Praying for the Pope...um, just why, exactly?

blatham

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 12:08 pm
According to press accounts today, President Bush and his wife along with millions of Catholics worldwide are praying for the Pope. But I am little confused on what they hope to achieve by prayer in this instance.

Mind, my question has nothing whatsoever to do with this particular Pope (who I respect for his activism at the onset of the USSR collapse and for his remarkable dedication and perserverance) the question applies equally well to any.

Is the hope that their prayers will grant the Pope a merciful end? Or that he will be welcomed into Heaven?

The first of these suggests that God grants merciful death based on popularity poll...well, there are 8 million two hundred and twelve prayers right now and that is a record so he gets mercy. That does not seem to make much sense. Likewise the second, entry to Heaven, would seem to be based on the same polling figures.

It would be one thing to, say, tip the hat and say thankyou for the service the man put in. Or to personally wish his end merciful. But entreaties to God on these matters sound, frankly, a little daft.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,883 • Replies: 124
No top replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 12:16 pm
I think you misunderstand the meaning of prayer. The Pope is at the end of his life, undergoing a process none of us will escape. He has consistently upheld certain values in his life and done so under often difficult conditions requiring both moral courage and a steadfastness of will. He has, through this, shaped events on earth in ways that many people regard as beneficial.

The prayer to which you refer is more a spiritual communion with God by believers who recognize both the universality of death in the human
world and the the aspiration for life in the spiritual one.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 12:40 pm
Dear Lord

Please don't let the Pope die. I'm afraid he'll go to heaven. that would suck, especially for a religious icon.

Seriously pray for grace and blessing and an easy passage for him and for grace for those who will feel his loss if that's your prayer. Nothing wrong with that.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 12:52 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
I think you misunderstand the meaning of prayer. The Pope is at the end of his life, undergoing a process none of us will escape. He has consistently upheld certain values in his life and done so under often difficult conditions requiring both moral courage and a steadfastness of will. He has, through this, shaped events on earth in ways that many people regard as beneficial.

The prayer to which you refer is more a spiritual communion with God by believers who recognize both the universality of death in the human

Very well put George
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 01:04 pm
Agree with George here as well.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 01:13 pm
Eh, the Pope has already had more than his share of Whoever's blessings.

Don't misread me; I hope he has a grand journey to Wherever. I found John Paul II to be an influential and truly great man.

But if anyone feels the need to pray for something, pray for peace on earth.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 01:32 pm
The prayer is more of a comfort than anything. If the pope goes anywhere, it is obviously heaven so we don't need to worry about that. And as for a merciful end, I suppose you could pray for the pope to die but that would not be very nice.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 01:37 pm
PDiddie wrote:

But if anyone feels the need to pray for something, pray for peace on earth.

Of course, this may be even what he would like.

However, praying for ill (and dying) has been a tradition since 2,000 years in the Catholic Church.

You won't change that so easily.
0 Replies

inyen

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 04:03 pm
Prayers can help
Prayer is a ritual which might have some similar beneficial effect as meditation. Some sort of mental exercise. It can work as a placebo for the person who prays and for the person who knows that others pray for him or her. As with other placebos, there is no real effective component. Praying to god A can be just as useful as praying to god B. It's just a matter of how hard you believe. And of course there is no reason to think that anything supernatural is going on.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 10:04 pm
Re: Prayers can help
inyen wrote:
Prayer is a ritual which might have some similar beneficial effect as meditation. Some sort of mental exercise. It can work as a placebo for the person who prays and for the person who knows that others pray for him or her. As with other placebos, there is no real effective component. Praying to god A can be just as useful as praying to god B. It's just a matter of how hard you believe. And of course there is no reason to think that anything supernatural is going on.

How do you know this to be true?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 05:19 am
georgeob1 wrote:

Well george, I suspect prayer *means* something unique for each person. Unless of course someone had made rules about it. The term *for* in the phrase pray for suggests something like at the behest of. Which does seem rather odd in this instance. Or as regards any death at all. If god is all-knowing, then entreaties rising up from Lubbock and Seville would seem to have god listening to a phone message he left for himself. No big suprises anywhere. And if he is fair, then the good guys will get a break regardless of public opinion.

But if the term *for* is some unnecessary historical artifact with no actual function and which effectively confuses what is going on in prayer, then ok.

