Lash

Wed 27 Apr, 2022 10:38 am
Who gets to decide what the truth is?

This is the slip n slide to authoritarianism.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Wed 27 Apr, 2022 11:01 am
@izzythepush,
I agree. And it's not just the far right doing this. There are forces lying to beat down progressives from the other direction, for instance.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Wed 27 Apr, 2022 11:02 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
The question is should hate speech, including the deliberate spreading of lies and disinformation, be protected as free speech.

And who gets to decide just what misinformation is?

I watched the (formerly) most trusted news service in the US (along with the rest) turn into a lying propaganda machine that shut down true information and label it as lies and blame it on anyone but themselves.

****'em. I don’t trust Musk, but he’s a step up from the woke crowd that was in charge.

Opps, I see lash got there first
The rest of you go back to your bubbles.
edgarblythe

Wed 27 Apr, 2022 11:14 am
Shaun King Retweeted
Shaun King
@shaunking
·
Apr 26
Ask ANY conservative this question and watch them STRUGGLE to answer it.

Since you say free speech and ALL speech needs to be allowed on Twitter, does that mean you believe that should included targeted hate speech against Jews?

Should that be allowed?

Be specific and clear.

·

So, in other words, hate speech, racism, white supremacy, vulgarity, profanity, and all kinds of vitriol will be allowed, unchecked,
By “free speech”, I simply mean that which matches the law.

I am against censorship that goes far beyond the law.

If people want less free speech, they will ask government to pass laws to that effect.

Therefore, going beyond the law is contrary to the will of the people.

·
6h
I better get prepared to be harassed, threatened, and called a n*gger on a regular, or a ‘kaffir’ by your Afrikaner buddies.
Quote Tweet
Elon Musk
@elonmusk
· 21h
By “free speech”, I simply mean that which matches the law.

I am against censorship that goes far beyond the law.

If people want less free speech, they will ask government to pass laws to that effect.

Therefore, going beyond the law is contrary to the will of the people.
Show this thread
Tip
Shaun King Retweeted
Shaun King
@shaunking
·
6h
I am told this morning that Apple and Google will remove Twitter from the App Store if it does not moderate and remove hate speech under
@ElonMusk

This isn’t a new policy, but a commitment already made.

Amazon Web Services has the same commitment.

So there’s that
employees under
@ElonMusk
stepped forward to say that the overt racism they experienced was unbearable.

Elon’s advice to them?

“Be thick-skinned.”

This gives you a real idea of how he thinks racism and bigotry should be addressed here on Twitter.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 27 Apr, 2022 11:18 am
@Leadfoot,
Bubble?

Wtf are you talking about?

This is a predominantly American forum, and I'm the only Englishman here.

How's that being in a bloody bubble?
Leadfoot

Wed 27 Apr, 2022 11:19 am
Quote:
Elon’s advice to them?

“Be thick-skinned.”

And turn the other cheek.

Yeah, all good advice.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 27 Apr, 2022 11:24 am
@Leadfoot,
I don't think that mis/disinformation can be spotted in advance, only after the event. It would be a case for the courts after the facts had been established and the damage caused.

Look at the election Trump has knowingly and consistently spread lies about the result. That is a clear example of lies and disinformation which has been an assault on democracy.

All in the name of free speech.

As for hate speech, it's not had the protection of free speech over here for quite a few years and despite the usual screams of thin end of the wedge nonsense they've not found any misuse at all.
Leadfoot

Wed 27 Apr, 2022 11:24 am
@izzythepush,
You must have tuned in late to the sub thread.

The 'ignore' bubble.

You should not have to listen/read, etc, to anything you don’t want to. I’m in favor of the ignore button. It’s right there at your fingertips. Press for instant relief if needed. Just don’t touch mine.
Leadfoot

Wed 27 Apr, 2022 11:31 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I don't think that mis/disinformation can be spotted in advance, only after the event. It would be a case for the courts after the facts had been established and the damage caused.

