Legalize Marijuana? Why or Why not?

NorSacDan

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 11:33 pm
agrote wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:
My main concern about banning anything is that it deprives people of the choice. We should discourage use of drugs, but the choice should be left to the individual, with the intention of raising strong and independent members of society. Let evolution do its thing.

Not a bad idea. Except discouraging the use of some drugs is absolutely unnecessary of course... Laughing

Maybe it's better to educate, rather than discourage - teach people all the facts about all the drugs without bias, then let them make their own minds up. In my experience, at schools in England they spend too much time preaching lies about drugs and not enough time actually outlining all the facts about drugs.

I and many others believe that marijuana is, on the whole, a fairly safe drug to use. But one of the biggest dangers of using cannabis is that it can trigger schizophrenia in those who are prone. School didn't tell me this, my mum did. School instead decided to show us a video telling us the lie that, "the only people who take drugs are people who hate life." Why use lies and scare tactics when there are a plenty of facts to support the argument that smoking cannabis is, perhaps, not wise? Anyway I'm completely digressing, sorry...

Legalisation and education is a bonnie idea, methinks.

I somewhat agree with you here. I do think that more people need to be educated about whey drugs really do to you, but the honest truth is that most people dont care. All they care about is the good feeling that they get from the drug. Think about it. Also many, but not all people who are already using drugs dont care what it does to them, therefore the only way to get them to stop is by forcing them to stop.
0 Replies

NorSacDan

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 11:40 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
My main concern about banning anything is that it deprives people of the choice. We should discourage use of drugs, but the choice should be left to the individual, with the intention of raising strong and independent members of society. Let evolution do its thing.

Ok, so we leave it up to people.... what happens when 40% of the population decides to start or continue doing drugs? How will the economy survive? How would modern civilization survive? Most people who do hard drugs do not work and turn to a life of crime to pay for there drugs. What makes you think that, if legalized, drug users would continue working hard at there job and living there normal life? Would you? if you had the choice of ripping someone off real quick in order to get this great feeling or working a hard 8 hour day, 5 days a week in order to get the good feeling, which would you choose? Mind you drugs probably wouldn't be allowed at work, just like alcohol and in some cases cigarettes.

Anyway, this subject could go on forever, but I just wanted to give an opposing side to letting people choose...
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 11:49 pm
Quote:
Most people who do hard drugs do not work and turn to a life of crime to pay for there drugs.

I would very much like to see the evidence you have to support this proposition. I doubt you have any, but just in case you do, could you provide a link or a reference?
0 Replies

NorSacDan

Cyracuz wrote:
You all know how the mind of a teenager works. If you say NO, there is little in the world that is more exciting than what is banned.

If you say "Do whatever you want, but remember that you must face the consequences of your actions", I'm sure the outcome would be different. A kid would be much more careful with drugs if he knew that he would not get help if he became addicted.

That's how my world would work were I king. Do whatever you want and pay the price. Educate kids about the facts of drugs and drug use, then tell them that if they start, wich they are free to do if they want, they must face the consequences. If drugs ruins their lives then fine. Way to go. They made the choice based on good information.

I know this sounds harsh, but I think that all the children who grew up in such a world would benefit greatly from it. They would become humans of strong will and integrity, as opposed to the weak and dependent wretches we're raising today.

So, then what do you do with all the messed up people? As King you would probably have to inform you people that you will have to tax them extra in order to take care of the people messed up by drugs, you would have to deal with all the DUI accidents and fatalities (including the funding to have emergency services clean up traffic collision scenes and pick up OD bodies). Cause I mean, a good King would not allow a bunch of sick, disease infested, possibly criminal drug users running around the street.

The, oh well, it is there fault tactic does not always work and you sometimes have repercussions from it that you wish you would never had to deal with.
0 Replies

NorSacDan

Cyracuz wrote:
You all know how the mind of a teenager works. If you say NO, there is little in the world that is more exciting than what is banned.

If you say "Do whatever you want, but remember that you must face the consequences of your actions", I'm sure the outcome would be different. A kid would be much more careful with drugs if he knew that he would not get help if he became addicted.

That's how my world would work were I king. Do whatever you want and pay the price. Educate kids about the facts of drugs and drug use, then tell them that if they start, wich they are free to do if they want, they must face the consequences. If drugs ruins their lives then fine. Way to go. They made the choice based on good information.

I know this sounds harsh, but I think that all the children who grew up in such a world would benefit greatly from it. They would become humans of strong will and integrity, as opposed to the weak and dependent wretches we're raising today.

