• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,936 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 01:41 am
This is for real!

For the last month I have been afflicted with an itchy condition. It is a raised bump that is as itchy as hell. It occurs mostly on my feet, legs, fore-arms and hands.... it is driving me very slowly insane!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 01:46 am
On initial diagnosis it appears to be insect bites. But, there are no damn insects to do the biting - mosquitos and sandflies aren't in the house and there a no fleas (brand new carpets before I moved in), it ain't bedbugs either (wrong kind of bites) and it ain't scabies!!

It does not follow a pattern or stick to any particular body part. It even ravaged my backside (photos available on request with proof that the reciprient is over 18 years old) and I had to stand at work for days filing goddam papers when all I wanted to do was chuck them in the air, drop my strides and grab both my ass cheeks and SCRATCH. HARD!!!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 01:49 am
Seen two GPs who can't supply a reason. Got some creams that sort of help, but it won't go away. I try not to scratch, but its like when you know you should look at/do something and you are drawn to it.

Sheets are stained and spotted with blood. I have a lovely white shirt on right now and the sleeves look as though I work in a slaughterhouse.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 01:50 am
Doesn't appear to be an allergy to either food or the environment I'm in. Any clues A2Kers?? I will take reasonable suggestions - Gus is strictly forbidden from posting here.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 03:53 am
For your species, are you approaching the onset of puberty?

Perhaps a cold-filtered malt beverage could be introduced orally, with
a reapplication after 15 minutes.
It's worth a shot.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 04:24 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
This is for real!

For the last month I have been afflicted with an itchy condition. It is a raised bump that is as itchy as hell. It occurs mostly on my feet, legs, fore-arms and hands.... it is driving me very slowly insane!

Hey, Stilly, I think I've got the same affliction. Not too many of the little blighters & mine appear on different body sites to yours. (arms, boob, stomach, leg ....) They linger!
Today a (second) chemist suggested a pill for hay fever complaints ... specifically for itching skin conditions. Allergies, she says ... I'll let you know how it goes & if this works.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 04:44 am
I was fine...until I read this thread. Now I itch. I want to scratch. I don't know why...........
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 04:51 am
Aargh - stress can cause skin problems.

Anti-skin-allergy stuff may help - but relaaaaaaaaaaaaax........
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 04:53 am
Deb

Stress? Now I can relate to that!
Could be, Stilly ...
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 05:26 am
Lessee . . . Your skin is the most massive organ in your body. When one part of it breaks down, the entire thing fails to function, er, smoothly.

1) Drink large quantities of water all day long, to ensure that dryness is not putting speed-bumps onto your lymphatic side streets.

2) Elimate all fabric softeners from your laundry. This made a huge difference for me, and I don't even have any allergies. Wearing chemi-coated clothes for even one week makes my skin go skizzy!

3) Minimize your contact with paper (sorry!). The dust is incredible. My lungs, throat, and skin seem to share the same reactions to it, but only when massively exposed to old, disintegrating paper.

4) Observe your exposure to chemicals and artificial environments. Are you partaking of enough trees, dirt and grass, to offset the polyvinyl-tri-itchicide?
Some offices or buildings are known as "sick buildings" and nobody can figure out why. They're subtle but over time the chemical bombardment grows on you.

5) Excessive dairy can trigger or support allergies. You been chugging milk again? Large hunks of cheese are nature's way of saying "go coagulate yourself!"

6) Change your brand of Tequila. They have one with a scorpion now, instead of a worm.

. . . Random ideas. No basis in fact. Use only as directed. Pregnant women should apply with caution when operating heavy machinery.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:26 am
Is it hives, Mr. Stillwater? I've had them before. You can go to the emergency room and get a shot that will make them go away. I've had to do that twice.

What does the doctor say?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 09:36 am
I've had that, Stilly. It is actually not as uncommon as it sounds, as once I started mentioning it to people, some explained they have or had it at some point too (my dentist, for example).

In any case, to cut to the chase, mine responded to Benedryl pills, which are antihistamines; thus I know my itchiness was some kind of allergic response. I never did find out what triggers it and I went through many efforts at eliminating this or that. I did go to several doctors regarding it. Interestingly, the process seemed to replace my old nasal allergies. I'd rather sneeze...

Since antihistamines can make you sleepy, I'd just try one, or part of one, and see if that works. At some point I was taking antihistamines more than once a day (and yes, I was prescribed Claritin and Allegra in turn; Benedryl worked better and was much cheaper) but I weaned myself off of them and only have flareups of this sillyness once in a while.

I presume some level of antigen tolerance is surpassed, and the body responds with the itchiness/hives.

Good luck.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 10:27 am
What is it with doctors that they can't figure this stuff out?

I've seen my doc twice about a skin problem and have had no results from anything we've tried.

I go see her again on Friday and I'm going to refuse to leave her office until she gives me a referral to a dermatologist.

<grumblegrumblegrumble>

STRESS!

Stress cause it......

It causes stress......

Lather, rinse, repeat.

<grumblegrumblegrumble>

Anyway - it could be a million things Mr. Stillwater. During my wanderings I came across this really good site that lists many different problems with many different causes: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/skinhairandnails.html
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:10 am
Still got 'em. My forearms are battle-zones!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:23 am
My sympathy, Stilly. Sad I can relate!
Got a few new ones a couple of days ago. Continuing with the cream & also the allergy pills - temporary relief only. Got soap subsitute & new non-allergy face wash, changed my washing machine liquid. Let's hope SOMETHING works! This is very annoying! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:28 am
Pop some aloe vera on your itchy bits, Stilly.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:31 am
I tried washing with 'Pinetarsol' as is relieves itching. It didn't and I just smelt like a wood-fired stove that some-one put out with a hose.

I mean just because I have to find a new job, a new house, new clothes, ogle young bosoms* and represent myself in the Family Court of Australia - how could that be considered STRESSFUL!?

<no touchy, you old perv!>
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 03:06 pm
try icing the itchy bits (that means putting ice on them, coolpacks, etc., not that which goes on top of birthday cakes, you nutter!)

?drug allergy?
Some antihistamines may help- perhaps a sedating one at night.

listening.....
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 01:30 am
I'm suprised no one suggested an enema, a lobotomy or being beaten with a mackeral*!!

It would appear to be abating.... no coincidence that I have sorted out a couple of serious personal issues Shocked

*no way, deb - they might be covered by Medicare, you might personally recommend them, I still ain't buying!!
0 Replies