Do you think a case could be made that mis and suppressed information could have easily swayed more than enough votes to change the outcome of an election?

Who should Trump hire to represent him : )

izzythepush

Wed 27 Apr, 2022 11:41 am
@Leadfoot,
It's not about stuff that offends me, I have a thick skin.

It's about language that causes real material harm.

There has been a steep rise in antisemitic violence throughout the West especially in Britain, America and Australia, and a lot of that has been put down to antisemitic hate speech curing lockdown.

How is, "If you don't like antisemitic hate speech just ignore it" going to stop it?

I mean it's ******* ridiculous, you are deliberately skirting the issue.

Like I said before it's clear what your prejudices are, and that's all down to white privilege. You're not a victim, neither am I, we're not on the receiving end of hate speech. We don't have to deal with the consequences.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 27 Apr, 2022 11:45 am
@Leadfoot,
I think case can be made that it caused an insurrection in the Capitol building on 6th Jan.

I think a case is being made in your courts right now.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 27 Apr, 2022 12:04 pm
I think people should be held accountable for their actions, not their thoughts or words—unless they call for harm.

Punish them for what they did.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Wed 27 Apr, 2022 01:56 pm
I haven’t heard any nominees for that chief arbiter of truth yet, so till then I’m going to default to 'say anything you believe to be true and be ready to pay the consequences if it wasn’t.

But when I really think about it, I get the impression that the pro censorship crowd believe most people can’t think for themselves. And I understand why they might. Still, If the idea of maximizing freedom of expression is a failing idea, I’ll go down with that ship.

Lash

Wed 27 Apr, 2022 07:03 pm
@Leadfoot,
Me too.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 28 Apr, 2022 02:15 am
@Leadfoot,
You been reading Goebbels?

You refuse to look at countries where there are laws against hate crime, instead making a bogus and deliberately misleadimg statement about some strange arbiter of truth.

You then smear people who believe in human right by using Goebbel's terminolgy, calling us the pro censorship crowd.

Here's a bit of truth, you are of the pro hate speech. You don't care about violence directed towards Jewish, Black, Hispanic or LGBT people, all you care about is being abvle to say whatever you want about such subhumans.

If such scum don't want to be raped, tortured and murdered, they shouldm't live in America.

You support the NRA shooting up schools, because you saying whatever the **** you want is way more important than a child's right to life.

We all know how you free speech absolutsts just love drooling over pictures of Sandy Hook.

You are on the same side of the debate as terrorists, dictators, Nazis, murderers, rapists and bigots of all persuasion.

Don't pretend, any of this is about freedom, it's about keeping undesirables in their place, forcing them to live every day in fear.

That is what you are advocating.
0 Replies

htam9876

Thu 28 Apr, 2022 03:33 am
Piggy cottons on that’s American cow boy vs English gentleman. Anything wrong in the expression?
 https://physicshelpforum.com/data/attachments/3/3010-7bf709704e6610813b1950a7f9650c67.jpg
izzythepush

Thu 28 Apr, 2022 03:52 am
@htam9876,
Reckon so.

Nothing wrong with it.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 28 Apr, 2022 05:06 am
@htam9876,
Piggy cottons well.

English gentleman assumes cowboy carries rifle because he likes murder.
izzythepush

Thu 28 Apr, 2022 05:41 am
@Leadfoot,
Why do you need a gun?

At the end of the day your pathetic need to gave a gun is more important than the lives of children.

You support ridiculous gun ownership laws that directly result in the killing of children.

I didn't say you liked murder, but you clearly place no value on a child's life.
Lash

Thu 28 Apr, 2022 05:49 am
All that rude noise is an attempt to bully people into submission.
Gun ownership is an important right—becoming more important now than ever.

The US government could do a hell of a lot better job stopping mass shootings. They choose not to because they want to disarm the people.