Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 02:39 am
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
I would like to take this opportunity to point out that, even if "the good doctor" confirms the "story"--we still won't know if it is indeed a story, or the truth. As independent confirmation would have to come from Edmonton, thousands of miles away, the "good doctor" is well placed to make such an assertion with little fear of contradiction.
This is precisely why I stated that the only method that seemed guaranteed to satisfy both proponent and skeptic in this forum is the scientifc method of experimentation.

Many, I think, would not accept any evidentiary testimony from others, no matter how many witnesses it came from.

Many seem to have as their only method of argumentation to shout "Prove it . Prove it." and hope that it seems that they are being objective.

In the real world, it is customary for one asking a question ( one seeking out information ) to accept input gracefully; not shout down anyone who dares to attempt to help him answer the question that he asked. This is true whether the question is "How do I know faith healing really works?" or "How do I drive a stick shift, rear wheel drive pickup in the snow?"

To restate as mentioned earlier, if anyone doubts that faith healing can work, all he need do to experimentally prove/disprove it to himself is to:

--Find out under what conditions God says He will answer prayer;

--Be completely certain that you meet those conditions; and

--Pray for some sick folks.

(Admittedly, it is much easier to sit back and naysay.)

Read my post on the previous page.

The conclusion that I've come up with faith healing to the total exclusion of conventional medicine, forced onto children is equal to child abuse, or at least, neglect.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:25 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
[The conclusion that I've come up with faith healing to the total exclusion of conventional medicine, forced onto children is equal to child abuse, or at least, neglect.
Who here has suggested anything remotely like that, Wolf? No one has suggested that simply because you pray you cannot go to the doctor.

One of the four gospels was written by a physician.

Most physicians that I know are very supportive of their patients who pray, and express genuine gratitude when told they someone has prayed that their skill as a doctor would be guided by God for the benefit of the patient.

However even the best physicians cannot do everything. There are many chronic conditions with which even the best methods and practitioners can do little or nothing.

If your parent or child were sick and someone said that they would be praying for them, would you tell them to stop? Maybe you would.

What would reliance on conventional medicine to the exclusion of everything else be? Well in some cases not a very good result.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:30 am
real life wrote:

How shall i put this in the most charitable construction?

That statement requires quite a stretch of the imagination.

Wolf, in at least one case here in Ohio, a couple were prosecuted for child endangerment for exactly that reason. I did try to find a link before i posted this, but the story is old enough that i couldn't find it in the archives of The Columbus Dispatch, the The Cleveland Plain Dealer, The Cincinatti Enquirer or The Toledo Blade. If i have the time, and remember to do (this thread is rather low on my event horizon), i'll check a little deeper.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:46 am
timberlandko wrote:
neologist, I just gotta ask - are you a fan of C. S. Lewis?
A minor fan - I've read only a few of his works. I share his disdain for the pharisee, but am not in agreement with him on doctrines. I think he swallowed the spoon along with the tonic. I would have enjoyed a cool one with him, I'm sure; as I would with you.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:38 am
Isn't it the Scientologists that will not let a licensed physician heal their children of any illness? What more need be said?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:47 am
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:

How shall i put this in the most charitable construction?

That statement requires quite a stretch of the imagination.

Wolf, in at least one case here in Ohio, a couple were prosecuted for child endangerment for exactly that reason. I did try to find a link before i posted this, but the story is old enough that i couldn't find it in the archives of The Columbus Dispatch, the The Cleveland Plain Dealer, The Cincinatti Enquirer or The Toledo Blade. If i have the time, and remember to do (this thread is rather low on my event horizon), i'll check a little deeper.
No documentation is necessary since nearly everyone is familiar with stories of , for instance, Jehovah's Witnesses that refuse blood transfusions, etc.

I think what I said was NO ONE HERE that believes in faith healing has suggested anything like that as a course of action.

So to your point: Why is the fact that one of the writers of the Gospels a physician by occupation deemed "a stretch" in your opinion, and what verifiable facts do you have to back it up?
0 Replies

gospelmancan2

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:15 pm
Setanta wrote:
, in at least one case here in Ohio, a couple were prosecuted for child endangerment for exactly that reason.

I can imagine that there are cases out there where people who had children under medical treatment and the kids died died without going to a faith healing meeting.
The number of cases where people die from medical treatment far outweigh
the cases of the type you allude to.
In most Christian circles it is taught that you should not stop medical treatment or fail to seek it when believing for a healing through faith. The bible says James 1:17 "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning." Medicines and medical procedures are seen as good things and are thusly accepted and encouraged. Other points of view are held by smaller sects and are not encouraged by the bulk of believers.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:18 pm
real life wrote:
So to your point: Why is the fact that one of the writers of the Gospels a physician by occupation deemed "a stretch" in your opinion, and what verifiable facts do you have to back it up?

