Doing some background research need the family's help

Fedral

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 10:07 pm
I am doing some background research for a story I am writing and was wondering if anyone out there knows of a book or books about the colonization of North America told from the point of view of the Native Americans.

I'd appreciate any help the A2K family can throw my way on this topic.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,129 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 10:47 pm
Curse my rotten memory. I read one from the Nez Pierce in Chief Joseph's time, but I don't think the title and author will come to me.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 12:26 am
watching and listening in

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=colonization+of+North+America++native+american
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 07:34 pm
An interesting thing happened while I was looking for this information.

I was Googling the heck out of this subject and decided to look up Professors of Native American Studies and see if any of them had any reading lists or books they had written that might fit the bill.

I noticed one of the Heads of the Native American Studies department had an Email address. I figured that if I sent him an email, he might throw it to one of his underlings if he read it at all.

This is what I sent:

Quote:

4/5/2005 2:20 PM
Subject: Asking for your advice if you have a moment Doctor XXXX

Doctor XXXX,
I found your name via an internet search and understand your schedule must be very active and might not permit replying to an unknown person. I am writing a book and was attempting to find information about the colonization of North America told from the point of view of the Native American population. As I am sure you are aware, almost every book about the colonization is told from a Eurocentic point of view and I was hoping you might have some recomendations as to any books that might have the information I need.

I understand if your schedule will not permit you to take the time to reply with this data and I thank you for your time in reading it.

With respect,
Dan Sxxxxxxx [email protected]
Winter Springs, Florida

Keep in mind, this is the Department Head of a major University getting an email from a total stranger. Imagine my suprise when this was in my mailbox an hour later.

Quote:

4/5/2005 3:17 PM
RE: Asking for your advice if you have a moment Doctor XXXX

Dear Dan,
There are a number of books that might help. One is 'Facing East from Indian Country'. I think that would be a great starting place on eastern colonization from a tribal view point. If that helps you to get started, I will be glad to provide you with other sources. This way we will be on the same page.

Take good care, and good luck.
XXXX

I looked the book up on Amazon and it seems to be exactly what I was looking for. I had to order it through Amazon as not ONE bookstore in the entire Central Florida area carried it in stock.

I'm just blown away when people take the time to show courtsey to help out a complete stranger with their knowledge.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 07:42 pm
I'd like to see what you are writing. email?
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 07:54 pm
husker wrote:
I'd like to see what you are writing. email?

If I can get it published, I'll send you a copy. Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 07:55 pm
I looked that book up, Fedral. Looks interesting, and useful for you.
0 Replies

Creed Of Kings

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 10:26 am
What!? You mean there are books that don't give the Native American perspective?! What world are you living in? When I go to the books store or library I rarely see a book that is NOT borderline hatred for all things colonial.

How 'bout trying something really 'crazy'. Read this: The Cruel Hoax of Multiculturalism
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 12:13 pm
That is amazing, Fedral. I may look into that particular book myself.
0 Replies