What is a date?

paulaj

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 12:39 am
gravy wrote:
I am wondering if coffee and conversation (to me a cordial thing) will be considered pre"BAM" (in dlowan's parlance), in which case, I will have to migrate from this town again....

I was standing outside getting some fresh air friday night, and a fellow drove by me twice, waved, pulled over got out of his car and introduced himself. He handed me his card and asked me if I would like to go out for coffee, I said maybe, as friends!
I would have to say this caught me off guard a bit, but he seemed very nice and friendly, and he made it a point to tell me he was not going out with anyone. We were automatically not on the same page, he was gun-hoe! and I wasn't.
I think going out for a coffee with this guy will give him false hopes.

Gravy, if I was attracted to a guy and he didn't feel the same way towards me, I would prefer that he not contact me as I would probably have false hopes myself.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 12:39 am
dlowan wrote:
Aaaargh - look, I have been....er....having sex and beloveds for quite a while now - and this "date" thing kind of leaves me cold.

I think I have been on about 10 "dates" in my life.

Generally, I kind of hang out with fellas - and hang out more - and then - BAM. We be beloveds. Or - slow b-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-m and we be beloveds. Or not. Sometimes we hang out and such, and after a few years, we be very close friends. Or we hang out, and have a friendly tango or two and we are still friends - or not. So it goes.

I remember my fourth "date".

It was with a housemate of some friends.

I dropped round to pick him up - and the house was in turmoil. My dear friends who lived there had just broken up. He (he was in his first year of teaching) was running off with his Principal's husband. She was off interstate to stay with a friend until he moved out. Everyone was there - Principal, husband, my "date", the other male housemate, the two members of the couple, and the Principal.

I ended up on the "date" with my date, and the other male housemate.

a. I realised the boys were outraged, not because our friend had broken up with our other friend in a truly mean way, but because he had left her for another MAN.

Homophobic - strike one.

b. My "date" was rude and arrogant to the waiter.

Strike two.

I have never "dated" again - (as opposed to finding partners) - until the last couple of years.

Whole damn thing is weird.

I prefer hanging out and then - BAM - or not.

And you make good friends, too.

Yup, this is the way I am. I barely ever dated either and when I did, I never enjoyed myself. The men I've gotten very close to in my life were met in passing, usually at a party or being out and about with friends.
0 Replies

rodbogey

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 01:08 am
Getting back on track with Kicky's question regarding his so called date I'd say that maybe the word scared her. "Date" seems like a magical word that can scare people out, especially the ones that are looking for a "no strings attached" issue. To me a "date" seems to be pretty formal. If you consider the verbal form of "date" you can confirm that. You tell somebody "would you date me?" when things are serious. I rather use the term "to hang out", it just reliefs me from certain pressure I got on "dates". Therefore, for me, the best way to date somebody is to do it without using that scary word -particularly if you're just meeting someone-. Now, what is a date? I think up to this date no one has been able to define what a date really is, but i think is more like when two people hang out while pursuing, together, a more intimate contact than just having great conversations, but at the same time I think that a great conversation is the corner stone of a good date.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 07:41 am
The word date does seem to have some meaning of intent to some people. For others it's just another word for hanging out.

For people who are in the dating/hanging out phases of their life, it's probably worth checking with the person they're considering dating/hanging out with - make sure they're not going to scare them off by using the 'wrong' terminology.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 05:45 pm
and now ... the man date

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/10/fashion/10date.html?

Quote:
Anyone who finds a date with a potential romantic partner to be a minefield of unspoken rules should consider the man date, a rendezvous between two straight men that is even more socially perilous.

Simply defined a man date is two heterosexual men socializing without the crutch of business or sports. It is two guys meeting for the kind of outing a straight man might reasonably arrange with a woman. Dining together across a table without the aid of a television is a man date; eating at a bar is not. Taking a walk in the park together is a man date; going for a jog is not. Attending the movie "Friday Night Lights" is a man date, but going to see the Jets play is definitely not.

"Sideways," the Oscar-winning film about two buddies touring the central California wine country on the eve of the wedding of one of them, is one long and boozy man date.

Although "man date" is a coinage invented for this article, appearing nowhere in the literature of male bonding (or of homosexual panic), the 30 to 40 straight men interviewed, from their 20's to their 50's, living in cities across the country, instantly recognized the peculiar ritual even if they had not consciously examined its dos and don'ts. Depending on the activity and on the two men involved, an undercurrent of homoeroticism that may be present determines what feels comfortable or not on a man date

Quote:
When attending a movie together - preferably with explosions or heavy special effects, never a romantic comedy - guys prefer to put a nice big seat between each other. (This only sounds like an episode of "Seinfeld.") "Going to the movie with one other guy is sort of weird, but you can balance it out by having a seat space between you," explained Ames McArdle, a financial analyst in Washington.

Quote:
All men, however, agree that one rule of guy-meets-guy time is inviolable: if a woman enters the picture, a man can drop his buddies, last minute, no questions asked.

A romantic date always trumps a man date.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:56 pm
I've read that ridiculous man-date article. It's stupid to put a label on two guy friends going out to hang out other than to watch sports.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:57 pm
you are such a girl sometimes
probably why i love you
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:19 pm
I agree with Slappy. That idiotic piece of **** article was probably written by some homo.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:22 pm
Quote:
"Going to the movie with one other guy is sort of weird, but you can balance it out by having a seat space between you," explained Ames McArdle.....

So how do you get to hold hands?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:25 pm
ehBeth wrote:
probably why i love you

Kicky - you started this sh*t off - now get her to stop IT!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 10:54 am
ha!

you have no idea what you're up against
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 11:04 am
Oh I didn't see that beth already posted the article. Sorry beth.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 11:24 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
probably why i love you

Kicky - you started this sh*t off - now get her to stop IT!!

I've learned that when she gets going, it's best to just get out of the way and let her go. If you fight it, it only makes her stronger. You should see the mess she made out of my "I hate women with painted toenails" thread. Oy.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 11:44 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
It's the dried fruit of palm trees - too many will give you the runs.

How to tell you're having a really dumb@ss day:
I was two pages beyond this before I got it.

For all my ineptitude at it, I miss dating. Even the scary parts...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 03:02 pm
kickycan wrote:
I've learned that when she gets going, it's best to just get out of the way and let her go. If you fight it, it only makes her stronger.

I'm havin' that put on a t-shirt.
Or maybe my business cards.

<did you get that from my performance review?>
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 07:18 pm
George wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:
It's the dried fruit of palm trees - too many will give you the runs.

How to tell you're having a really dumb@ss day:
I was two pages beyond this before I got it.

For all my ineptitude at it, I miss dating. Even the scary parts...

I may have seemed a trifle.... inexplicable for a while there ('What is that Aussie nutjob on about?')
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 07:22 pm
Trifle - is that something like a fruit fool?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 07:34 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Trifle - is that something like a fruit fool?

Who you calling a 'fool', Betty?

I once spotted Gustave walking down the street He had crammed his ears with sponge cake, poured custard on his head and topped the lot of with some jam. He was liberally annoiting himself with some Amaretto when I asked him what the hell he was up to.

"You'll have to speak up", he said, "I'm a trifle deaf".
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 06:22 am
Kiss your thread goodbye, Kicks.
0 Replies