Not As Important As Terri Schiavo But....

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:05 pm
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Hey - Brandon!! You'll find the entry with this picture:

http://www.geocities.com/darkcinema/hod/duhh.jpg
'Give em some more DEMOCRACY!! Both barrells! I can see someone standing!'

No, he's not a sociopath. He was opposed to starving her to death, and never joked about it. You folks, on the other hand....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:06 pm
I think you mean sympathy Brandon not to split hairs. I've never been through this so I cannot have empathy.

Have you been involved personally in a fifteen year circus surrounding a loved one in a vegetative state where you were in a fight with relatives and the media, lawyers, politicians and every Tom Dick and Brandon with an opinion thought they could decide better than you how to conduct your personal affairs? If so, you can empathize. Otherwise you are welcome to sympathize.

You are even welcome to judge me if you like. My self esteem is not dependent on the outcome of your judgement. Very Happy
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:07 pm
old europe wrote:
Maybe it's lack of courage, maybe I'm just bored.

Maybe you lack the ability to actually make arguments to defend your point of view.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:10 pm
Is Bush pointing fingers to a panel, so he's making it look like it's not his fault? That's funny. Bush must be so distraught that he just "found out" he invaded a country because blowing up sh!t is cool.

Brandon, simmer down buddy. Go to another thread if you want some internet hugs over some complete stranger, a vegetable they pulled the plug on. Happens every day, except this one made the tabloids.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:11 pm
You demand empathy for a person who is in a coma for 15 years, but you find it perfectly justifiable to kill thousands because you are scared. I just wonder - how does this go together?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:19 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Is Bush pointing fingers to a panel, so he's making it look like it's not his fault? That's funny. Bush must be so distraught that he just "found out" he invaded a country because blowing up sh!t is cool.

Brandon, simmer down buddy. Go to another thread if you want some internet hugs over some complete stranger, a vegetable they pulled the plug on. Happens every day, except this one made the tabloids.

Actually, I think I'll debate things I disagree with on this thread. Perhaps they can create some new category of thread for you in which your posts can only be answered by people who agree.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:21 pm
old europe wrote:
You demand empathy for a person who is in a coma for 15 years, but you find it perfectly justifiable to kill thousands because you are scared. I just wonder - how does this go together?

Wonder no longer. The fact that I believe there are some things worth going to war for does not imply that I cannot disapprove of murder. Actually.....pssst........I have a secret for you......

.....lots of people feel that certain wars can be justified, and yet still believe that murder in general is wrong.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:23 pm
Cool, Brandon. What about death penalty, then? Right or wrong?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:25 pm
old europe wrote:
Cool, Brandon. What about death penalty, then? Right or wrong?

Right in the case of a murder with aggravating circumstances, e.g. unusual cruelty. I do admit though to being concerned about executing the wrong person.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:30 pm
So you emphasize that murder is wrong by killing somebody who murders?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:32 pm
As you can see, nothing trumps Terri Schiavo. The White House must love it. Bush could pull his pecker out and waggle it on the White House lawn right now and no one would pay attention.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:32 pm
old europe wrote:

I can't see a lot of inconsistency in believing that the worst murderers should be executed but that innocent people shouldn't be. Keep trying, though.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:41 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
old europe wrote:

I can't see a lot of inconsistency in believing that the worst murderers should be executed but that innocent people shouldn't be. Keep trying, though.

I know. It's all just a question of society. I think there shouldn't be any state sanctioned murder, but it's okay if you do.
The Southern States couldn't see a lot of inconsistency in believing in human rights and slavery at the same time. That probably was okay, too.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:45 pm
Late to the thread, but the reason the media doesn't care about the panel's conclusions is....

....we already know that the intelligence about WMD was dead wrong.

We knew it about four days into the invasion, in fact.

Tell me you didn't know it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:45 pm
To be fair, I think an individual death is always easier for we humans to encompass and get excited and distressed about than mass killing.

I think it is the "encompass" thing? We get overwhelmed by the horror in mass death - and cannot get our empathy around it.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:48 pm
Yes. We can call Terri Terri. But how do we call the thousands of Iraqi civilians?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:49 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Late to the thread, but the reason the media doesn't care about the panel's conclusions is....

....we already know that the intelligence about WMD was dead wrong.

We knew it about four days into the invasion, in fact.

Tell me you didn't know it.

you got me there.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:49 pm
old europe wrote:
Yes. We can call Terri Terri. But how do we call the thousands of Iraqi civilians?

Seance?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:52 pm
Oh - each of them has a name, and many calling it, no doubt.

The other thing that helps defend us ahgainst the reality of death and suffering is it being in another country.

Like September 11th was for most of Bin Laden's fanatics.....

Works both ways, sadly.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:52 pm
It's all about making something into a personal story. Remember Jessica Lynch? That was a name. A person. A face. "No WMD in Iraq" is just something. Who cares?
0 Replies