Where in Cali should I stay "away" from?

farmerman

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:41 pm
Places that suck majorly, and , big time

Stockton

Bakersfield (think Bayonne NJ with hot weather in the summer and fog in the winter)

Fresno

Richmond (bang , youre dead)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 04:34 pm
A. lived in Fresno too, hated it
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 05:43 pm
OK, OK, most of San Diego is quite beautiful in the visual sense, I agree. I just find that it's waaay too close to Los Angeles, the cloaca which gives all the rest of Southern Cal a bad reputation. Richmond's only redeeming feature is that it's close to Berkeley and to San Fran.

Chris, I didn't realize that your main concern was for safety. I thought you just wanted advice on what to avoid because time is limited and there's no sense in wasting it. For breathatking natural beauty, I recommend the Mother Lode Country and the Sierra Nevadas, up north. For a world-class city, visit San Francisco, gem of the Pacific. Even the Tenderloin isn't all that bad. Just take a cab if you're going there at night. While in the Bay Area, take a ride out to Bodega Bay where Alfred Hitchcock filmed The Birds.

This is just rambling, I know. But can you tell I'm not at all fond of Southern Cal but like the northern tip of the state quite well?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:46 pm
I remember that Chris has asked questions about California before, about where different ethnic groups live, and how much money it takes to move to San Francisco, and perhaps another question or two. We from California could possibly help you more, Chris, if you could be specific about your needs and fears. I wasn't being taunting when I asked early in the thread what you are afraid of, or at least I didn't mean to be. We don't know what you want to work in, what you dream of doing, what interests you, or what you want to avoid.
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 11:06 am
Re: Where in Cali should I stay "away" from?
chris56789 wrote:
Before I go to California, can you guys suggest to me what areas or cities I should "stay away" from? Any advice?

Stay away from California. Period
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 11:41 am
Why?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 02:23 pm
Yeah, why?
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 12:43 pm
Jane, I had a horrific experience in both San Diego and Los Angeles. I will never forger how I was treated and nearly stripped of my morality, humanity, self-worth, humiliated, harassed, dehumanised, poked, and fingered-like Sad
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 01:12 pm
Well, you shouldn't go to Venice Beach right away....

Seriously though, would you care to elaborate?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 01:28 pm
I'm from Venice Beach and I wouldn't do that to you! Shocked Smile

So, whatever happened to you made you say stay away from California?
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 05:35 pm
Don't be so quick to write off South L.A.

http://www.misterpants.com/library/wattstowers/

I don't know what it is you're looking to do but if there are places you'd like to see that are in threatening areas, take a tour bus, go during the day, find someone from the area to go with you.

I live just south of Los Angeles and regularly travel from San Diego to San Francisco to Lake Tahoe and beyond and I can tell you there are some truly crappy areas... crappy areas with great people and, on the other hand, great areas with crappy people. But this something I've found to be the case in Boston, Sydney, Montego Bay... wherever.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:24 pm
Speaking as a ferriner who has been to California quite a few times - why worry? California is great. Just keep your wits about you, keep the car doors locked and avoid eye contact on the freeway Very Happy
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:29 pm
Where to go and where not to go in california can change from block to block to stay out of L.A. would be a shame but go with a freind you'll get lost.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 10:17 am
adding my 2 cents, san diego is in general way nicer than most of southern california. even the climate is cooler in summer, despite its more southern location. there are only scattered spots to the north that are comparable: laguna beach, santa monica, and santa barbara are 3 examples. my only caveats on san diego are, don't swim in the ocean, because the water quality is marginal at best, and stay off the main north-south freeways, 5 & 15, southbound in the morning and nothbound in the evening, on week days.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:48 pm
This dude's post is from march.He's probrobly already back from california.If anyone else goes to cali. ask me, I've been everywhere.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:51 pm
well i believe georgeob1 has just moved to california

so you go and see him, you'll be ok in that bit
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 03:37 pm
farmerman wrote:
Places that suck majorly, and , big time

Stockton

Bakersfield (think Bayonne NJ with hot weather in the summer and fog in the winter)

Fresno

Richmond (bang , youre dead)

I lived the first 2 1/2 years of my life in Richmond.

My dad grew up in Bakersfield.

I've got two aunts and an uncle in Fresno.

My sister lives halfway between Stockton and Sacramento.

Why're you picking on my like this?
0 Replies

revo

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 12:48 pm
Re: Where in Cali should I stay "away" from?
chris56789 wrote:
Before I go to California, can you guys suggest to me what areas or cities I should "stay away" from? Any advice?

well Redding California (north cali) is wher ei live, and its pretty nice. we have the sundial bridge, which is a plexiglass bridge so it doesnt scare the fish that swim under it. as in for them its not bright as day, than realy dark, than bright as day again. and when u cross the bridge we have this kewl arboritum, with tons of flowers. but go on a rare cool day. because it sometimes gets to 110 F.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 01:00 pm
Is that the bridge by Santiago Calatrava? That is a beautiful bridge.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 01:05 pm
http://archrecord.construction.com/news/daily/archives/040721calatrava.asp

http://www.abramarketing.com/Turtle_Bay_Sundial_Bridge/calatrava_sundial_bridge.html

http://www.leica-gallery.net/obryk/folder-7143.htm
0 Replies