So, then what do you do with all the messed up people? As King you would probably have to inform you people that you will have to tax them extra in order to take care of the people messed up by drugs, you would have to deal with all the DUI accidents and fatalities (including the funding to have emergency services clean up traffic collision scenes and pick up OD bodies). Cause I mean, a good King would not allow a bunch of sick, disease infested, possibly criminal drug users running around the street.

The, oh well, it is there fault tactic does not always work and you sometimes have repercussions from it that you wish you would never had to deal with.
0 Replies

NorSacDan

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 11:57 pm
Cyracuz wrote:

0 Replies

NorSacDan

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 12:00 am
Adrian wrote:
Quote:
Most people who do hard drugs do not work and turn to a life of crime to pay for there drugs.

I would very much like to see the evidence you have to support this proposition. I doubt you have any, but just in case you do, could you provide a link or a reference?

Well, a lot of this information I have learned through schooling and my job, but a good book to read if you want to learn about drugs, read Uppers, Downers, All Arounders, by Darryl S. Inaba, Pharm.D.
0 Replies

NorSacDan

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 12:11 am
Can of Ham wrote:
Marajuana is not addictive according to scientists. People just supposedly like the high. People on marajuana don't tend to be violent like some alcohol drinkers. It does affect the mind and should be given caution like alcohol when smoked. Personally I don't see a need to put people in the slammer for life for doing or selling it. Use of it may decrease if it is easily attainable. Some people like the thrill of doing something they're not supposed to. I say legalize it and improve social security or medical insurance.

HA Ha, you are right in the first portion you said, but not the rest. One time, when taking someone who was under the influence of Marijuana to the hospital and then jail, he didnt have a single care in the world! He was just happy go lucky, laughing during the car ride and even during booking. Later that night, when he came off his high he came back to reality and realized he had just killed a 29 year old woman and her 8 month old son when he ran her over in broad daylight. He did even know he had hit them. Yeah, maybe we should have just wrote him a ticket and let him go cause he had only smoked "a little" and didnt have any on him...

I doubt use would decrease... if you were offered money for free every day, would you eventually just stop taking it, even if you had to do a little work for it?

Ok, so everyone, including people who dont smoke pot would have to pay for the people who do and their mistakes... well that just makes me want to legalize it even more...
0 Replies

NorSacDan

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 12:17 am
watchmakers guidedog wrote:
Thought...

There is no road-side test for medication which makes you drowsy. Even some non-prescription drugs makes you drowsy. Yet are these banned?

Ergo, there is clearly more to the issue than road safety.

If you drink to much nyquil, you can be arrested for DUI, because it raises your blood alcohol level. If you fall asleep at the wheel, you can be held criminally and civilly responsible for your actions. Falling asleep at the wheel is illegal... if the drug alters your perception or inhibits you it will usually be detected by a law enforcement officer during a traffic stop. Then all he has to do it ask questions and determine whether it is safe for you and others for you to be driving.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 12:19 am
NorSacDan wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Quote:

Well, a lot of this information I have learned through schooling and my job, but a good book to read if you want to learn about drugs, read Uppers, Downers, All Arounders, by Darryl S. Inaba, Pharm.D.

Again I asked to see the the evidence you have that, "most people who do hard drugs do not work and turn to a life of crime to pay for there drugs."

So far you have cited a textbook which, based on a quick review of the chapter outlines, does not seem to contain any such evidence, and your own experience, implying that you somehow know, "most people who do hard drugs".
0 Replies

NorSacDan

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 12:27 am
Adrian wrote:
NorSacDan wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Quote:

Again I asked to see the the evidence you have that, "most people who do hard drugs do not work and turn to a life of crime to pay for there drugs."

So far you have cited a textbook which, based on a quick review of the chapter outlines, does not seem to contain any such evidence, and your own experience, implying that you somehow know, "most people who do hard drugs".

Well you caught me, I made mistake. Through my studies, interviews of drug experts, classes taught by drug experts and work I have come to that conclusion. By hard drugs I mean people who are habitual users, who use several times a day and are dependent on the drug. Most means most, not all.

I guess I should have said, most hard drug users.

and that chapter outline does that book no justice.... thought I'd let you know. It is really a good book if you want to learn about drugs, there effects physically, mentally and on society.
0 Replies

NorSacDan

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 12:42 am
With all that said, I do want to say that I have a bias, just as several of you guys have a bias's. I am a career law enforcement proffesional, but do want to discuss this. I do not mean to personally attack anyone, but sometimes I tend to write a little harder than I should. If you guys want sources or cites, I am sorry, I will try an find some tangible ones for you guys, but much of this info comes to me in the course of studies and employment. I hope you all have a good night! Smile
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 12:53 am
Welcome to A2K NorSacDan. Hope you like the place.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 04:26 am
NorSacDan wrote:
I do think that more people need to be educated about whey drugs really do to you, but the honest truth is that most people dont care.

