Legalize Marijuana? Why or Why not?

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 01:02 am
Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on why or why not marijuana should be legalized?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,094 • Replies: 111
No top replies

roverroad

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 01:06 am
Because it's ridiculous to outlaw a weed.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 01:55 am
We have this discussion a lot.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 02:35 am

And the law will never change, not in my lifetime anyway.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 03:35 am
Alcohol and tobacco are far more lethal (in terms of cancer and accidents) than weed and yet, they are legal. Home grown grass is pure God made plant life...who am I to snub life? :wink:

Seriously though, yes it should be legal. And for more reasons than I want to light one up after a bad day at work. It helps medically in some cases is probably my strongest argument. And it doesn't hurt anyone but the user (the smoke in the lungs factor) unlike alcohol which kills plenty of innocent people every year.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 03:37 am
It seems that somebody starts a thread on this subject about once or twice a year. And all the pro- and all the con- people come out and say the same things over and over again. Like me.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 03:38 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
It seems that somebody starts a thread on this subject about once or twice a year. And all the pro- and all the con- people come out and say the same things over and over again. Like me.

Very Happy
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 03:58 am
Because everyone should have the right to smoke it. People should be aware that smoking anything can potentially cause cancer and such, and that if they are predisposed to schizophrenia, as a very small number of people are, marijuana can trigger its onset. But it can't kill you, and it's a wonderful experience, so it should be up to you, not the government, whether or not you smoke it.

It makes sense for something like heroin to be illegal, because it is highly addictive, life-threatening, and causes people to lose all their money very quickly and turn to a life of crime. But cannabis is none of those things, and should be legalised and regulated.

roverroad wrote:
the law will never change, not in my lifetime anyway.

It might do here, in Britain. Well, it already has. It's gone from class B to class C, which means that it isn't legal, but you can pretty easily get away with using it. It's a step closer to legalisation.

I'd like to see it replace alcohol as the country's drug of choice. We drink far too much alcohol.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 05:45 am
Leave it as it is. Let the white collars argue about the pros and cons while we just sit back and realax. Smile

But seriously, it would be sweet to be able to obtain weed without having to commit a crime...
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 05:51 am
Like I say everytime 420
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 06:55 am
There is no "road side" test for it. Which is another reason why i think they are hesitant to make it legal. Driving under the influence couldn't be an illegal offense because currently there is no test to see if you are high...other than blood or urine and they can't take that if you get pulled over.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 07:06 am
Driving under the influence of marijuana is not as dangerous as driving on alcohol. When you smoke you become timid, and infinitely more concentrated on the road because you know you are high. You know that your response time is slower, so you take it into consideration. Besides, if I smoked an entire bush I might sink to the level of activity that is normal on the road. Most people, sober or not, are asleep behind the wheel...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 07:09 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Driving under the influence of marijuana is not as dangerous as driving on alcohol.

Right, however, do you honestly believe that law enforcement would allow driving under the influence of anything?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 07:22 am
They allow you to drive under the influence of kaffeine or nicotine. Painkillers too. These drugs have so subtle effects that it's sometimes hard to know you're under the influence.

They let old people drive, people who need one half minute to move one foot in front of the other.

They let epeleptics drive when there's no telling when they'll have a seizure.

They let angry people drive, and we all know how dangerous that can be. Smile

The main reasons for outlawing pot and keeping alcohol legal is financial and political.

It is the same reason why the patent for a hydrogen engine was bought and buried by the petrolium companies almost twenty years ago. If people start smoking they start drinking less.

In a nightclub here in Norway they started charging people 20 kroner (approx. 4 $) for a glass of water. The reason was that so many people used exstacy that they made almost no money selling alcohol...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 07:24 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:
Driving under the influence of marijuana is not as dangerous as driving on alcohol.

Right, however, do you honestly believe that law enforcement would allow driving under the influence of anything?

I think officers should drive around with a really fat ugly chick. when they pull a guy over bring her out and say "Would you f**k her?" If they answer is yes you're going down.

As for pot, legalize, because life sucks and we need every distraction possible.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 07:24 am
I know I know....

I think it's stupid of them, considering they could tax the hell out of it and make a killing. More people regularly smoke pot than regularly smoke cigarettes, methinks. Shocked Very Happy
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 07:33 am
Yep. And that's why I don't want it legalized. Smile
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 07:12 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:

See what I mean?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 07:24 pm
Did I say something?
Oh, that was you.
Never mind.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 10:25 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
There is no "road side" test for it.