Is the "culture of life" a culture of hypocrisy?

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 08:00 pm
Culture of life doesn't square with anti-tax movement

Quote:
Maintaining a culture of life requires a collective funding arrangement that sustains people who can't care for themselves. It's possible to be an anti-tax warrior. It's possible to be pro-life. But in the era of high-cost medical miracles, it's impossible to be both.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 08:32 pm
Re: Is the "culture of life" a culture of hypocris
DrewDad wrote:
Several folks brought this up on the Schiavo thread; I thought it warranted a larger discussion.

Bush interrupted his vacation to sign a highly controversial law in an attempt to block the removal of Terri Schiavo's feeding tube.
But, he did not interrupt his vacation after the recent tsunami.
And, he did not commute death sentences during his tenure as the Governor of Texas.

Can someone reconcile these for me?

(Note: edited "pardon death-row inmates" to "commute death sentences." Roger had a good point about my inexact language.)

(Note: edited again to correct a spelling error in the subject line.)

This "quandary" is so typical a construct.

First of all, and at its most basic consideration, there is certainly no requirement that Bush conform with your individual perspective of morality.

Secondly, any comparative between Terri Schiavo and a convicted murderer on Death Row is absurd.

Finally, insisting on some conformity between official positions on subjects so diverse as Schiavo and the Asian Tsunami reveals an entirely partisan attack plan.

You are playing on the inconsequential edges of an important societal issue. Not unexpected, but shameful, nevertheless.
0 Replies

owl

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 08:52 pm
George Bush is simply using the Schiavo case as a means to bolster his sagging approval rating. What he is doing is despicable.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 09:31 pm
Finn, I mentioned several other discrepancies. Care to address them?

Should all lives be preserved? Or just innocent lives? At what cost? Any cost?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 09:48 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Finn, I mentioned several other discrepancies. Care to address them?

Should all lives be preserved? Or just innocent lives? At what cost? Any cost?

What other "discrepancies?"

The answers to your following questions have nothing to do with your original premise: Bush is a hypocrite. If you choose to alter your course, mid-stream, so be it.

No, all lives need not be preserved.

Innocent lives should be preserved.

The cost needs to be defined and measured. An innocent life should not be preserved at the cost of all other life. This is a fairly elemental equation.

Looping back to your untargeted rant, what is the overall cost of preserving unborn children, the terminally ill, the disabled?

Specifically, what is the overall and overriding cost of preserving the life of Terri Schivano?
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 10:09 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Several folks brought this up on the Schiavo thread; I thought it warranted a larger discussion.
Bush interrupted his vacation to sign a highly controversial law in an attempt to block the removal of Terri Schiavo's feeding tube.
And, he did not commute death sentences during his tenure as the Governor of Texas.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Construct or correlative realization?

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

First of all, and at its most basic consideration, there is certainly no requirement that Bush conform with your individual perspective of morality.

Individual perspective of morality?
Surely you must see that elementary and "basic" consideration is of the same "type" as the perspective of morality that is being shoved down the throats of the American people by Bush.
Is it because he's President that he is entitled to special considerations?

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Secondly, any comparative between Terri Schiavo and a convicted murderer on Death Row is absurd.

If you meant comparison...let me illustrate what has been addressed above: court decisions are generally accurate and generally just. However, there have been instances where death row inmates have been found innocent on all counts of charges even after having spent a great deal of time in lockdown.
Brandon9000 has gone to great lengths from here onward about the uncertainty and degree of subjectivity in a court's decisions. You'd have to have a whole lot of faith in the judicial system to believe it is infallible.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Finally, insisting on some conformity between official positions on subjects so diverse as Schiavo and the Asian Tsunami reveals an entirely partisan attack plan.

Culture of life lovers love life. Kind of a truism, but tragedies are, by their very nature, a loss of life.
You would hope that someone who loves life so much not only take the time out of his busy schedule to show up on an aircraft carrier with a turkey could parachute into South-East Asia or something with some rice and a blanket.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
You are playing on the inconsequential edges of an important societal issue. Not unexpected, but shameful, nevertheless.

Playing on the inconsequential edges of an important societal issue?
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
Bush has legislation flown out to him to save this women who has logged a decade and a half in a PVS, attempting to undermine the judicial courts who have blatantly opposed his moral bias on this issue but doesn't bat an eye at this?

Wanna talk shameful?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 10:35 pm
owl wrote:
George Bush is simply using the Schiavo case as a means to bolster his sagging approval rating. What he is doing is despicable.

So says "owl!" Undoubtedly, "owl" has an inside track to the political machinations of the White House.

Move beyond your irrational hatred for Bush and recognize that his involvement in this matter has been minimal.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 10:45 pm
candidone1 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Construct or correlative realization?

Your point is?

