was Hitler good for germany?

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:28 am
I hate it when stuff like that is on the test . . . i didn't keep the notepad document i wrote it with. Now i'll have to copy and paste it all for a study guide. Sheesh, Steve, quit springing these ugly surprises on us.

(Seriously, i thank you for your kind remarks.)
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:31 am
Note to TGP:

This is where they expect you to don the kneepad & neckbrace. :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:34 am
Well, Whooda, of course you could write that better, I suppose.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:46 am
Whooda is less concerned with exploring history than in indulging some personal vilification--let him have his fun. If he had anything to contribute, he might have done so already. Continual snide remarks, without a contribution to the subject matter, suggest he has nothing to contribute.

If that entertains him, we shouldn't try to spoil his fun for him.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:51 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, Whooda, of course you could write that better, I suppose.

I made no such claim.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:56 am
You've made no claims at all. All you've done is throw snide comments around.

Do you have anything to contribute, Whooda? Do you think Hitler was good for Germany? If so, do you have reasons you could give? It you don't think so, do you have reasons for that?
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 10:00 am
Setanta wrote:
Whooda is less concerned with exploring history than in indulging some personal vilification--let him have his fun.

Your command of history is impressive, Setanta.

My beef is with the way you treat those who disagree with any part of your rather voluminous posts.

Two words: anger management
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 10:37 am
Setanta wrote:
Whooda is less concerned with exploring history than in indulging some personal vilification--let him have his fun. If he had anything to contribute, he might have done so already. Continual snide remarks, without a contribution to the subject matter, suggest he has nothing to contribute.

If that entertains him, we shouldn't try to spoil his fun for him.

BTW, what color is your kettle?

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1408474&highlight=#1408474

<<For added enjoyment, synchronize the times of the comments on that thread and those made on this thread. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 10:51 am
WhoodaThunk wrote:

Hunting was really fashionable between the Nazi leaders.
I'm quite sure, they really hunted foxes with dogs (=led them be killed by them), although this was officially illegal.

But re humans, they did it, legally

http://www.msstate.edu/Images/Film/SchindlersList.jpg
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 11:32 am
Duke of Lancaster wrote:
I think he was a good leader. :wink:
He was such a powerful speaker, wouldn't you concur?
I figured that, "are you going to be the leader of the NWO!"
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 12:49 pm
Mrs Steve, Head of History, is impressed with your essay Set.

Her only comment apart from nods and grunts of agreement was that what you termed 'traditional English pacificism' we tend to call 'Splendid Isolation'.

and that it was a strange person who thought Hitler was good for Germany.
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 01:07 pm
Hitler's speaking ability is what persuaded people to follow him originally. Just the same way that current politcal leaders use speach to cover up their ineffectiveness. People often get blinded by speakers. It's the way of the world. Hitler, in mein kampf, wrote that all propoganda should be channeled to the masses. Those people who made up the vast majority of the population. The not extemely smart. He knew that if he targeted his messages to the extremely smart, the masses would loose interest. ALL politicians are the same way. Laways give credit where credit is due. Even if you don't like who you are talking about. Oh and whodathunk, just because it says im a newbie doesn't mean you outsmart me! Put something of substance (your own valid idea) in your next correspondence.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 01:11 pm
Setanta wrote:
lovesong wrote:
take this into consideration:
germany before WWII was in a depression at the same time as the US (actually germany's was several times worse). hitler and roosevelt (both newly elected leaders within a matter of months from eachother) had to deal with these somehow. however, germany pulled out of their depression years before the US did. (this is of course because of hitler's warmongering). still, you have to admit, evil or not, that the man knew how to run a country.

You should look at my post above. The soup lines, the public works projects, the social welfare agencies--every bit of it was someone else's idea, not Hitler's. In particular, Ernst Rohm and his Brown Shirts instituted these programs while Hitler was sitting in prison writing his fantasy book about Germany's destiny. The economic programs which got Germany back on its feet (and it was never in an economic depression--let alone one worse than the United States) were instituted by the Weimar Republic, and Hitler took credit when the good results began to be felt in the 1930's.

