Praying for the Pope...um, just why, exactly?

inyen

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 04:35 pm
Re: Prayers can help
georgeob1 wrote:
inyen wrote:
Prayer is a ritual which might have some similar beneficial effect as meditation. Some sort of mental exercise. It can work as a placebo for the person who prays and for the person who knows that others pray for him or her. As with other placebos, there is no real effective component. Praying to god A can be just as useful as praying to god B. It's just a matter of how hard you believe. And of course there is no reason to think that anything supernatural is going on.

How do you know this to be true?

Because it makes sense. The effect of placebos is widely recognized.
Although I must admit that the Pope's death demonstrates that the prayers for his health have had little effect.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 12:48 pm
How do you know? I wonder how many people prayed that he would rally, and endure more years of pain.

I imagine most prayers were for a peaceful death.

We shall see soon enough.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 01:09 pm
Re: Prayers can help
inyen wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
inyen wrote:
Prayer is a ritual which might have some similar beneficial effect as meditation. Some sort of mental exercise. It can work as a placebo for the person who prays and for the person who knows that others pray for him or her. As with other placebos, there is no real effective component. Praying to god A can be just as useful as praying to god B. It's just a matter of how hard you believe. And of course there is no reason to think that anything supernatural is going on.

How do you know this to be true?

Because it makes sense. The effect of placebos is widely recognized.
Although I must admit that the Pope's death demonstrates that the prayers for his health have had little effect.

Makes sense to whom? Certainly not to the millions that pray daily. Prayer is not a placebo. Placebos are given by doctors. Prayer is something person between the prayer and God. The effects and benefits are individual, personal and spiritually healing.

As I have said before, I am not Catholic but that is a moot point here. This Pope endured many illnesses and even a shooting in his many years. Do you think that the prayers on his behalf just started in the past couple of days? He has been prayed for during his entire tenure. The fact that he survived many things during this time could also be the effect of collective prayer.

Do not be so quick to dismiss that which you do not know about or have experienced.
0 Replies

inyen

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 03:46 pm
Intrepid. Placebos are given by doctors, medicine men and other spiritual healers.
I'm glad you observe that "The effects and benefits are individual, personal and spiritually healing. ". That observation seems to exclude any potential transcendental effect onto others. Scientific investigation and experiments on praying and healing have been done in the US. As far as I know, no beneficial effects of prayers could be established in those surveys. So perhaps I have even been too beneficial in judging its potential.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 04:05 pm
Quote:
Prayer is not usually considered a mind-body or a psychological approach, but it is worthwhile considering it in this context of mind/body treatments. Changes in the concept of health and illness, a broadening view of healing and curing, and interest in other cultural systems of medicine have created a growing openness to the spiritual dimensions of health. There are many anecdotal reports of the power of prayer and its effects on health. This has led to a substantial number of scientific research studies. As of 1992, there were at least 131 controlled trials that evaluated the effect of prayer on humans, microorganisms, plants, cancer cells and animals; 56 of these studies found significant effects (Targ, 1997). In human trials, prayer had a positive effect on levels of stress, depression, hypertension and substance abuse, illness-related complications, and life satisfaction (Targ, 1997). In a systematic review of randomized trials of distant healing, 57% of 23 trials showed a positive treatment effect (Astin, 2000). A recent study of the effects of direct and distant healing on chronic pain, however, showed no specific effect after eight weekly 30 minute treatments (Abbot 2001). This is an area that clearly warrants further stud

http://www.healingchronicpain.org/content/introduction/conv_mndbdy.asp

Mixed results.
Studies continue.

Quote:
"There are literally hundreds of well-done studies on prayer and religion," says James McKoy, MD, a rheumatologist at the Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in Honolulu, who recommends prayer for his patients and often offers to pray with them.

A number of those studies have focused on the benefits for people with arthritis. In a study published late last year, for example, researchers at Johns Hopkins Medical Center in Baltimore found that women with RA who considered themselves spiritual were happier and had more positive perceptions of their health than women who did not consider themselves spiritual -- regardless of their disease severity and ability to function physically. In a separate study of elderly women recovering from hip surgery, researchers found that those with strong religious beliefs experienced less depression, were able to walk longer distances when they left the hospital and recovered faster than women who reported themselves to be less religious. It also appears that religious people are able to deal better with physical illness -- both emotionally and physically -- and recover from illness faster than those who aren't religious.

link

As doubtful as I once was about the benefit of prayer to the individual, and as doubtful as I generally am about the benefit of prayer over distance, I've learned that an open mind to these things is the better way to go.