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Individual perspective of morality?
Surely you must see that elementary and "basic" consideration is of the same "type" as the perspective of morality that is being shoved down the throats of the American people by Bush.
Is it because he's President that he is entitled to special considerations?

Your point is?

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

If you meant comparison...let me illustrate what has been addressed above: court decisions are generally accurate and generally just. However, there have been instances where death row inmates have been found innocent on all counts of charges even after having spent a great deal of time in lockdown.
Brandon9000 has gone to great lengths from here onward about the uncertainty and degree of subjectivity in a court's decisions. You'd have to have a whole lot of faith in the judicial system to believe it is infallible.

Your point is?

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Culture of life lovers love life. Kind of a truism, but tragedies are, by their very nature, a loss of life.
You would hope that someone who loves life so much not only take the time out of his busy schedule to show up on an aircraft carrier with a turkey could parachute into South-East Asia or something with some rice and a blanket.

Your point is nonsensical.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Playing on the inconsequential edges of an important societal issue?
What the hell is that supposed to mean?

That means that DrewDad, like so many other folks (such as yourself) have seized upon an issue of societal profundity, and dragged it down into their personal partisan gutter.

Bush has legislation flown out to him to save this women who has logged a decade and a half in a PVS, attempting to undermine the judicial courts who have blatantly opposed his moral bias on this issue but doesn't bat an eye at this?

Blah blah blah...(expletive deleted)

Wanna talk shameful?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 11:02 pm
Quote:
Move beyond your irrational hatred for Bush and recognize that his involvement in this matter has been minimal.

I would hardly call it "minimal" when the President flies back to DC from vacation to sign a bill passed in the middle of the night on a weekend when Congress is supposed to be on vacation. I would call it a highly visible and highly symbolic event. The President expressed an urgent need to address the issue by doing what he did. I can think of few instances where a President acted so quickly and so visibly to sign a bill.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 11:04 pm
You're a complete and utter waste of my time....
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 12:10 am
parados wrote:
Quote:

I would hardly call it "minimal" when the President flies back to DC from vacation to sign a bill passed in the middle of the night on a weekend when Congress is supposed to be on vacation. I would call it a highly visible and highly symbolic event. The President expressed an urgent need to address the issue by doing what he did. I can think of few instances where a President acted so quickly and so visibly to sign a bill.

"I would hardly call it "minimal."

I have no doubt that you would.

If you find the timing of the events so nefarious, perhaps you need to look, first, to the Florida courts, the Federal courts and poor Mrs Schivano.

That the immediacy of Mrs Schivano's situation impinged upon the President's vacation is hardly evidence of a Bushian urgency, but I doubt you will see your way clear to the rationality of the facts.

The depth of your Presidential scholarship is highly suspect to begin with, but irrelevant when the topic you address is predicated upon the length of time it might take a person to die from starvation and/or dehydration.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 12:13 am
candidone1 wrote:
You're a complete and utter waste of my time....

This says all about you that we need to know.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 12:49 am
Finn,

I (personally) do not have a partisan axe to grind. I know where I stand. I've stated my views numerous times on other threads.

I have highlighted what seem to me to be contradictions in the President's (and other politicians') stance on the preservation of life.

I have asked if anyone can explain to me the reasoning behind these attitudes, because I, frankly, am baffled.

Attempting to understand an opposing viewpoint is hardly an "untargeted rant."

If you do not wish to participate in the conversation, or are unable to participate in a civil manner, then feel free to ignore the thread.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 02:50 am
candidone1 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
candidone1 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
candidone1 wrote:
Culture of life huh?...How 'bout these folks?

Quote:
152 Executions while Bush was Governor

152 Claude Jones 12/07/2000
151 Daniel Hittle 12/06/2000
150 Garry Miller 12/05/2000.......

The fact that you think some murderers should be executed does not obligate you to also think that innocent people should also be executed. You are trying so hard to make something of nothing.

Brandon, I'll kindly refer you back to your outright and ad nauseum denial of the validity of the Schiavo outcome.
If you wish to discuss "something out of nothing" after that, I'd gladly entertain the dialogue, but until then, I respectfully ask that you hold yourself to the same standard you hold other a2k members.
That way you can't trivialize our attempts with a false sense of superiority.

The point you were making was illogical in implying that wanting some murderers executed was inconsistent with not wanting innocent people executed.

Well, you either cherish and value human life, or you don't....Like I said, you either value life, or you don't.

Oh, my! You're not actually claiming that a person who doesn't want to see innocent people executed, must logically therefore be against capital punishment or else be a hypocrite, are you? Tell me that you are!
0 Replies

chiczaira

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 02:56 am
DrewDad: Overturning or modifying Roe Vs. Wade might alienate some voters as the current Schavio court rulings may be doing, but I am sure that you recognize that the courts are in business to assess whether legislation is legal and/or constitutional. Since Judges serve for life, they are not moved to any great extent by the will of the people.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 09:48 am
Finn wrote:
Quote:
If you find the timing of the events so nefarious, perhaps you need to look, first, to the Florida courts, the Federal courts and poor Mrs Schivano.