After the Franco-Prussian war of 1870-71, the German Empire imposed reparation payments on France to the tune of 700,000,000 million gold francs. Bismark and his nasty buddies thought this would cripple France for a generation or more, and reduce them to insignificant poverty. However, the French, with a new Republic in place, bit the bullet and paid up in under three years. The only reason Germany was in a position to do this was on the basis of "we won, you lost, you have to pay up." That war was simple, naked aggression to establish the Germans as the premier military power on the continent.

By contrast, the Paris Peace conference of 1919 imposed reparations on Germany to repay the costs of a war which, if they did not start it, they did nothing to stop, and which they used as an opportunity to attempt to finish what they started with France in 1870. Germany's reparations were calculalted based on the damage they had done--which was considerable, they destroyed a great many places and things in France and Belgium for purely spiteful reasons, they went so far as to flood mine shafts as they were retreating, and blew up factories and warehouses, and even blew up medieval buildings which had been preserved for centuries. The peace conference very appropriately ordered them to pay for the damage they had done. The seizure of German industrial assets in the Rhineland by France did not come close to making up what France had lost--the portion of her territory occupied by Germany during that war had contained 20 per cent of her farm land, 75% of her industry and 90% of her coal mines. A great deal of what Germany did pay (and they paid f*ck-all, less than ten per cent of the reparations were paid) was paid in kind--i.e., they handed out their merchant ships (their own sailors scuttled the Imperial fleet so the Brits could not have it), their railway equipment and supplies, they replaced most of the books in the library at Louvain, which had been wantonly destroyed in 1914 simply for spite--many priceless and irreplaceable books, manuscripts and other documents were lost forever. The Paris Peace conference calculated the amount to be paid by Germany at sixty billion marks--but the actual figure was pared down from a damage estimate of one hundred thirty-two billion gold marks, or about thrity-three billion U.S. dollars. After in-kind payments, the Gemans paid about four billion marks of that amount.

Two great and pernicious historical myths developed after the Great War in Germany. The first was started by Ludendorf before the ink was dry on the November 11th, 1918 armistice, and it claimed that the German Army had never been beaten in the field. That was a flat out lie. The Germans asked for an armistice, because their army was disintegrating under hammer blows from the French, Belgians, English and Americans, and they wanted to prevent an invasion of Germany--they didn't want Germany torn up the way they had torn up Belgium and northern France. The allied governments, under pressure from their voters, sent their soldiers home in the millions--so when trouble flared in the Baltic region, the French very unwisely recruited a German force, the Freikorps, to police the area. It's commanders set themselves up like robber barons from the middle ages, and Germans looked around and said: "See, our army was never defeated." Hitler exploited this lie to the fullest.

The other was the myth of the "Versailles Diktat." The Germans claimed that they were innocently drawn into the war (right, tell me another one), and that they were taking the full blame and paying the full cost. This was based on a clause in the Versailles Treaty in which the Germans were required to admit culpability--and this clause was a legal provision used to justify the payment of reparations, and not, as the German rabble-rousers claimed, a demand that Germany admit to having started the war. An identical clause was put into the Neuilly Treaty which Stamboliski signed for Bulgaria, the Treaty of St. Germain signed by the Austrians and the Trianon Treaty signed by the Hungarians. Of the Central Powers, only Turkey was not brought to the table, because the French idiotically brought a Greek army into Turkey, intending to conquer the country. This set Mustafa Kemal up to defeat the Greeks, drive out the French and the Italians, and declare his own republic. Austria was stripped of so much of its territory and so many of its resources that they were eventually excused reparations payments, after successfully getting a provision that the art treasures in their museums would not be sold to make up the loss. Hungary paid its reparations until the depression, which was very real in eastern Europe, in which the war did not end in 1918 (the Serbs, the Roumanians, the Czechs and the Slovaks all continued to invade parts of the old Austro-Hungarian empire well into the 1920's, and a reborn Poland under Marshall Pilsudski was fighting the Red Army at the gates of Warsaw with French support in 1920). Hungary's reparations were finally rescheduled, with payments to begin in 1944--obviously, those payments were never made. Bulgaria paid its reparations.

