that the use of Marinol, while effective, is still not as effective as smoking marijuana. Marinol has been shown to have MORE adverse side effects than smoking of marijuana, as well as it has to be taken in large doses to have effect, and that effect can usually takes so long to appear that the patients have to suffer in pain while waiting for there effect. While smoking is instantaneous, and the dosage can be self monitored and adjusted as needed.

Ok Now on to the affect on memory and the brain. The studies the UK made have shown that the affects on memory are small, very small. In fact in the people they tested, even after long term marijuana use there subjects IQ had lowered a very small amount and were still above the average citizens numbers, Now I'm not saying it makes you smarter, But it doesn't turn someone into a drooling idiot either. In fact the UK study showed that if they had not recorded a Pre-Use IQ test in there subjects that the IQ change would have not even been noticed.

Ok On To The "Legalizing It Will Just lead to MORE people using it" In countries where it has been legalized or the penalties have been lowered for it's use it's been shown that the use of marijuana among it's residents have NOT gone up.

"Driving Under The Influence" It shouldn't be done. Everyone knows this. Just like Alcohol, most painkillers, Cough suppressants, celphones. But People do it. And legalizing pot, isn't gonna change the amount of people doing it any more, but that of course is not from any study, but is just my opinion. I myself never smoke while driving, or drive after smoking. I smoke because I enjoy the "high" much like people drink because they enjoy the "drunk"

Deaths Caused by Pot, There isn't one recorded death. There were five reported in the UK, and were then proven to be caused by things other than marijuana use. It's shown that THC affects very particular parts of the brain call caniboids (sp? I'm not a spelling expert, so I'll call them THC Receptors) It's also shown that in the parts of the brain where respiration, heart beat,( basically all the functions that keep us alive) have practically no THC receptors, therefore making the chances of one "smoking themself to death" very very unlikely. In fact it's pretty much impossible. Unless you want to consider in long term things like cancer, Which I'll talk about in a minute

Physical Problems Caused by Pot, Ok, well I'm a smoker too, And I know it's bad for me. But I do it. It's my choice, I don't blow secondhand smoke in other peoples faces. I do my best not to put other non smokers at risk. And if Marijuana were to be legal I would take the same precautions, assuming I ever actually smoked it around non smokers. I will admit that it's harmful to MY body. But Me smoking it in the privacy of my own home, is harmful to noone BUT me. It's my choice, it may be slightly stupid, but it's mine. And I don't think that that some person up there in our mighty country's government should be able to tell me what I can or cannot choose to do in the privacy of my own home as long as it's not harming others.

"You Can't Make Alcohol Illegal, Look at the Prohibition" And you're saying that making marijuana illegal isn't having the same affect? I admit it's not ont he larger scale the prohibition was on. But Still, it's pretty much the same circumstances, Let's compare:

Alcohol was made illegal, so people went to illegal bars, bought home brew and continued to drink. The Fact of the matter is people wanted to continue using it, so they did.

Marijuana is illegal, so people grow it illegally, smoke it at home or at friends, and continue to smoke. The fact of the matter is, people want to use it, So the do.

I'm not gonna rant anymore, I've probably ranted too much already. But I had to get my word out there. But I will leave out with a quote from a Police officer who guards my place of employment,

"When I retire, The first thing I'm gonna do is smoke a big spliff. And not that crap most people smoke. no, I'm a cop, I know where to get the GOOD stuff"

Mainly my Point is. The fact that it's illegal is ridiculous. Make it legal like alcohol, Hell make it only sellable in locations that already have liquor licenses, and follow the same consumptions laws. But seriously. All that has really been happening since the 60's is a Modern Day Prohibition. Only difference is. Potheads don't react violently. You show me a Pothead who's quit his job, and started robbing houses to "feed the monkey"
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 07:06 pm
I wasn't quite sure where to put this, because it isn't really about legalization.

It fits more into a "is marijuana harmful" thread, but I couldn't find one of them!

This is a link to a recording of a radio program about schizophrenia, but, towards the end of it, it reports recent research into marijuana and the brain, especially re schizophrenia.

It is very interesting, because it is suggesting a real link with mental illness and hydroponic marijuana, which differs a lot from the old outdoor dope I used to smoke.

Anyhoo, it is quite worrying, and I thought folk might be interested.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/mind/stories/s1605866.htm

Er, you have to listen to a lot about schizophrenia, but it is interesting.

Here is a transcript of a TV show touching on the same stuff:

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s777336.htm

Info about some of the research being done into this:

http://www.nisad.org.au/research/ptrp.asp
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 07:33 pm
I don't know about anyone else, but I've got the munchies...
0 Replies