The human mind is a powerful engine.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 04:08 pm
Quote:
Scientific investigation and experiments on praying and healing have been done in the US. As far as I know, no beneficial effects of prayers could be established in those surveys.

inyen,

As far as YOU know is not scientific evidence of anything. Can you provide documentation of these claims?

Another study showed the following:

"Positive Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer in a Coronary Care Unit Population"

What scientific evidence do we have that God exists? A crucial doctrine of Christianity is that God listens to and answers prayers. So why not test this doctrine scientifically, using a double-blind, clinical trial? This is the exact premise that two groups of cardiac doctors used in double-blind "drug" studies of the efficacy of Christian prayer on healing. Both papers are available online.

1. "Positive Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer in a Coronary Care Unit Population"MethodsCardiac patients from the San Francisco General Medical Center were randomly divided (using a computer-generated list) into two groups. The names of the patients in the "test" group were given to a group of Christians, who prayed for them while they were in the hospital. The intercessory prayer team members were chosen on the following basis:

Born again Christians on the basis of John 3:35
Led an active Christian life on the basis of daily devotional prayer fellowship in a local Christian church
The "placebo" group received no prayer. Neither the "test" nor the "placebo" group of patients knew if they were receiving prayer. Likewise, the hospital staff, doctors, or nurses were "blinded" since they did not know which patient belonged to which group.

ResultsStatistics were acquired from the prayer and placebo groups both before and after prayer, until the patients were discharged from the hospital. There were no statistical differences between the placebo and the prayer groups before prayer was initiated. The results demonstrated that patients who were prayed for suffered "less congestive heart failure, required less diuretic and antibiotic therapy, had fewer episodes of pneumonia, had fewer cardiac arrests, and were less frequently intubated and ventilated." Statistics demonstrated the the prayer group had a statistically significantly lower severity score based upon the hospital course after entry (p < 0.01). Multivariate analysis of all the parameters measured demonstrated that the outcomes of the two groups were even more statistically significant (p < 0.0001). In science, the standard level of significance is when a "p value" is less than 0.05. A value of 0.01 means that the likelihood the result is because of chance is one in 100. A p value of 0.0001 indicates that in only one study out of 10,000 is the result likely to be due to chance. Table 2 from the study is reproduced below. The remarkable thing which one notices is that nearly every parameter measured is affected by prayer, although individually many categories do not reach the level of statistical significance due to sample size. However, multivariate analysis, which compares all parameters together produces a level of significance seldom reached in any scientific study (p < 0.0001). The author points out that the method used in this study does not produce the maximum effect of prayer, since the study could not control for the effect of outside prayer (i.e., it is likely many of the placebo group were prayed for by persons outside of the study). It is likely that a study which used only atheists (who had no Christian family or friends) would produce an even more dramatic result. However, since atheists make up only 1-2% of the population, it would be difficult to obtain a large enough sample size.

When I spoke of spiritual healing, I was referring to ones own spiritual growth and maturity being worked on through their prayer life. The individual benefits derived are not negated or diminished by what others receive.

Can 2 billion Christians be wrong?
0 Replies

inyen

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 04:25 pm
Thanks ehBet

Intrepid: In a forum people can only give their opinions as far as they know.
If 2 billion Christians can't be wrong, neither can all the 7 billion inhabitants of the earth, so everything is going fine on this planet.
By the way. Can 1 billion Muslims be wrong? 1.3 billion chinese?
And 1 zillion flies eat ****.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 04:49 pm
Thanks inyen,

I had almost forgotten about the 1 billion Muslims. Of course, they pray too.

Sorry, but I miss your point on the Chinese. Your comment on the flies indicates that any further discussion from me is fruitless since it is quite evident that when one does not have anything more of a constructive nature to put forth, the discussion descends to the likes of your last sentence.

I am not trying to change your opinions. I would defend your right to have them. I just don't agree with them.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 04:58 pm
I've got some Koi in a fish pond in the back yard.

I'd like to buy them a bicycle they can share among themselves.

Can anyone suggest a good make?
0 Replies

inyen

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 02:44 am
I don't believe this discussion to be as useless as Frank and Intrepid do.

Intrepid, the number argument just doesn't work. Suppose we have 2 billions praying to Christ and 1 billion to Allah; that still leaves us a majority of people on earth who do not pray to these gods but who just according to their numbers can't be wrong either.

Then, let's accept prayers might help. Still the Pope was rushed off to the hospital for treatment based on science. He didn't stay in church to pray.

And worse:
Is it fair that the Pope receives all these prayers? What about those 200.000 tsunami victims? Don't they need more prayers than the Pope?
Aren't we all equal in the eyes of Christ?
Did God create us VIPs and bums?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 05:20 am
Inyen,

Here is my reply to Blatham on page one of this thread - since you have put forward essentially the same objections.

