Praying for the Pope...um, just why, exactly?

Ethel2

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:20 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Lola wrote:

The consistency of which you speak is born of acquiescence to authority. And I think that's a danger. We must learn to think for ourselves.

Lola dear, are you seriously suggesting that the practicioners of political correctitude and doctrinaire liberalism really think for themselves????

My observation on these threads is that this tribe rather slavishly quotes their liberal 'scholars' and the secular theologians who direct "right thinking" for them in far greater specificity and with much greater doctrinal force than anything I have ever encountered in 'that constituency'.

Rarely do I encounter a counter argument from any members of your tribe based on facts and their own argument. Instead one gets only these predigested conclusions and quotes from members of their secular liberal clergy -- all, of course, accompanied by expressions of horror, indignation and disapproval of the heretical propositions with which free thinking conservatives and libertarians torture them.

Well, I think for myself, smarty. Speak for yourself, mr automaton.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:30 pm
Wanna kiss my cheek?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 02:58 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Lola wrote:

The consistency of which you speak is born of acquiescence to authority. And I think that's a danger. We must learn to think for ourselves.

Lola dear, are you seriously suggesting that the practicioners of political correctitude and doctrinaire liberalism really think for themselves????

My observation on these threads is that this tribe rather slavishly quotes their liberal 'scholars' and the secular theologians who direct "right thinking" for them in far greater specificity and with much greater doctrinal force than anything I have ever encountered in 'that constituency'.

Rarely do I encounter a counter argument from any members of your tribe based on facts and their own argument. Instead one gets only these predigested conclusions and quotes from members of their secular liberal clergy -- all, of course, accompanied by expressions of horror, indignation and disapproval of the heretical propositions with which free thinking conservatives and libertarians torture them.

Knee jerk conservatives finding fault with knee jerk liberals.

I don't get no better 'en this.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 03:56 am
Quote:
Cardinal Law resigned as as archbishop of Boston Archdiocese - you can't resign as cardinal.

Yes you can. You can do what any truly moral mortal would do if he had defiled, besmirched and disgraced both himself and the institution to which he belonged -- leave. Take off the collar, pronounce his contrition and remove himself from the premises, but not the country. He should spend the rest of his days working in the hospices of Boston at the lowest level of the low living off his monthly Social Security checks while continuing to co-operate with the authorities investigating the sexual abuses that went on during his years as spiritual leader.

Joe(what is the name of the sin that is greater than mortal?)Nation
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 06:57 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Yes you can.

Well, hmm, when you say so :wink:

(I'm no Dr.iur.utr. Laughing )
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 07:05 am
georgeob1 wrote:
The Church in Both Europe and North America faces the issue of widespread secularism and disaffection among the professional and managerial classes of these countries. This is the central challenge it faces in these regions, In North America, the Unted Srates in particular, the Church has had the additional problem of a generation of fairly widespread homoxexuality among priests, this, in my view a result of relaxed standards in the seminaries that trained and selected them. I believe the root cause is being addressed, but the consequences have been rather devastating both to the confidence of Catholics and the financial health of the church.
Rates of homosexuality amongst North American priests are higher than amongst Europen clergy? Sexual abuse of children is a consequence of homosexual hanging about? Your prejudice might be slipping out from under cover here, george.

I don't know about any wrongful 'protection of assets' issues, though there may be some. It is a moral issue, rather than legal, yes? Filing for bankrupcies, shifting assets so that the abused kids can't get access to them. Any person or legal entity has the rright to protect what assets it can from lawsuits. Certainly the financial impact of the judgements and settlements on the Church has been enormous. It will be a long time before the Church is able to restore the schools and social serrvices that have been closed partly as a result. Well, tough luck.

