need wedding ring advice.....

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:43 pm
If you can find out if she likes diamonds, in and of themselves, I really like what my husband did -- he proposed with the diamond, like literally a diamond all by itself, and then I designed the ring that would be the setting for it.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:51 pm
I never had any preconceived ideas about how much my husband should spend on a ring...I think that's a highly personal decision! I know people with a lot of money who chose simple gold bands, and others with a very modest income who took out loans to buy the spectacular ring of their dreams. Don't let the jewelry industry fool you into thinking that "everyone" spends a certain amount.

I love having some family jewelry from both sides. But those rings were chosen to symbolize somebody else's commitment. It is not the same as picking out a new ring with my partner to symbolize our new life together. I wanted a ring with no history except ours.

I think if someone is going to wear a ring every day for the rest of their life, they should be able to choose what they want. I insisted that my husband choose his own ring, too. His style doesn't match mine, but that doesn't matter to us. We both got exactly what we wanted.
0 Replies

KelleyF11

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 06:55 pm
Before my hubby proposed, every once in a while when we walked by a jewelry store he would say something like "wow, look at the size of that diamond, could you picture yourself wearing something like that". That's how he knew what size I would like. I don't like big gaudy rings...small and simple is what I wanted. Other than that, he did everything else on his own, and I love the fact that he did. He went to a few jewelers and asked questions and some of them gave him a tutorial on how to pick out a good diamond. He ended up taking his mother with him and he said It was a great experience. His mother was thrilled to help but he really made all the final decisions. I wouldn't want to pick out my own ring because I love the tradition of the whole thing. It means so much to me that he picked out something with my personality in mind. It wouldn't be the same if I helped. Oh, and he spent 2 months salary on it. I wouldn't have let him spend that much but he really wanted to.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 09:31 pm
I don't like the idea of engagement rings personally... or weddings for that matter. I think that at a time when you're just getting ready to move out together and get a bit of a start in the world, sinking much of your money into these things is foolish. Plus I don't think romance needs physical signs and symbols.

But I know most people feel differently about the issue than I do.
0 Replies