Is my boyfriend's testosterone too low?

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2018 03:13 pm
Hello. My boyfriend and I participated in a defense,grappling class the other night at our gym. He was matched up against a 12 year old boy. He laughed at first,but the boy who was also smaller defeated him three straight falls. The boy obviously had more grappling skills and experience but he seemed to overpower my boyfriend and dominate most of the time which led me to believe his testosterone may be low. Could this be from too much sex? He runs and works out at the gym with light weights and does yoga, so he has a healthy lifestyle.

engineer

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2018 03:35 pm
@becca8052,
Doubtful. That 12 year old was there for the purpose of showing how skill overcomes size and strength. My wrestling coach would pit our 120lb state champion wrestler against kids substantially bigger and he would pin them every time, often in seconds.

On a different note, it's kind of sad how this has obviously diminished your opinion of your boyfriend.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2018 03:35 pm
You're complaining because he can't beat up 12 year old boys or you're having too much sex? Maybe, he needs to compete against 8 year old boys. If his sex drive is too high then maybe he's got too much testosterone.

http://www.ikigaiway.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/kramer-karate.jpg
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2018 03:51 pm
@becca8052,
Some food for thought - do you think your friend felt that in a room full of civilized adults in a classroom setting that he was open to using his full strength and weight advantage on a child? Rather than having a medical condition, it is likely that he felt he should restrain himself since using brute force against a child to win is not something worth doing.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2018 04:35 pm
@becca8052,
I am pretty sure the problem is the yoga... that will shrivel up the testicles oof any man. Have him join a real gym, something with free weights and a punching bag.
0 Replies

becca8052

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2018 04:43 pm
@engineer,
To be fair the kid had been training a while and apparently wrestles, too. He's 120lbs, which seems above average for a 12 yesr old boy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2018 05:35 pm
@becca8052,
becca8052 wrote:
The boy obviously had more grappling skills and experience

skill rules
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2018 06:17 pm
@becca8052,
Quote:
Could this be from too much sex?

No, he may need more exercise not less and you can work on his grappling skills as a concomitant.
0 Replies

bunnyhabit

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2018 10:48 pm
Testosterone has no bearing on physical strength only sexual drive and performance. The twelve year was stronger and more skilled than yours boyfriend. If he was stressed or over tired this could lead to his loss also.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 07:19 am
He could ask the boy to go running with him. See what happens.

I don’t know why you brought BF’s sexual activity into this, unless it’s you who feels wrestling has something to do with your BF’s masculinity. Sounds like your problem, not his.
becca8052

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 07:42 am
@PUNKEY,
The boy is actually a fast 5k and 10k runner, too. But my boyfriend is a long distant runner,such as half marathons.
engineer

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 07:48 am
@becca8052,
Is this still bothering you? Your boyfriend was in a no-win situation. Either he loses to a child as a class demonstration or beats on a child and comes off as a hyper aggressive jerk. There is not a lot of middle ground here.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 07:54 am
@becca8052,
Running does not make someone a good grappler.

Training and practice can make someone a good grappler.

A small woman who is well-trained and practiced can flip much larger men - that is why this is used for self-defence. Testosterone has absolutely nothing to do with it.

My friend's almost five year old daugher has been doing MMA for a year - she's got mad flipping skills with very limited testosterone.

Your boyfriend was an untrained person up against a trained person. It was a great demonstration of how this works as a self-defence tool.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 08:25 am
This is a ridiculous thread...

I am amusing myself imagining how people would respond if the genders were reversed and this was a man asking if his girlfriend's estrogen was too low because she was beating up 12 year olds.

This is a pretty absurd discussion revolving around archaic ideas on gender...
0 Replies

markmitchell29

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 09:08 am
@becca8052,
No, I don't think his testosterone level have anything to do with this. This happened because his lack of experience in martial arts especially in grappling classes like judo or ju jitsu. For example Jigoro Kano (the founder of judo) was only 5 feet tall but he could easily over power opponents that were taller or heavier than him.
0 Replies

stevensdler

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 12:11 pm
@becca8052,
He just needs confidence. Compete with yourself and try to be better than yesterday. It is not always about physical strength, Mental strength also matters.
0 Replies