Praying for the Pope...um, just why, exactly?

Ethel2

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 10:19 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I posted some links earlier that came through medlineplus.org (the U.S. gov't site) - I'm not sure whether I'm surprised that there are measurable results or not. Mind/body connection and all - but now I'm going to have to consider a mind/body/spirit connection.

As far as I can tell, Beth, mind and body, which are the same, is the spiritual connection. The brain which is the mind.........or the mind is the experience of the brain activity, which is the soul. It works for me. It's the only understanding that makes sense to me.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 04:25 am
Is the Soul actually a mix of hormones?
Speaking of the mind/body/spirit connection . . .

The other day I was just sitting around with nothing
to do, really, and not doing anything, actually, when
it occurred to me that, well . . .

PRAYING is very much a dreamy, wishful, wanting state that taps into our subconscious needs and restricted desires. And,

MASTURBATING seems a very dreamy, wishful, wanting state, that taps into our subconscious needs and restricted desires.

. . . and so it occurred to me that maybe the two things actually . . .
oh, nevermind.

I seem to have lost my train of thought.

Prayer can do that to a guy.

But the spirit involved is pretty intense!
Has anyone considered that religion may be a sublimation of
something that naturally and hormonally resembles ecstatic
revelation? Something that is REPRESSED and then USED
to manipulate large numbers of people in powerful ways?

Do we use it, or does it use us?

Um, wait, ... I'll have to meditate ... on the effects of organized,
deliberate, calculated, religion.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 04:44 am
blatham wrote:
And tonight, Bill O'Reilly said on his fox tv show that...

the vatican is "against America" and that the it "ought to get behind America".

Really?

Dear goddess - is there no end to the depths of pathetic idiocy...

Tell me - is he actually a spoof of himself?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 02:25 pm
Man, it is fabulous to see CodeBorg again.
0 Replies

Rancid

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 02:48 pm
Only read the last page of this topic because I have little time.

THE POPE IS DEAD! SO?

So are 10,000 starving children everyday in poverty stricken countries, noone seems to care about them.

I think the pope was an anal retentive retard. The history of the papacy is a complete joke.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 02:52 pm
Rancid wrote:
I think the pope was an anal retentive retard. The history of the papacy is a complete joke.

Could you give some examples to prove those claims?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 03:27 pm
I guess you can't mourn the death of someone you liked as long as there are starving children, or, for that matter, any injustice anywhere. Nice logic.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 05:03 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Rancid wrote:

The history of the Borgia family is one such example. I posted it on some thread recently. But there's a really good book that I read some years ago that addresses this subject eloquently. But unfortunately I don't remember the name. It was something like, The History of the Roman Catholic Church.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 05:09 pm
Quote:
Has anyone considered that religion may be a sublimation of something that naturally and hormonally resembles ecstatic revelation? Something that is REPRESSED and then USED to manipulate large numbers of people in powerful ways?

Freud, Charles Brenner and other contemporary Freudian psychoanalysts have said exactly this. And I agree with them.

Quote:
Do we use it, or does it use us?

We use it well if it improves our lives and the lives of others. We use it badly if the version of religion we use is too literal, punitive, blaming or destructive to scientific knowledge...discouraging of scientific investigation.

It's not religion that is a danger, nor prayer either. It is the form of religion and prayer we use that makes the difference. Not all religions are created equal. Some are destructive and some are uplifting. I prefer the latter.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 05:26 pm
well put Lola, precise and concise.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 06:38 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I posted some links earlier that came through medlineplus.org (the U.S. gov't site) - I'm not sure whether I'm surprised that there are measurable results or not. Mind/body connection and all - but now I'm going to have to consider a mind/body/spirit connection.

bethie

Didn't mean to ignore your original post on this matter. I've bumped into some stuff on this and I could at least go along with Hamlet's statement on 'things between heaven and hell' but I tend to put such matters on a very back burner and wait for others to do the work.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 07:11 pm
dlowan wrote:
blatham wrote:
And tonight, Bill O'Reilly said on his fox tv show that...

the vatican is "against America" and that the it "ought to get behind America".

Really?

Dear goddess - is there no end to the depths of pathetic idiocy...

Tell me - is he actually a spoof of himself?

He did indeed say it, deb. I was flicking channels and stopped for a couple of minutes to witness what might chance to come out of the fellow's mouth. He was doing an interview on the Pope's death with Knut Gingrinch and I thought it likely to be a productive short viewing. Gingrinch, being a more intelligent and sophisticated aspect of pathetic idiocy, attempted to steer Bill towards a view that the Vatican need not support America, that it had a separate role, that of helping out worldly goodness through putting a choke-hold on depravity and other such liberal behaviors. Knut, of course, left his cancer-afflicted first wife (he told her when she was in the hospital) for another fresher bit of stuff, and then he dumped #2 for an even fresher congressional aide he'd been boinking on the side, etc.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 11:36 pm
Lola wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Rancid wrote:

The history of the Borgia family is one such example. I posted it on some thread recently. But there's a really good book that I read some years ago that addresses this subject eloquently. But unfortunately I don't remember the name. It was something like, The History of the Roman Catholic Church.

Well, I doubt that the a 'History of Roman Papacy' and espeically one about the Borgia family, can give proves that John Paul II was an "an anal retentive retard" and that the papacy is a "complete joke".

But of course, you may think so.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 11:44 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Lola wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Rancid wrote:

Well, I doubt that the a 'History of Roman Papacy' and espeically one about the Borgia family, can give proves that John Paul II was an "an anal retentive retard" and that the papacy is a "complete joke".

But of course, you may think so.

No Walter, I don't think so. I was only commenting on the question of the history. I didn't say or think anything about John Paul II.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 11:45 pm
Walter, I've never seen you so excited. Are you ok?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 11:48 pm
Of course - I'm fine :wink:

Besides, I'm really not that engaged in such topics.

I truely believe that no-one should start a war about religion or religious habitudes or religious art or ... religious threads Laughing
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 11:59 pm
Peace then. Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 12:02 am
http://www.creativecyberspace.com/greetingcards/thumbs/peacesign.gif
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 05:17 am
Actually Alexander IV, the Borgia Pope was a rather attractive historical figure. Not at all the master of evil so often portrayed in the trash recycling of historical myths that are a staple money maker for unimaginative writers lookong for material. He was certainly not given to great spiritual restraint and self-deniak, but he was a masterful leader and a model of paternal loyaqlty to all his children, legal and otherwise.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 10:58 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Actually Alexander IV, the Borgia Pope was a rather attractive historical figure. Not at all the master of evil so often portrayed in the trash recycling of historical myths that are a staple money maker for unimaginative writers lookong for material. He was certainly not given to great spiritual restraint and self-deniak, but he was a masterful leader and a model of paternal loyaqlty to all his children, legal and otherwise.

You were there, were you george?
0 Replies