When did I say it was nefarious? I only said the action was not minimal. Perhaps you need to get away from your partisanship and look at what I said and not what you think the motivations are of anyone that disagrees with you.

Quote:
That the immediacy of Mrs Schivano's situation impinged upon the President's vacation is hardly evidence of a Bushian urgency, but I doubt you will see your way clear to the rationality of the facts.

The depth of your Presidential scholarship is highly suspect to begin with, but irrelevant when the topic you address is predicated upon the length of time it might take a person to die from starvation and/or dehydration.
Could you give another explanation then for Bush flying back on a Sunday to sign the legislation? He could have easily flown back on Monday or Tuesday. He could have signed the legislation in Texas. It would have been FASTER to have the legislation flown to him if speed was the issue of greatest importance. I am sorry, but I don't see much in Bush's actions other than an attempt to make it visible. It was a very symbolic and highly visible move to fly back and land on the WH lawn with TV cameras for the express purpose of signing the legislation. That hardly makes it "nefarious". But it does make it clear that it is important to the President in one form or another and the President was making a statement to the public that he thought it was important.

Feel free to improve my presidential scholarship by pointing out the last 3 times a President flew back to Washington to specifically sign a piece of legislation within 12 hours of Congress passing it. President's often turn signing ceremonies into public events but usually they are planned and signed in public.

As for the topic of this thread. Bush's statement after signing the legislation is very relevant to it. Bush said in his statement.
Quote:
I will continue to stand on the side of those defending life for all Americans, including those with disabilities.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/03/20050321.html

Does 'all' mean something different to you? Or perhaps you think convicted felons are not Americans. Bush's statement makes no exceptions that I can see.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 10:11 am
Finn,
The interesting part of your argument is when it comes to life we need to balance the cost vs the benefit. I agree with you on that point. I would bet that Drew does as well. But that is not the point of this thread. This thread is about the hypocrisy of believing what you and I do and then claiming that our belief is a "culture of life" that defends all life.

An attempt to defend most life where possible is just a cost/benefit analysis that can lead to some disagreements over who is worth saving. Terri Schiavo is an example of that disagreement. It is not an attempt to save all life no matter the cost. It is hypocritical to change the argument into a claim that we need to save every life to win the disagreement over one life. What makes it more hypocritical is when there is evidence of those claiming "we have to save every life" have not tried to do that in the past.

My personal opinion is we should try to save every life but the reality is we can't. Life is made up of several things. One of which is freedom to choose things about our life. Are we really living when all decisions are dictated to us? But that is another philisophical question.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 10:50 am
candidone,
You said..."Well, you either cherish and value human life, or you don't.
As per this thead, I simply illustrated a certain degree of hypocrisy (is that right DL?) that exists with the current administration's culture of life philosophy.
Not too sure where I got illogical. We are talking of the hypocrisy of said philosophy--which looks inconsistent if you examine some of the language Bush uses when he speaks of it.

Like I said, you either value life, or you don't."

I value human life,and I assume you do too.
So,lets abolish ALL motorized vehicles,that would save thousands of lives each year.
That means no cars,buses,trains,ships,trucks,or airplanes.
Lets outlaw electricity,that will prevent hundreds of electrocution deaths each year.
Hot water is also a killer.There are many deaths every year due to scalding.
Of course,many people drown every year,so that means water must be abolished also.

Since fire also kills,lets abolish any and all use of fire.That means for cooking,warmth,light,everything.

Since you value life,are you in agreement with me so far?
You must be,or you are also a hypocrite for allowing these things tocontinue,knowing that they kill people.

My point is that EVERYTHING humans do in their daily life can kill,so either we abolish and outlaw EVERYTHING,or we accept the risks associated with everyday life.

For you to claim that those who value life are hypocrites is wrong,unless you include yourself in that category also.
Unless,you DONT value human life.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 10:54 am
parados,you just made a completely illogical statement.
You said..."It would have been FASTER to have the legislation flown to him if speed was the issue of greatest importance."

That is not true,and its illogical.
Are you saying a plane flies faster going east to west then it does going west to east?

Also,by flying to Washington,Bush was there and signed the bill within 30 minutes of it being passed.If he waited till it was flown to him in Texas,it would have been several hours before he could sign it.
Remember,the WH is only a few blocks from capitol hill,as compared to about 2000 miles from capitol hill to Texas.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 10:55 am
Some lives do seem to have more value than others. Or so these folks are thinking

Quote:
"He does not have any problems flying in to restore the feeding tube to Terri Schiavo. I'm sure if this happened in some school in Texas and a bunch of white kids were shot down, he would have been there too," Bellecourt said.

reuters link
0 Replies