Schiavo Autopsy

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 12:56 am
Husband seeks autopsy on Terri Schiavo

Quote:
PINELLAS PARK, Florida (CNN) -- Terri Schiavo's husband has asked that an autopsy be performed on his wife after she dies so that a full report can be done on the extent of her brain damage, an attorney for Michael Schiavo said Monday. . . .

I thought they were already certain with respect to the extent of Terri's brain damage. If there was any uncertainty . . . how could he justify causing her death through starvation and dehydration?

And . . . if her brain is so damaged that she can't feel pain . . . why is it necessary to medicate her with morphine?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,719 • Replies: 38
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 01:01 am
Re: Schiavo Autopsy
Debra_Law wrote:
Husband seeks autopsy on Terri Schiavo

Quote:
PINELLAS PARK, Florida (CNN) -- Terri Schiavo's husband has asked that an autopsy be performed on his wife after she dies so that a full report can be done on the extent of her brain damage, an attorney for Michael Schiavo said Monday. . . .

I thought they were already certain with respect to the extent of Terri's brain damage. If there was any uncertainty . . . how could he justify causing her death through starvation and dehydration?

And . . . if her brain is so damaged that she can't feel pain . . . why is it necessary to medicate her with morphine?

Perhaps the idea is to demonstrate that no foul play was involved in the creation of her condition.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 01:22 am
Morphine: Acts in central nervous system (brain and spinal cord) to block pain messages. Activates pain-modulating systems in the brain that project to the spinal cord.

Source: http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/pain.html

If Terri's brain is so damaged that it cannot process the pain messages . . . why the need to medicate her with morphine?
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:14 am
To satisfy the parents and other lunatics?

The autopsy sounds like a ploy to counter the demonizing right wing calling him a murderer. I think it's mostly PR.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 04:56 am
Please define "demonizing right wing."

I don't think I'm a member of that group, but I believe Michael Schiavo had a significant hand in the events leading to Terri's demise (beginning on February 25, 1990) . . . the same as I believe that Scott Peterson had a significant hand in the events leading to Laci's demise.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 05:09 am
I'm not looking to get into an argument, I'm just saying the man might feel a need to clear his name, and might think that an autopsy is the way to do it.

This is off course pure speculation on my part.

Edit: I have not really looked innto the case, just picked up on hearsay from various forums. I was under the impression that the husband had been the target of personal attacks.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 07:01 am
Einherjar- I agree. I think that Michael is doing a wise thing. There has been so much scuttlebutt about not only spousal abuse, but possibly that Michael caused Terri to be in the condition that she has been in. There were also allegations that he strangled her. An autopsy would finally put that all to rest.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 07:56 am
I think this just proves how strongly he believes that she is no longer with us. Right or wrong in your mind, it's his decision and I am happy to see he is sticking by it.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 07:56 am
He made himself very clear in the article in today's NYTimes. His wish for an autopsy is to clear his name. Many are also saying that his wish for her to be cremated is an attempt to hide wrongdoing on his part so, the autopsy will be performed to counter that. It's a shame that after all she's been thru, she has to indure this final invasion but the public and her family leaves him no choice.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 07:58 am
Perhaps, if this is what she would have wanted (not being kept "alive"), she would be glad to have the one person who carried out her wishes exonerated from any wrong doing.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:00 am
I was just thinking that, Bella. He's probably convinced himself that she would.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:02 am
eoe wrote:
I was just thinking that, Bella. He's probably convinced himself that she would.

You are probably right, eoe. Maybe she would, maybe she wouldn't. It's sad we'll never know.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:04 am
Like so many things that I too guilty of, it looks like you Debra, are part of the group that has decided that foul play is involved and Michael is lying about everything and if that is your unshakable premise then everything and anything that occurs in this case can and will be moulded to fit your opinion.

It's not a slam, we're all guilty of it when encountering something so wholly repugnant and evil to us. I am guilty of it most times in all matters concerning our current president and the people running his show.

We're all prety opinionated as a species n'est pas?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:07 am
indeed.
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 11:09 am
Debra:
You equate Michael Schiavo with Scott Peterson.......??
0 Replies

Zedd

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:25 pm
i understand the husband's wanting to get an autopsy, but i wish he wouldn't have done it. just let the poor woman rest in peace.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:36 pm
Both her husband and her parents wanted the final autopsy. That was the one thing that they all agreed upon.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 03:24 pm
So, what would we suspect the guy of if he declined an autopsy?
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 01:10 am
The autopsy was necessary to prove her condition. It should show that her brain was in such a decayed state that she couldn't have been aware. It would also put an end to the accusations that he caused her broken bones.

But I don't think the extremists will be happy no matter what the results show.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 01:27 am
I don't think anyone killed her but was there an answer to "why morphine?" Just interested.
0 Replies