Is this diet very unhealthy or okay?

Thu 24 Jan, 2019 04:25 am
Background info: Male, works out a lot, jogs, BMI is 25

A typical week:

Monday: Breakfast: Energy drink, chocolate, lunch: hamburgers with French fries, water, Dinner: cereals, milk, apple, a Cupcake, Popcorn
Tuesday: Breakfast: Energy Drink with Chocolate, lunch: Lasagna, coffee, water, Apple, Dinner: Cornflakes, tangerines
Wednesday: Breakfast: Cake, Tangerines, Coffee, Lunch: Riz Casimir, Water, Dinner: Cupcake, Cereals, Milkshake, Popcorn
Thursday: Breakfast: Milkshakes, Energy Drink, Lunch: French Fries, Smoothies, Dinner: Cornflakes, Milkshake, Grapes, Raw Carrots
Friday: Breakfast: Banana, Cupcake, Energy Drink, Lunch: Hamburgers, Cheeseburgers, French Fries, Dinner: Grapes, Banana, Cupcakes
Saturday: Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs with Ham, bread rolls, coffee, Lunch: Chili (with lean chicken meat, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans of course), tomatoes salad, Dinner: Cereals, tomatoes salad, raw carrots
Sunday: Breakfast: Pancakes, Energy Drink, Apples, Lunch: Ghoulash with Chicken Meat and Vegetables, fruit salad (from Bananas, Grapes, Kiwis), Dinner: Cereals, Cupcake, Pocorn

Drinks, when not mentioned otherwise: water, between meals a) chocolate, cupcakes, Popcorn but also b) psyllium husk fibre.

Thank you very much for your opinion

jespah

Thu 24 Jan, 2019 07:10 am
@LiketoKnow,
That's a lot of cupcakes and energy drinks. I'm not a doctor but you're getting a lot of calories from carbs and fat with the cupcakes and virtually nothing else -- no fiber, protein, vitamins, minerals, etc. Popcorn at least gives you fiber. You're getting nothing from cupcakes beyond empty calories.

Energy drinks are basically just stimulants and carbs.

You're also eating a lot of hamburgers and fries, which means you're likely getting more salt than you should. Hamburgers are also fatty, and the buns and the white potatoes (which usually have the really nutritious part, the skin, peeled off and thrown out when making fries) are a festival of carbs.

Plug your foods (and be honest about the portion sizes!) into a food tracker like on the Samsung health app, Sparkpeople, Livestrong, or the like and get a good look at where you're deficient. I strongly suspect you're not getting enough:
  • calcium
  • fiber
  • potassium
  • protein except on the weekends
Also, an energy drink of coffee every morning tells me you may not be getting enough sleep.

Check a tracker just to be sure, but I'm doubtful that this is a good diet.
tsarstepan

Thu 24 Jan, 2019 08:33 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

[*] fiber

He seemingly is getting some amount of fiber.

LiketoKnow wrote:

A typical week:
between meals a) chocolate, cupcakes, Popcorn but also b) psyllium husk fibre.

Popcorn and what I assume is a dietary supplement added to what he's drinking. As for if it's enough? What we're also missing is the poster's age.

Otherwise, there seemingly is too much sugar and fat in this diet. Even for someone who claims to be physically active. Could be fine for now but not a diet that will age well when the poster ages into his 30s or older.
0 Replies

LiketoKnow

Thu 24 Jan, 2019 10:57 am
@jespah and @tsarstepan Thank you both very much for your answers. It was very interesting to read and I learned a lot. I think I did not give enough info.

Additional info: in his 30s, not a smoker, works out 30 min to one hour on a weekday, works out between 1 and 3 hours on Saturday/Sunday, cannot do everything because of mild disability, sederitary job, eats at work and there is limited choice of food, has insomnia (reason for energy drinks), has mental health problems and trouble eating right, very unhappy with weight/BMI.

Is the diet okay under this conditions? Or how could it be changed? I know it is not healthful and it is not to be recommend but is it okay?
tsarstepan

Thu 24 Jan, 2019 11:37 am
@LiketoKnow,
Sorry but I'm not a dietician or have a medical background. I can't really answer beyond my own ... anecdotal understanding of food and nutrition.
LiketoKnow

Thu 24 Jan, 2019 11:43 am
@tsarstepan,
Thanks a lot nevertheless.
Our physician said that diet was not okay.
Actually it is not my own diet which describe here but that of my husband. I just did not say so first, because I did not want to be blamed as the interfering wife.

Physician says it is not okay... but people with mental health problems and loved ones of people with mental health problems tell me that maybe it is the best he can do (and that I should stop creating more problems for him by nannying him). Our physician says he should change his diet but might have poor understanding of mental health. His therapist says he has poor understanding of diet and he should talk to the physician again.