Only the Germans, whose whopping reparations bill was a direct result of their willful destruction, whined about the payments, and then did not pay up. Part of the Versailles Diktat myth is that reparations payments caused an economic depression in Germany. Since they didn't pay the reparations, apart from some in-kind transfers and some cash grudgingly handed over late, that's pretty hard to swallow. There was a full-blown economic depression in North America, for very complex reasons beginning with the agricultural boom in Canada and America immediately after the war when Europe could not feed itself, and brought to disasterous climax by unregulated investment sharks on Wall Street. Recession would be a better word for the economic situation in Europe, and Germany was coming out of that long before the little corporal became Chancellor. Austria skated because they had lost almost everything but the core homeland, and you can't get blood from a turnip--as one of the members of the Peace Conference pointed out, its rather much to expect a man to pay debts when he is so poor you are obliged to feed him. Hungary tried to pay up, but failed. Bulgaria paid up. Turkey skated because of idiotic fantasies acted upon by the Italians and the French.

Most of this whole nonsense was the result of a book by John Maynard Keynes published immediately after the Peace Conference, entitled The Economic Consequences of the Peace, first published in December, 1919, and never out of print since that time. Keynes was a young and brilliant mathmetician who had a minor role in the English delegation. He discussed reparations with Herbert Hoover, and then announced to Lloyd George that he (Keynes) knew exactly how much Germany should pay and how it should be scheduled. When George rightfully ignored the young, vain fool, and thanks to Keynes' ego-centric and adolescent personality, he went to off to sulk and then wrote his book. Had the Germans actually paid the reparations imposed on them, his thesis might have been correct--but they didn't and it wasn't. He also publicly sneered at the reparations clause, ignoring that it was a part of all the treaties at the conference. As Clemenceau justifiably pointed out, Germany had accepted its defeat, its aggression and its responsibility when it sued for an armistice in November, 1918, and: "It is too late to deny them today."

Crying about the hard luck and harsh terms suffered by the Germans ignores both the great destruction they wrought, and the apocalyptic nature of the situation in Europe in 1919--everybody had it rough, and millions of Europeans had it a lot worse than the Germans. Without offering any personal insult or criticism to Lovesong, who i suspect repeats simply what he/she has heard or read, i am heartily sick and tired of the German apologists and the constant refrain that the Versailles Treaty created Hitler and the Nazis--that's a line of crap.

For self-delusional, self-pitying fantasies, you can't beat the "we were never defeated" and the "Versailles Diktat" myths. If you would like to learn more of this passage in history, i recommend to you Paris, 1919: Six Months that Changed the World, Margaret MacMillan, Pacemakers, London, 2001. Miss MacMillan is a graduate of Oxford, a provost of Trinity College, and professor of history at the University of Toronto. My grateful thanks to my Sweetiepie for giving me this book at Christmas--it has tied up so many of the loose ends for me.

I've always wondered if his ideas were stolen, in what was posted, shows that this was so.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 01:28 pm
sorry, double post
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 01:32 pm
Sorry, double post, darn connection problem!
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 01:35 pm
Setanta wrote:
Also, Paasky, i was intrigued by your reference to Dutch responses to being overrun by the Germans...

I would tend to agree on that point. There is a clear anti-militaristic streak in Dutch history, but the Dutch army was never more popular than after it had suffered it most utter defeat.

And the pattern seems to repeat itself elsewhere. Finland had to suffer three wars of revenge (1741 -43; 1788 - 90; 1808 - 09) that Sweden waged against Russia after having lost the Great Northern War (1700 -1721) They lost all of them (well, the second one was more or less a tie) and every time it was the Finnish countryside that was laid waste. Even then the defeat (and loss of Finland) was not blamed on the army not being up to its task, but on the leadership in Stockholm (and the king was deposed).

Sweden has used the totally unfounded confidence of the people in its armed forces as a main weapon in the neutrality defence of the country (called the psychological defence, which was symbolised by a civil defence leaflet with as title "Every message that resistance has ceased is false").
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 06:09 pm
WhoodaThunk wrote:
Your command of history is impressive, Setanta.

Thank your for your kind remark.

Quote:
My beef is with the way you treat those who disagree with any part of your rather voluminous posts.