Let me answer that with another question. Do you think that people who "practiced medicine" 2000 years ago are reasonably compared to modern physicians?

To that extent, it is a disingenuous description.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:37 pm
If you're at sea swimming, and you see sharks headed your way, you can pray, but it helps to swim bat out of hell too!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 03:45 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
If you're at sea swimming, and you see sharks headed your way, you can pray, but it helps to swim bat out of hell too!

Amen to that Laughing
0 Replies

puglia

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 12:47 am
I believe Faith healing is real, under the correct conditions you can achieve success. The answer is within you. And also within the recipient.

Please chime in on your final vote.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 09:25 am
naw...
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 09:30 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
naw...
See, we agree on something.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 09:33 am
neo, I even have disagreements with my wife; there's bound to be some area of agreement with most people on this planet - don't you think?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 09:35 am
Puglia seems to have found an especially disagreeable posture.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 11:01 am
gospelmancan2 wrote:
I can imagine that there are cases out there where people who had children under medical treatment and the kids died died without going to a faith healing meeting.

So can I?

[qutoe]The number of cases where people die from medical treatment far outweigh the cases of the type you allude to.[/quote]

Maybe, maybe, or maybe its that there are more reported cases of people dying after medical treatment because doctors don't generally record any details on a patient's faith or any faith healing actions.

Quote:
In most Christian circles it is taught that you should not stop medical treatment or fail to seek it when believing for a healing through faith. The bible says James 1:17 "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning." Medicines and medical procedures are seen as good things and are thusly accepted and encouraged. Other points of view are held by smaller sects and are not encouraged by the bulk of believers.

Exactly and it is these small sects that endanger the child.

real life wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
The conclusion that I've come up with faith healing to the total exclusion of conventional medicine, forced onto children is equal to child abuse, or at least, neglect.

Who here has suggested anything remotely like that, Wolf? No one has suggested that simply because you pray you cannot go to the doctor.

Have you read what I said?

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/reprint/101/4/625.pdf

This is the study that suggested to me that children forced to undergo faith healing to the exclusion of conventional medicine amounts fo child abuse.

And no, no one has blatantly suggested that faith healing is so real that there is no need for conventional medicine, but it was implied. If faith healing works as well as some proponents here claim it to, then why need conventional medicine?

The answer, because it doesn't work as well as those proponents claim it to do.

Quote:
Most physicians that I know are very supportive of their patients who pray, and express genuine gratitude when told they someone has prayed that their skill as a doctor would be guided by God for the benefit of the patient.

Of course that's the case!

What physician in their right mind would insult a patient by not being supportive of their prayers and not express genuine gratitude for someone thinking well of them?

Quote:
However even the best physicians cannot do everything. There are many chronic conditions with which even the best methods and practitioners can do little or nothing.

If your parent or child were sick and someone said that they would be praying for them, would you tell them to stop? Maybe you would.

Of course I wouldn't, because prayer is like a birthday present. It's the thought that counts.

Quote:
What would reliance on conventional medicine to the exclusion of everything else be? Well in some cases not a very good result.

If faith healing works (which it doesn't) then there is no need for conventional medicine. That, I believe, is the main topic being discussed.

Prayer is well-intentioned and can make a patient feel psychologically better and maybe happier. Happiness does not heal, but it is wonderful at alleviating stress which can make an illness get worse. There is nothing spiritual about it. There is no complicated quantum physics or biology involved. It's all simple.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 11:11 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

And no, no one has blatantly suggested that faith healing is so real that there is no need for conventional medicine, but it was implied.
Instead of throwing out vague accusations, why don't you state who you think implied this and with what statement they did so?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 11:23 am
To assume that more people die from medical treatment sure skews the reality; if my child gets injured from any accident or serious illness, the first thing I will do is to take them to a doctor/hospital. Those who don't will only endanger their child's life.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 12:01 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
To assume that more people die from medical treatment sure skews the reality; if my child gets injured from any accident or serious illness, the first thing I will do is to take them to a doctor/hospital. Those who don't will only endanger their child's life.
US Dept of Health & Human Services website cites figures showing "Based on these studies, the Institute of Medicine (IOM), an independent body that is part of the National Academy of Sciences, estimated that as many as 44,000 to 98,000 Americans die in hospitals each year as a result of medical errors" see www.hhs.gov/news/press/2002pres/safety.html

As you're on your way to the doctor or to the hospital with your child, I recommend that you pray.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 12:23 pm
Naw, not necessary. Have taken our children to the hospital when they were children as needed, and they are now healthy adults who can care for themselves.
0 Replies