He is currently rather healthy but we have been told he will run into problems in the long run. I am Abitur afraid that it might cause health problems... and he is very unhappy with his weight which dies damage to his self esteem.
tsarstepan

Thu 24 Jan, 2019 11:48 am
@LiketoKnow,
LiketoKnow wrote:

He is currently rather healthy but we have been told he will run into problems in the long run.

You're definitely right there and the doctor knows it. He's probably inherited some really efficient metabolism from his family but that can only go so far as one ages. Keeping this diet as long as possible can only lead to terrible things (heartaches included) and it will be that much more difficult to break away from the older he gets and the longer it becomes a lifelong habit of a diet.

Rooting for you that he gets more than an epiphany and tries to change (even if its a modicum of dietary changes here or there).
0 Replies

chai2

Thu 24 Jan, 2019 02:06 pm
@LiketoKnow,
LiketoKnow wrote:

I know it is not healthful and it is not to be recommend but is it okay?

so you know it's not healthful.

so you know it's not recommended.

what exactly is your definition of "okay" knowing those 2 things?
0 Replies

LiketoKnow

Thu 24 Jan, 2019 02:20 pm
@tsarstephan: Thank you

@Chai2: My definition of okay? That it is okay to eat like this for a while, a few years, and it does not do any damage.
Well, he has mental health problems. PTSD to be accurate. This is not inborn and hopefully it will be gone one day... so basically that it is okay to eat like this until he is feeling better.

Physicians are often health N*zis, who accept only the most perfect diet. So I thought that the physician might be exaggerating and his advice that he must change his diet might be OTT.
I wonder if there are many people who eat like this. If 30 percent of the population eat like this then there would be no reason to be stressed.
chai2

Thu 24 Jan, 2019 02:25 pm
@LiketoKnow,
what does it matter how many people eat this way? somehow that makes it fine? you know that makes no sense.

seems like you're seeking some kind of loophole as in terms of time or how many people do whatever.

You know it's not healthful, I'm sure he knows it's not healthful.

He is a grown man and can make his own decisions.

Linkat

Thu 24 Jan, 2019 02:30 pm
@LiketoKnow,
The other things not mentioned - I did not see much in the way of vegetables - you should be replacing some of your snacks/meals with more vegetables and fruit. It seems like you might have one or two servings of fruit and not even one a day of veggies.

Think of ways you can incorporate them in your diet - like the chili you noted. Add a salad with things you like in it - or to your scramble eggs add some mushrooms, broccoli or whatever veggie you like.

Instead of rice - you can use cauliflower rice -most people do not even notice the difference.

Forget the fries they are terrible for you - change that up with something else - a salad or if you are really craving fries try sweet potato fries they are better for you.

I would if I were you, go through the list of things that add little or no nutrition and see what you can replace it with.

But you definately need to add more veggies and less meat to your diet (not to mention all the items with sugar - cupcake, energy drink, chocolate, milkshake) - you can have these just cut it to a couple a week.
LiketoKnow

Thu 24 Jan, 2019 08:24 pm
@chai2,
Yes, he knows it is not healthful but has a hard time changing it. I started another thread and hope that one explains more.
0 Replies

LiketoKnow

Thu 24 Jan, 2019 08:30 pm
@Linkat,
Thank you very much for the answers and for your examples. The rice, fries and so on are served at his work. Unfortunately they do not serve healthy food there. They typically serve three dishes to choose from as well as fries/burgers... but if ou are late there isonly fries/burgers left. He is often late because he cannot stop doing what he is doing and wants to finish his task at work first.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Fri 25 Jan, 2019 11:18 pm
@LiketoKnow,
Learn the business:
www.amazon.com/Adelle-Davis/e/B001J3RULO These books are old (1959), but still the most popular books for introduction to the field.
www.adelledavis.org/
cronometer.com/ (I haven't tried the software.)
charlesatlas.com/ An exercise plan that has been successful for over 80 years and requires no equipment
0 Replies

arjunsharda

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 02:16 am
@LiketoKnow,
That's not fine at all, you have to change your diet for healthy and quality lifestyle.
0 Replies

janjive

Thu 4 Apr, 2019 03:05 am
In nutrition, diet is the sum of food consumed by a person or other organism. The word diet often implies the use of a specific intake of nutrition for health or weight-management reasons. So diet is completely healthy
0 Replies

hightor

Thu 4 Apr, 2019 06:31 am
@LiketoKnow,
Too much chocolate, dairy, and processed carbohydrates like cake and corn flakes.
0 Replies

profilehair01

Fri 5 Apr, 2019 04:57 am
@LiketoKnow,
That's not a proper healthy diet.
0 Replies

pallavigupta12

Fri 5 Apr, 2019 05:18 am
@LiketoKnow,
THIS DIET IS OKAY WHEN EAT NORMAL QUANTITY
0 Replies

manishsharma12

Sat 6 Apr, 2019 12:54 am
@LiketoKnow,
In my opinion, I don't think its a healthy diet.
0 Replies