CalMax Calcium Supplement

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 02:01 pm
My Aunt in Law gave me this stuff to take because I am lactose intolerant and must take calcium. I was wondering if anyone has taken this before, heard about it, anything. I know it won't hurt me but I don't want to take it if it is totally useless. I need the calcium. Specifically, I am curious about the elemental calcium in it. It contains 400mg of calcium gluconate. I called the number to order but of course the person there had no idea what I was talking about. "I've never heard of elemental calcium....it has calcium gluconate in it..." What an idiot.

For that matter, what do you know about calcium gluconate? Is it better, worse or the same as other calciums? (Citrate, carbonate...etc...)

Thanks for any info!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,293 • Replies: 13
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 10:34 pm
Bella, I remember that different calcium compounds provide calcium differently, some much better than others, but I don't remember the details.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:49 am
Whatever form of calcium you take, make sure you take it with vitamin D. Your body needs D to take up the calcium.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 11:05 am
This crap makes whatever you put it in taste AWFUL!!!! YUCK!!!! Mad Confused
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 11:07 am
If it tastes awful, can't you buy calcium pills?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 11:10 am
Yes, I am going back to the pills! I can't drink this sh*t! I hate calcium pills because they are HUGE and hard to swallow and I have to cut them. But....they are better than this. Ick.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 11:12 am
I just wanted to try this because you dissolve it into water and then put it into juice; not nearly as traumatic as trying to swallow a horse pill. It has a slight lemon smell but holy crap does it taste awful....it made my V8 berry Blend Splash taste almost bitter.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 11:31 am
Bella, Try Viactiv. They're chewy cnadies in lots of flavors. My favorite is the caramel. they also contain vitamin D. They are delish.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 11:39 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Yes, I am going back to the pills! I can't drink this sh*t! I hate calcium pills because they are HUGE and hard to swallow and I have to cut them. But....they are better than this. Ick.

We can no longer be friends. Slappy don't talk to women who can't swallow.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 11:40 am
Swimpy wrote:
Bella, Try Viactiv. They're chewy cnadies in lots of flavors. My favorite is the caramel. they also contain vitamin D. They are delish.

They also contain lactose. Which is a no no for the lactose intolerant. Sad
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 01:24 pm
Bella Dia,

Swimpy is correct about your needing vitamin D at the same time as the calcium, for the calcium to be absorbed properly.

My wife needs to take calcium, too--but the pills, just as you describe, are right out of equine veterinary medicine.

If you take a good multivitamin supplement, it will probably contain 400 IU of vitamin D (check side panel on container), which is 100% daily value. Then, you could chew two of your favorite flavor of Maximum Strength Tums (which are a calcium supplement as well as an antacid) sometime near in time, and the two Tums would give you 1600mg. of calcium, or 1.6X your daily value.

There are undoubtedly other sources for the calcium, but Tums are inexpensive! Any doubts about this mix, or how much to take, I'd ask your doc. These days, good young physicians know quite a lot about supplements.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 01:45 pm
Miklos7 wrote:
Bella Dia,

Swimpy is correct about your needing vitamin D at the same time as the calcium, for the calcium to be absorbed properly.

My wife needs to take calcium, too--but the pills, just as you describe, are right out of equine veterinary medicine.

If you take a good multivitamin supplement, it will probably contain 400 IU of vitamin D (check side panel on container), which is 100% daily value. Then, you could chew two of your favorite flavor of Maximum Strength Tums (which are a calcium supplement as well as an antacid) sometime near in time, and the two Tums would give you 1600mg. of calcium, or 1.6X your daily value.

There are undoubtedly other sources for the calcium, but Tums are inexpensive! Any doubts about this mix, or how much to take, I'd ask your doc. These days, good young physicians know quite a lot about supplements.

ya know, I never thought about Tums....

I have a lot of stomach problems so my doctor had me start taking Flinstones vitamins Embarrassed because they are easy on your stomach. They make them with Calcium but not enough for a grown up. (160 mg) They have enough vit. D in them so I am not worried about that.

I am going to start taking Tums....cheaper and easier to swallow! Thanks! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 02:51 pm
These articles seem good to me -
http://www.nof.org/prevention/calcium_supplements.htm
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/calcium.html
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 03:05 pm
Thanks Osso!
0 Replies