Cardinal Law is no longer running the show in his Diocese, moreover his tenure has been rather thoroughly discredited both in Boston and among the other clergy. He is, as Walter noted, still a Cardinal. Some may believe he has not been sufficiently punished for his many lapses. Hard to know for sure. Establishing appropriate punishment is never very easy, but there's good reason to argue he ought to be in jail. For the church, this matter has the consequence of giving further appearance that the church cares rather more about protecting its own than about justice. And there is enough truth in that perception to make it bite.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 07:10 am
Quote:

george...your little arrows would perhaps have some effect if you had the foggiest notion who Timothy Garton Ash, for example, is.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 07:27 am
Most of the wrongful actions for which wayward priests have been justly imprisioned and the Church sued, involved post pubescent boys - teenagers. Homosexual seduction is a more accurate term for these acts than the euphamistic "sexual abuse of childres", and it more accurately describes the behavioral compulsions of the perpetrators. The media have gone to great lengths to avoid facing, or correctly describing, this fact. No prejudices at all on my part - just a fidelity to the facts of the matter.

The Church doesn't imprision anyone. Cardinal Law was subject to the laws of his state and those of the federal government. If either of them found cause to prosecute him nothing would have stopped them.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 07:46 am
One thing - which should be observed in my opinion - is that we are speaking (remember the title of this thred? 'Praying for the Pope ...') and that the Pope isn't only the Pope for the US-Catholics but for all in the world.

Which doesn't minimize Cardinal Law's guilt at all.

Sexual abused children are sexual abused childre, no matter if this is done by heterosexual teachers (as we had a couple of cases here in Europe within the last few weeks) or homosexual priests.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 08:44 am
Thank you Walter.

It is a little dismaying if the choice we get to make is to be horrified by either pedophile priests or merely, it would seem, predatory homosexual priests. Don't they both spend eternity on the same level of Hell?

Joe(stop trying to mitigate the guilt)Nation
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 10:28 pm
The topic: Praying for the Pope

In a slightly different elevation, please consider Boo-ing.

Booing something or someone is an act that expresses an
attitude, goal, position and clear spiritual direction.
It is a conscious act of belief, communicating a shared faith,
and is therefore a form of meditation and spiritual contemplation.

Though not often considered "positive" or "encouraging" in the
traditional sense (depending on one's tradition), it undeniably shares
many qualities and effects of "prayer". Some would say they are
two faces of the same genuflect. Boo-ing is an expression of
desire, a personal statement of ones judgement, belief, and
attitude -- a vocal community chorus of one's inner spirit.

At some level, it is an exploration and strengthening of our soul.
Booing is clearly a powerful spiritual act, a long-standing tradition
steeped in history, rich in practice, with all the components, actions
and consequences of "prayer". It encourages and supports a spiritual
agenda, imposes beliefs, and shares with one's community our
common perspective.

Regardless of whether you or I support or disagree
with the method, or specific application, of Boo-ing, please consider
that such a community event brings people together within
the context of today's philosophy, awareness and "development".

Am I right? No, really ...
Shouldn't people pray within their own practice, every day?
And find strength and clarity in the clear expression of our belief?

Fans at Soccer Game in Scotland Jeer Pope
Quote:
Fans at a Scottish Cup soccer game jeered during a minute's silence for Pope John
Paul II on Sunday, forcing the tribute to be cut short.
The tribute also was disrupted during Saturday's semifinal, when
Dundee United beat Hibernian 2-1.

Thoughts?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 09:46 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Most of the wrongful actions for which wayward priests have been justly imprisioned and the Church sued, involved post pubescent boys - teenagers. Homosexual seduction is a more accurate term for these acts than the euphamistic "sexual abuse of childres", and it more accurately describes the behavioral compulsions of the perpetrators. The media have gone to great lengths to avoid facing, or correctly describing, this fact. No prejudices at all on my part - just a fidelity to the facts of the matter.

The Church doesn't imprision anyone. Cardinal Law was subject to the laws of his state and those of the federal government. If either of them found cause to prosecute him nothing would have stopped them.

Then how about substituting "sexual priests" for "homosexual priests"? Or do you consider that the problem isn't human sexuality, but rather the perverse mental/moral states of men who sexuality directs them to the same gender partners?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 09:48 am
codeborg wrote
Quote:
Thoughts?

