Legalize Marijuana? Why or Why not?

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 11:03 pm
Ijust smoked some a while ago and watched Spinal Tap. I'm just in that pleasant sort of coming down stage.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 01:00 am
Quote:
It makes sense for something like heroin to be illegal, because it is highly addictive, life-threatening,...

Nicotine is more addictive than heroin.

If taken correctly, good quality heroin is not the least bit life threatening.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 06:35 am
Adrian wrote:
Nicotine is more addictive than heroin.

If taken correctly, good quality heroin is not the least bit life threatening.

Probably. But I haven't heard of many people who take heroin without putting their lives at risk. Nicotine is more addictive than heroin, but not as dangerous, I don't think, and it's currently legal, so if we wanted to make it illegal it would take many many years. What I mean is that I can see many reasons to keep heroin illegal, but not many reasons to keep cannabis illegal - I was just trying to make that distinction between marijuana and hard drugs.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 06:41 am
I think nicotine is just as damaging as heroin. There is no line between drugs. If you want to be fair you either outlaw or decriminalize all drugs. That some selected drugs are legal and others not have only to do with capitalists and money. The tobacco and alcohol producers have a hold on the economy, and they will not give that up easily.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 07:06 am
A) Nothing's going to stop it from existing. They've tried really hard without success.
B) If it isn't legal it's blackmarket, thus putting money into the hands of criminals and organised crime.
C) Legalised it can be controlled.
D) Legalised it can be taxed for huge profits and still be cheaper than black-market.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 12:52 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
I think nicotine is just as damaging as heroin. There is no line between drugs. If you want to be fair you either outlaw or decriminalize all drugs. That some selected drugs are legal and others not have only to do with capitalists and money. The tobacco and alcohol producers have a hold on the economy, and they will not give that up easily.

There is a line. I'll give a more obvious example: there are some decent arguments for keeping heroin illegal, since it does kill people and ruin lives, whereas there is no need to be banning coffee. Although maybe legalising and regulating all drugs might be a decent option, banning all drugs is a ridiculous option.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 06:20 am
My main concern about banning anything is that it deprives people of the choice. We should discourage use of drugs, but the choice should be left to the individual, with the intention of raising strong and independent members of society. Let evolution do its thing.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 02:49 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
My main concern about banning anything is that it deprives people of the choice. We should discourage use of drugs, but the choice should be left to the individual, with the intention of raising strong and independent members of society. Let evolution do its thing.

Not a bad idea. Except discouraging the use of some drugs is absolutely unnecessary of course... Laughing

Maybe it's better to educate, rather than discourage - teach people all the facts about all the drugs without bias, then let them make their own minds up. In my experience, at schools in England they spend too much time preaching lies about drugs and not enough time actually outlining all the facts about drugs.

I and many others believe that marijuana is, on the whole, a fairly safe drug to use. But one of the biggest dangers of using cannabis is that it can trigger schizophrenia in those who are prone. School didn't tell me this, my mum did. School instead decided to show us a video telling us the lie that, "the only people who take drugs are people who hate life." Why use lies and scare tactics when there are a plenty of facts to support the argument that smoking cannabis is, perhaps, not wise? Anyway I'm completely digressing, sorry...

Legalisation and education is a bonnie idea, methinks.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 09:13 am
You all know how the mind of a teenager works. If you say NO, there is little in the world that is more exciting than what is banned.

If you say "Do whatever you want, but remember that you must face the consequences of your actions", I'm sure the outcome would be different. A kid would be much more careful with drugs if he knew that he would not get help if he became addicted.

That's how my world would work were I king. Do whatever you want and pay the price. Educate kids about the facts of drugs and drug use, then tell them that if they start, wich they are free to do if they want, they must face the consequences. If drugs ruins their lives then fine. Way to go. They made the choice based on good information.

I know this sounds harsh, but I think that all the children who grew up in such a world would benefit greatly from it. They would become humans of strong will and integrity, as opposed to the weak and dependent wretches we're raising today.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 10:43 am
Cyracuz wrote:
You all know how the mind of a teenager works. If you say NO, there is little in the world that is more exciting than what is banned.

If you say "Do whatever you want, but remember that you must face the consequences of your actions", I'm sure the outcome would be different. A kid would be much more careful with drugs if he knew that he would not get help if he became addicted.

That's how my world would work were I king. Do whatever you want and pay the price. Educate kids about the facts of drugs and drug use, then tell them that if they start, wich they are free to do if they want, they must face the consequences. If drugs ruins their lives then fine. Way to go. They made the choice based on good information.

I know this sounds harsh, but I think that all the children who grew up in such a world would benefit greatly from it. They would become humans of strong will and integrity, as opposed to the weak and dependent wretches we're raising today.

I agree. Well said.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 10:43 am
Cyracuz wrote:

I agree. Well said.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 06:29 pm
because i like smoking pot, but i don't like being a criminal
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 06:49 pm
Hell Yeah!, 'cause...'cause..................What was the question? Cool
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:12 pm
Laughing

Okay seriously; every year, more people die from alcohol, than heroin, marijuana, cocaine, and firearms, put together. And nicotene kills compositly more.
The Harrison act was origanally formulated to fight alcohol. Racism led to it being later focused on other drugs. In fact, heroin was at one time used to fight alcoholism.
Criminal acts perpetrated to obtain drugs, are caused by ridculas prices.Here's two facts to put that in perspective: a) Before the Panic of the early sixties, heroin was so cheap everyday working people would get together with friends and have heroin parties. It wasn't neccesary to commit crimes to abtain it. b) When people are in holding cells awaiting trial, a single cigarette can be sold for 1 to 5 dollars.
I learned most of this good stuff at The John Jay College of Criminology.
0 Replies

Can of Ham

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 10:31 pm
Marajuana is not addictive according to scientists. People just supposedly like the high. People on marajuana don't tend to be violent like some alcohol drinkers. It does affect the mind and should be given caution like alcohol when smoked. Personally I don't see a need to put people in the slammer for life for doing or selling it. Use of it may decrease if it is easily attainable. Some people like the thrill of doing something they're not supposed to. I say legalize it and improve social security or medical insurance.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 10:39 pm
booman2 wrote:

Okay seriously; every year, more people die from alcohol, than heroin, marijuana, cocaine, and firearms, put together. And nicotene kills compositly more.

If true, this may be easily construed as an argument against legalization.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 03:11 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
booman2 wrote:

If true, this may be easily construed as an argument against legalization.

How so?
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 08:58 pm
Because it could then be argued that the reason why illicit drugs kill less people than alchohol and nicotine is because they are illicit and that legalising them would cause the number of people they kill to rise...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 11:02 pm
To expound:

There is a missing component from booman2's argument if it is to be seen as an argument in favor of legalization. It must demonstrate that the difference in lethality is due to inherent differences between the substances. Otherwise, as Adrian pointed out, the differentiating factor can be argued to be legalization itself.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 02:54 am
I think legalisation is a fraughtish step.

I am in favour of decriminalization of possession of personal use amounts - (of course, there is an only arbitrary cut-off for this - but c'est la vie).

Governments can continue - as they do in my state - to fine people for possession, as with a traffic offense - but it stops the negative effects of criminalizing a large segment of the population, and you can still fret about sale and such.
0 Replies