Do you suppose fear of death is the central psychological component here? Your answer would suggest that.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 07:30 am
blatham wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

Well george, I suspect prayer *means* something unique for each person. Unless of course someone had made rules about it. The term *for* in the phrase pray for suggests something like at the behest of. Which does seem rather odd in this instance. Or as regards any death at all. If god is all-knowing, then entreaties rising up from Lubbock and Seville would seem to have god listening to a phone message he left for himself. No big suprises anywhere. And if he is fair, then the good guys will get a break regardless of public opinion.

But if the term *for* is some unnecessary historical artifact with no actual function and which effectively confuses what is going on in prayer, then ok.

Do you suppose fear of death is the central psychological component here? Your answer would suggest that.

I am not Catholic, but I too have prayed for the Pope, as I do for many others in this world. Prayer is an expression of love towards God and towards our neighbour. When we pray for others, whether they be the fellow down the street or the head of the Catholic Church, we become partners with God in His work of salvation, healing, comfort and justice.

God can, and does, accomplish these things without us, but He gives us the privilege of being involved with him through prayer. When people are praying for the Pope, they realize that he is near the end of his life here on earth. They pray that he can remain longer as their spiritual leader. After all, he has been their leader since 1978. It is human nature to not want to let go. They may also pray that faith remains strong in the Pope even through adversity.

And yes, somebody has made rules about it. We are guided through prayer in many places in the Bible. You could look to Matthew for a start...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 07:49 am
blatham wrote:

I think you're quite wrong about this, blatham. Both about your understanding of what georgeob wrote, and your understanding of many people's feelings about death.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 09:44 am
Blatham,

You should consider the possibility that you are in the grip of prejudice and intolerance every bit as blind and narrow as that of which you so frequently accuse others.

You often put forward an image of right wing, ignorant, religious zealotry into which you willingly condemn many who disagree with you - usually making polite, but singular exception for some persons immediately involved in the dialogue. As a by product you implicitly condemn the opinions of people with a component of the religious or the spiritual in their motivation as irrelevant or not worthy of consideration - no matter what the subject - merely because of that motivation. None of us can see into and judge the souls of others, and the presumption that we can is an-all-to-common component of the dark intolerance, of all kinds, that has beset humanity throughout history.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 11:32 am
I think that there are many people to whom the Pope means a great deal. If praying for him allows people to feel a communion with like minded people, so be it.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 11:37 am
Absolutely. If you find that it's out of your realm of understanding, then don't try. Just let it be.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 11:43 am
Begrudging the Pope prayers of love, appreciation and Solidarity.... startling.

Many people are likely speaking to God about their thanksgiving for what this Pope has meant to them; asking for a peaceful, painless leave-taking from this world for him, and other such loving messages. There are some who believe the Pope is in prayer to God, and feel if they are also in prayer in the Pope's name, they are with him in some way. This is comforting to some people.

I'm sure there are some, who believe a person's soul should be prayed into Heaven. The resident Catholics could explain this a bunch better than I. I don't believe you can be prayed into or out of anything, but I don't mind that they do. It's a testament to their love for him, and I don't find that worthy of criticism.

The Pope has spent countless hours in prayer for so many of us. Returning that selfless, loving act seems a reasonable thing to do.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 12:28 pm
I completely agree with George. Intolerance can be a dangerous thing, and if we don't want to see it in others we shouldn't by intolerant towards others.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 01:07 pm
Quote:
Jackson Froliklong, 17, of Cleveland Heights, is in Rome on spring break with a group of juniors and seniors from two Catholic high schools in Cleveland, St. Ignatius and St. Joseph's Academy. He relates his experiences and thoughts from the Vatican as thousands throng St. Peter's Square to pray for the pope.

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/cuyahoga/111246570064970.xml

Quote:
After all, we had all come to this place for the same reason: To be there for Pope John Paul II in his final hours.

"We know his death is imminent," said my St. Ignatius classmate Drew Paskert. "But we're here to rejoice in his life. We're here to show him respect and to dignify his death."

I quite like the way Master Paskert phrased it.

Rejoice, respect and dignify.
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 01:16 pm
Even by the most anti-religious measures, praying is about as innocuous an activity there is for one to do.

I may disagree with about 80% of Popes views, but still an elder, widely revered person is about to leave our midst, it is not too much to give space for his followers to pay respects through prayer.

It is also a sign of respect to allow people their rituals and holding judgement on their actions until a more appropriate time
0 Replies