Two words: anger management

Disagreement does not anger me. Being told to "shut up your cocky tone" by someone as demonstrably ill-informed, and in some respects, completely uninformed, tends to engender a response in me commensurate with the offense offered. That i dispute what another says is not evidence of anger. That i answer insult with the like kind is not evidence of anger.

All that such exchanges demonstrate, is that those whom i have contradicted react, sometimes, with anger and insults. They get out of such an exchange what they have put into it.

EDIT: How interesting that you are at such pains to defend, as though a wrongfully assailed innocent, someone who contends that criticizism of Hitler and of Germany constitutes "blasphemy."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 06:29 pm
My compliments and sincere expression of gratitude to the doubtlessly beautiful Mrs. Steve (and perhaps long-suffering as well).

Sadly, there are quite a great many strange persons who continue to contend that Hitler was good for Germany.

Ralph, your points about Hitler's mesmeric speaking abilities, and his oft ill-concealed contempt for the electorate, are well taken. I would place them under a rubric i have many times referred to--his natural ability as a gutter politician. Appealing to the lowest common denominator and assuming the worst about other politicians came to him naturally.

CG, although i cannot absolutely prove that Hitler was largely devoid of original ideas, the evidence--which i consider extensive and compelling--is that he was a master at coopting the ideas of others to his own benefit.

Paasky, i see that point. Winning hearts and minds is what it is all about, and a people defeated are likely to be a people humiliated, those who will reach for any explanation which exonerates them of the shame.

Again, my sincere thanks to everyone who has spoken kindly of my effort. I consider the seemingly endless fascination for, and worse, grudging or even outright respect for, Hitler to be evidence of a strange pathology in the social body. Had i my preference, i'd never take up the cudgel again; i believe, however, that it is extremely important to defeat the pernicious and persistent contention that even the worst of people have good in them. Whether or not such a claim is justified, the actions and consequences of the actions of monsters such as Hitler and Stalin should never be forgotten, temporized about, nor worse still, distorted into a lie about their good intentions or good effects. Monsters should ever be clearly labelled as such, and condemned. Even Grendel had a mother who might have loved him--small reason to excuse tearing men limb from limb and drinking their blood.
0 Replies

The Golden Phallanx

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:03 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Brilliant post Set

Quite outstanding in fact.

Homework for TGP. Read learn and inwardly digest Setanta's essay The Historical Myths surrounding Germany 1914-45.

Test questions next week.

Yeah I know, he's marvelous, one could almost say he stamped the VErsaille enslavement agreement himself. Next he'll tell us how colonialism was in fact the healthiest system for territories under imperialistic occupation such as the Congo and how enforced exploitation is a myth and yet was justified redefining once again his redundent oxymorons. hAHAHAHAH!!!
...alright forgive me great Setanta who's bull is legendary, but I have but one serious comment to your self-worship and analyzes based on childhood memories. Have you but once considered that there may be a difference between those who would literally stand for Hitler were he alive and those who defend the point that there is no right in war, world war 2 being no exception? Because if not, which I assume is the case, may I suggest you get up from your comp chair, take a walk and observe your physical surroundings because you will learn more from them than continuing to drool over your own arrogant conceptions and conservative simple minded completly bias and simply incorrect conclusions.
EDIT: ...he'll say I believe hitler was good for germany and hsi typical bull, and no I'm not saying that. All I'm saying is those who arranged the treaty of versaille were imperialistic criminals just as most governement officials of the time were and attempted to manipulate the situation to their ambitious yet unrightful causes and were in fact as horrible as Hiltler himself for having created the very settings for his arise. The myth that this is not true is in it's entirety a joke to be posted on a wall. The true myth is that the treaty was in any way just. I was astonished from the start that anyone was contesting this in the first place. I think I should personally call it the Setanta myth. Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:23 pm
Your latest post again suggests that English is not your first language. It is so badly written, that an attempt to respond, beyond noting its hatefulness and attempt to elicit an equivalent response, is pointless.

When you have something to say, or to ask, and can do so without childish invective and scurrilous insult, i might feel inclined to attempt an intelligent response. For now, suffice it to note that your English is so bad, you don't even carry off your insults very well--they simply look silly.
0 Replies