Where'd you get that from? What makes you think that most people don't care about harming themselves or putting their lives at risk?

And can you stop posting in bold please...
0 Replies

pegasus

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 09:09 pm
Well, some people enjoy a spliff here and there, and others can not stand it. Others shun the term 'drug', and still others live by it.

As for marijuana and its legalization, I suppose it should be legalized as a medical treatment only if these treatments are the only viable solutions for the patients in question. Otherwise, as a sedative and hallucinogen, and a famous one at that, it should be controlled- I believe.

Any opinions?
0 Replies

NorSacDan

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 10:34 pm
agrote wrote:
NorSacDan wrote:
I do think that more people need to be educated about whey drugs really do to you, but the honest truth is that most people dont care.

Where'd you get that from? What makes you think that most people don't care about harming themselves or putting their lives at risk?

ummmm... I didn't say that... Shocked

What I did say that most people dont really care what drugs really do to you. When you tell someone who doesnt do drugs what they do to you, they shrug it of 90% of the time because it doesnt usually pertain to their life. When you tell a drug user what drugs do to them, they usually shrug it off because they enjoy the good feeling and try to ignore the negative effect.

Please pay attention that I am not saying all people......

And I post in bold whenever I answer a question or answer a quote, but if it really bugs you I will break the habit and stop, just let me know.
0 Replies

skinywhtboy

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:21 am
Rights
I have to agree with nordsac. Im in high school and in health class they go through every drug, its effects, who uses it, why they use it, how many people die from it, how many teens die from it, how u grow it. I look around and No one is interested. No one seems to care as much as the parents and governmental figures stress the point. Its just the way people are shortsighted, you cant change it. Here is basically what goes through most peoples subconscious. Cannabis is a drug and it stimulates your brain. Okay, where can i get it? Shocked
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:57 pm
NorSacDan wrote:
agrote wrote:
NorSacDan wrote:

What I did say that most people dont really care what drugs really do to you. When you tell someone who doesnt do drugs what they do to you, they shrug it of 90% of the time because it doesnt usually pertain to their life. When you tell a drug user what drugs do to them, they usually shrug it off because they enjoy the good feeling and try to ignore the negative effect.

And I post in bold whenever I answer a question or answer a quote, but if it really bugs you I will break the habit and stop, just let me know.

But where do you get that impression from? What has led you to believe that people generally tend to not care abotu the effects of drugs? I'm not convinced that pot smoekrs won't respond to the informatio nthat, if you are susceptible, smoking pot can trigger mental illness.

And yes, it bugs me. Razz
0 Replies

NorSacDan

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 05:52 pm
agrote wrote:
NorSacDan wrote:
agrote wrote:
NorSacDan wrote:

But where do you get that impression from? What has led you to believe that people generally tend to not care abotu the effects of drugs? I'm not convinced that pot smoekrs won't respond to the informatio nthat, if you are susceptible, smoking pot can trigger mental illness.

Ok, I won't post in bold. Very Happy

I get that impression from several of my friends from High School who new the effect of the drugs they were doing and that it could potentially kill them, one of them it did, and yet they continued to do the drug. The reason they gave me was that the feeling overpowered the negative effects. Now you may deal with different people, but even to this day, most the drug users I come in contact with know the consequences of there actions and still use the drug(s).

But as I said, the people you know may have more common sense, or more disipline, but from my experiences, that is not the case.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 09:56 pm
NorSacDan wrote:
agrote wrote:
NorSacDan wrote:
agrote wrote:
NorSacDan wrote:

Ok, I won't post in bold. Very Happy

I get that impression from several of my friends from High School who new the effect of the drugs they were doing and that it could potentially kill them, one of them it did, and yet they continued to do the drug. The reason they gave me was that the feeling overpowered the negative effects. Now you may deal with different people, but even to this day, most the drug users I come in contact with know the consequences of there actions and still use the drug(s).

But as I said, the people you know may have more common sense, or more disipline, but from my experiences, that is not the case.

But how do you know they didn't care about the negative effects of drugs? Maybe they just made an informed decision to take the risk and continue to use the drugs. I don't think that the purpose of drug education is to stop people using drugs - it's to make sure that people are aware of the risks.
0 Replies