Ugly sentiments sting American tourists

Piffka

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 07:15 pm
I'm not sure what lynching has to do with this, other than it is a rotten thing and Americans did it, so it is fun to bring up.

I'm not even sure what boycotts have to do with this, however I think you are missing the point which is that boycotting is voting with your pocketbook. It is a fine and traditional way of creating social change. If enough people are disgusted with something and will not purchase it, then it is not marketable. I don't know anybody who follows an "organized" boycott. I certainly haven't since everybody was asked not to buy green grapes... and that was ages ago. Sure, somebody may SAY there's a boycott, but the fact is, people buy what they want for a variety of reasons, chiefly need & cost.

Let's see, the E.U. boycotts most American food products because they aren't natural foods... is that an OK boycott or do we call that standard trading practice? How about the Arab boycott of ALL Israeli products? I mentioned that before, but that has been passed over as acceptable and reasonable.

I assume the boycott was brought up on this thread because it can be considered a boycott if Americans decide not to travel so much. There are plenty of reasons for not taking a grand tour, or even a half-grand tour... one being our economy is in the toilet right now. A lot of people who thought they had money, now find they don't. Another is that with the world is in such a state of unrest, a lot of Americans would prefer to not risk their family's lives for a vacation. And finally, there may be some Americans who have heard that the world doesn't want them, has, in fact, pulled back the welcome mat. Is that a boycott or just simple good sense?

The rest of the world is a little dopey if they think they can classify all Americans as doing any single thing... because we don't do that at all. We are a hodge-podge of people, doing a hodge-podge of things, including travel.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 08:55 pm
I used lynching merely to say that the fact that an attitude was invented in a country, does not translate in extensive behavior over time. Sorry if I hurt any feelings.

I certainly know that boycotts are intended as wallet votes. All I say is that they usually do not work at all.

I also think -and that the point of my lenghy post- that whoever mistreats the members of any nationality because s/he disagrees with their government position, is acting very stupidly, like a true jerk.

Finally, I have the feeling that somebody, with a definite isolationist agenda, is pushing, through generalizations, the "Europeans hate us" feeling.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 01:50 am
fbaezer

Agree!
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 11:06 pm
steissd wrote:
European media brainwash people against the USA.

that is about the most ignorant remark i have heard on this site,

in fact, most europeans like americans, even the french, it is the american government that the european people and press is antagonistic about, especially since that worthless piece of $hit became president in 2001.

three years ago, europeans loved america and clinton, thinking that at last america had found its voice as the responsible leader in the world, america backed the world court tribunals, provided troops to stop genocide in the balkans, supported aids research in africa, worked to find peace in the middle-east, and helped write the kyoto treaty. now all is in ruins, and the europeans know exactly who is responsible. and it is the alleged leadership in the white house.

fortunately, europeans appear to be better educated than americans, have a better sense of history and are not so easily brainwashed by the likes of rupert murdoch.

unfortunately, as the earlier poster illustrated, americans are much more easily brainwashed.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:00 am
kuvasc,
Many, many good points, and glad that you made it here. Yes, but some of us here know who is responsible too.

smccandless01 (in a previous existence)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:14 am
I have to wonder does the Bush mentality mirror about 50% of the mentality of the American electorate. Or is he an anomoly?
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:46 am
As a swede, I'll try not be a jerk, ever! But my boss, a.k.a son-of-the-boss, are trying to convince me that the news that we get here in Europe is being controlled by the US government, meaning we only get to read what the Bush Administration want us to read!

He also says that he's found reasonable proof that it wasn't Atta & co. that conducted 9/11, at least not being backed by bin Laden, but from another force... I'll check that later...

As for being a tourist in the US, I'll check back on you later, with our experiences as a bi-national couple, swedish/german.

As long as one is fair in a discussion about who is at fault, I don't mind it. But when people start thrashing nationalities, I go mad and try to shut my mouth! Never forget that we're always blinded by the light when we go to elect presidents, chancellors, primeministers and and their likes! Always coming with empty promises, sweet-talking the economy, bad-mouthing everyone else, but always disappoint us after being elected.

Thank you, kuvasz, very well put!
0 Replies