"I think you misunderstand the meaning of prayer. The Pope is at the end of his life, undergoing a process none of us will escape. He has consistently upheld certain values in his life and done so under often difficult conditions requiring both moral courage and a steadfastness of will. He has, through this, shaped events on earth in ways that many people regard as beneficial.

The prayer to which you refer is more a spiritual communion with God by believers who recognize both the universality of death in the human
world and the the aspiration for life in the spiritual one."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 05:44 am
That last sentence sums it up nicely, georgeob1.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 07:26 am
Re rules for prayer ("see Matthew")...

But what if Matthew got it wrong? How would you (anyone) know? It's not as if there is a test for efficacy of prayer technique/procedure/desired ends, at least so far as I know.

The Muslim (other faiths) point above is relevant. Clearly folks from other traditions won't have Matthew's advice available to them. Is their 'prayer' (meditations, trance states, pleas, whatever word applies) therefore purposeless? Again, how would you know that?

george

By repeating your first post, you underline the factor of death in this equation. Your second response was shallow - intellectually and philosophically. If Kierkegaard could investigate such questions with integrity, you could too, at least theoretically. Your tradition (Catholic) has a rich tradition of philosphic inquiry into theological assumptions (unlike North American Protestantism, particularly, which does not).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 07:38 am
blatham, give it a rest. People pray because its all that they feel competent to do in a situation as this.
As far as the CATHOLIC Church having a rich tradition of inquiry, it also has a symmetrically equal tradition at squashing such inquiry to the extent that, today the Jesuits are practically excommunicated. This pope has not been one who appreciated inquiry and questions regarding church practise and doctrine.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 07:47 am
inyen wrote:
I don't believe this discussion to be as useless as Frank and Intrepid do.

Intrepid, the number argument just doesn't work. Suppose we have 2 billions praying to Christ and 1 billion to Allah; that still leaves us a majority of people on earth who do not pray to these gods but who just according to their numbers can't be wrong either.

Then, let's accept prayers might help. Still the Pope was rushed off to the hospital for treatment based on science. He didn't stay in church to pray.

And worse:
Is it fair that the Pope receives all these prayers? What about those 200.000 tsunami victims? Don't they need more prayers than the Pope?
Aren't we all equal in the eyes of Christ?
Did God create us VIPs and bums?

I said that I would not engage in any further conversation on this topic, but I changed my mind.

1- Where you do get the idea that I think that this discussion is useless. The discussion is not useless. However, knocking heads with you on this topic may be useless.

2- What do numbers of prayers verses non-prayers have to do with any of this? It is not like the saying that he with the most toys wins!

3- I do not believe my eyes when you write of the 200,000 Tsunami victims (actually it is closer to 250,000) not getting the same prayers as the Pope did. How do you know this? There are approximately 10,000,000 souls of my faith who I know prayed for every one of them. This is in addition to the prayers from all of the other religions in the world.

4- Now, I will say no more
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 07:54 am
farmerman wrote:
As far as the CATHOLIC Church having a rich tradition of inquiry, it also has a symmetrically equal tradition at squashing such inquiry to the extent that, today the Jesuits are practically excommunicated.

re Jesuits: not as far as I know: on Aug. 7, 1814, Pope Pius VII restored the Jesuits to full legal validity again.
After the restoration, the order grew to be the largest order of male religious.
(Here in Germany/Europe e.g. the Jesuit's Graduate School of Philosophy and Theology in St.Georgen/Francfort is very famous.)
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 07:55 am
Better yet - they educated me!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 08:06 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Better yet - they educated me!

That had been the usual thread after bad marks at school by my parents: 'We send you to Büren'. (That's the place -next town to my native town- where the Jesuit's university was situated before they opened it in Francfort, and where they run a 'Gymnasium' [= grammar school, here with boarding school] as well) :wink:
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 08:27 am
Walter, my operative word was "practically excommunicated". I tend to use excess in my argument. However, surely you must realize that the progressive orders and those that had been involved with Liberation Theology were taken out of the decision making loop during John Paul IIs papacy. Opus Dei and other more conservative organizations were the leading decision makers for John Pauls agenda.

The list of "delisted" orders has included the Jesuits, Franciscans, and the Dominicans. So while Pope John Paul annonized a Jesuit saint during his papacy, he did it with a stern invocation address. There was never mistaking anything that this pope wanted.

I too was trained in a JEsuit Academy. (At least till Jr High)
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 08:38 am
Did they have JUG?
0 Replies