Teeming.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 05:27 am
georgeob:-

Shoot this up the dear lady's shorty

Talcott Parsons' idea of glosses: A gloss is a total system of perception and language. For instance, this room is a gloss. We have lumped together a series of isolated perceptions--floor, ceiling, window, lights, rugs, etc.--to make a totality. But we had to be taught to put the world together in this way. A child reconnoiters the world with few preconceptions until he is taught to see things in a way that corresponds to the descriptions everybody agrees on. The world is an agreement. The system of glossing seems to be somewhat like walking. We have to learn to walk, but once we learn we are subject to the syntax of language and the mode of perception it contains... - C.C.

gb-I'm a limey-what's a "monica"?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 06:17 am
There are 113 (counted once) references in the index of the Catechism Of The Catholic Church to prayer.Perhaps infidels should study them before commenting on the subject in order to prevent themselves falling into the same tender trap as women rugby commentators often do.

It looks like this to me:-

1-There is no God and thus prayer is pointless.

2-The only God is the Pope's God and He has allowed the Pope to reach 84 and be Pope and thus be in the top drawer in heaven.Why somebody like that needs prayer before the starving millions is an emotional matter of the praying.Possibly a career strategy which would hardly qualify as prayer.

3-The Pope's God is a false God and the Pope is in hell and anybody praying for him is heading the same way.

Hence religious bigotry and wars.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 06:44 am
blatham wrote:

Then how about substituting "sexual priests" for "homosexual priests"? Or do you consider that the problem isn't human sexuality, but rather the perverse mental/moral states of men who sexuality directs them to the same gender partners?

In an abstract sense, I wouldn't object to that. However, with respect to the incidents that occurred during the decades since 1970, and which have been the subject of so much attention, it would be misleading. The fact is the overwhelming majority of cases involved homosexual predation of post puberty boys by homosexual priests. Cases involving nuns or priests and girls, occurred, but not in significant numbers.

It is generally better to avoid euphemisms or other like artifices of speech that hide the real meaning of facts, established beyond reasonable doubt. I recognize that the doctrines of political correctitude call for a different approach. However they are mostly farcical nonsense.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 07:55 am
georgeob1 wrote:
blatham wrote:

In an abstract sense, I wouldn't object to that. However, with respect to the incidents that occurred during the decades since 1970, and which have been the subject of so much attention, it would be misleading. The fact is the overwhelming majority of cases involved homosexual predation of post puberty boys by homosexual priests. Cases involving nuns or priests and girls, occurred, but not in significant numbers.

It is generally better to avoid euphemisms or other like artifices of speech that hide the real meaning of facts, established beyond reasonable doubt. I recognize that the doctrines of political correctitude call for a different approach. However they are mostly farcical nonsense.

Do you believe then that these facts demonstrate that homosexuals are more likely to be sexual predators than are heterosexuals?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 08:13 am
blatham wrote:

Do you believe then that these facts demonstrate that homosexuals are more likely to be sexual predators than are heterosexuals?

I believe that conclusion would be an excessive leap, based on this data. Indeed, I have no opinion on the matter - I just don't know.

The facts certainly do strongly suggest that the root of the problem in the Catholic clergy in America has been the actions of homosexual priests. The actions have been euphamistically labelled as paedophilia. While there is an undeniable element of that indicated, the facts alone point to predation of sexually mature boys by homosexual priests as the main phenomenon.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 09:12 am
georgeob1 wrote:
blatham wrote:

I believe that conclusion would be an excessive leap, based on this data. Indeed, I have no opinion on the matter - I just don't know.

The facts certainly do strongly suggest that the root of the problem in the Catholic clergy in America has been the actions of homosexual priests. The actions have been euphamistically labelled as paedophilia. While there is an undeniable element of that indicated, the facts alone point to predation of sexually mature boys by homosexual priests as the main phenomenon.

george
Thank you kindly. It had the potential to be a tough question and your answer equals my own.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 01:51 pm
Well, your question did make me think a bit.

This illustrates a good point about the all-to-often hasty conclusions that are made in popular discussions - and occasionally even in the published papers of the academic cognoscenti. Excess generalization is often a great source oif cvonfusion and misunderstanding. We are caught between a very human impulse to find definitive far-reaching models for understanding a complex world, and a world that, quite independently of us, presents more complexity than we can readily understand.
0 Replies