Why we are not perfect

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 11:36 am
neologist wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
neologist wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
Hephzibah, as you read The Epic of Gilgamesh, can you get pen and paper and write down the references that are in the text, that are very familiar to you prior to reading the story?
And your proof that the Gilgamesh story predates the Noachian deluge is?

The actual rock tablets with the entire story of The Epic of Gilgamesh carved on them (not quite complete. some words have been missing due to aging); And many more ancient documents found throughout the years.
OK, and I have a hamster who can whistle Dixie.

Good for you...and the hamster!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 11:39 am
Thank you. But you have failed to demonstrate how your 'rock tablets' prove the date of the Gilgamesh epic.

Just about the same as my proof of the hamster.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 11:54 am
neologist wrote:
Thank you. But you have failed to demonstrate how your 'rock tablets' prove the date of the Gilgamesh epic.

Just about the same as my proof of the hamster.

Oh, no , no, no. I'm not trying to prove anything, neologist. The physical evidence is there. I can't produce you with the tablets, no. That is impossible. But if you want a picture of one of the tablets, go to this address:

http://www.aina.org/books/eog/eog.pdf

PS: go to page 20. You will see a nice picture of one of the tablets there.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 03:04 pm
You have contended that the Gilgamesh epic predates the flood of Noah's day. I assert that the two accounts are of the same event and the biblical account is correct.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 03:18 pm
neologist wrote:
You have contended that the Gilgamesh epic predates the flood of Noah's day. I assert that the two accounts are of the same event and the biblical account is correct.

I welcome you to read The Epic of Gilgamesh, neologist. And then you compare it with Noah's story. You be the judge of that.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 06:23 pm
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
neologist wrote:

I welcome you to read The Epic of Gilgamesh, neologist. And then you compare it with Noah's story. You be the judge of that.
I'm not able to read it all. My mind begins revolting when subjected to polytheistic drivel. Sorry to offend any who worship Anu and Ishtar.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 06:53 pm
neologist wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
neologist wrote:

I'm not able to read it all. My mind begins revolting when subjected to polytheistic drivel. Sorry to offend any who worship Anu and Ishtar.

Just imagine yourself that you're reading a very interesting novel, neologist.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 07:15 pm
The DaVinci Code was interesting.

Beyond that, why should I read something which fails to make your point?
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:12 pm
neologist wrote:
The DaVinci Code was interesting. ?

Yeah. It was quite the detective work.

neologist wrote:
Beyond that, why should I read something which fails to make your point?

Just don't read it. Nothing to it. You asked me for proof; I gave you proof. If you don't want to sacrifice some of your time to read 24 pages of ancient mythology, it is your decision, neologist. But don't come here and tell me that I have failed to make a point if you're not even interested in reading at least ten pages of the damn thing. What seems to be the problem? It shouldn't be reading comprehension. The Epic of Gilgamesh has the same wording as the Bible, and I believe that you have read more than 24 pages of such horse crap. Could it be that because the book (Gilgamesh's) doesn't refer to your god (and includes numerous gods), you refuse to read it? It is most likely. Or is it that you are afraid that you will be able to find those references yourself, that would link the Bible with Gilgamesh's story, and therefore, putting you and your belief in ridicule? Or is it that you are so afraid of your god that you won't allow yourself to continue reading it? Pick one.

If you want to continue avoiding the obvious, be my guest. But don't expect any sympathy from me towards you, when it comes to you ignoring [without even analyze] what I present to you.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:18 pm
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
why don't you provide quotes that affirm that my analysis of the Bible is right?

Jason,

Why don't you provide quotes from the Epic of Gilgamesh to prove Neo's point that it's bunk?

Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:39 pm
real life wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
why don't you provide quotes that affirm that my analysis of the Bible is right?

Jason,

Why don't you provide quotes from the Epic of Gilgamesh to prove Neo's point that it's bunk?

Laughing Laughing

Why in the name of the sane did you include that quote? Are you trying to make a point?

Why would I include quotes from the The Epic of Gilgamesh if he hasn't even read the damn story? How is he going to know if the quotes are real or not? What point would those quotes make if he would not believe me either way?

Read the lines, real, because you have surpassed your own insanity.The only purpose in which people debate verses from the Bible is simply because they at least have read the book. If your demented friend (molded in your own image) read the 24 pages I require him to read, and then refuses to acknowledge the obvious, then I would provide him with the quotes. But he won't respond to reason, just like you. :wink:
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 09:10 pm
You may have skimmed the Bible, but you probably haven't read but a few portions of it thoroughly; and you certainly don't know it well.

As for you professed familiarly with Gilgamesh, you still have not been able to answer how many original complete copies of the Epic exist and how well do they agree with one another?

-----------

Jason Proudmoore wrote:
If your ... friend (molded in your own image) read the 24 pages I require him to read.....But he won't respond to reason, just like you

You 'require' him to read.

Laughing Laughing

(BTW He ain't moldy, he's my brother.)

He'll respond to reason if you give him some.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 10:01 pm
real life wrote:
You may have skimmed the Bible, but you probably haven't read but a few portions of it thoroughly; and you certainly don't know it well.

HMMM, interesting. Are you aware of the meaningless showers of garbage that you keep producing with your fingers, real? According to you, what is it that you might know that I need to know about the Bible? Enlighten me.

real life wrote:
As for you professed familiarly with Gilgamesh, you still have not been able to answer how many original complete copies of the Epic exist and how well do they agree with one another?

Since you won't stop with the ridiculous, repetitive question that has nothing to do with the argument at hand, I will ask you to answer me these first:

"And do you think your 2-year old should've been kicked out of your house when he first ate the cookies you told him not to eat, while you weren't looking? Did you acknowledge that he didn't perceive the concept of obedience like a person who would distinguish right from wrong?

It is extremely obvious that your impulsive dementia won't allow you to control that part of your brain that is capable to stop your fingers from typing more repetitive and absurd questions that have nothing to do with the subject. But then again, I always expect that from you. You are very predictable (and delusional).

Jason Proudmoore wrote:
If your ... friend (molded in your own image) read the 24 pages I require him to read.....But he won't respond to reason, just like you

real life wrote:
You 'require' him to read.

Laughing Laughing

If you were able to read what I posted, that's exactly what I meant.

real life wrote:

I suspected that you two were related. What could've made me think of that…?

real life wrote:
He'll respond to reason if you give him some.

Ooookkkk… Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 10:10 pm
Jason, I've been reading off and on all day. I've only managed to get to page eight. I printed off everything through the forest journey and have been highlighting things as I go along. I'll have to post those later though because I'm at work right now. My mind is a little perplexed by this. It is a very strange story to me. I see similarities I think you are talking about, yet I fail to see their relevance at this point. I do have a couple of questions though. These tablets you talk about on page 20, where did they come from? Who found them? How were they dated? (Meaning how do we know how old they are) Do you believe this myth?
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 11:08 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Jason, I've been reading off and on all day. I've only managed to get to page eight. I printed off everything through the forest journey and have been highlighting things as I go along.

Good. That's how a research is done.

hephzibah wrote:
My mind is a little perplexed by this.

I understand what you mean. It's just a story, don't stress yourself over it.

hephzibah wrote:
It is a very strange story to me. I see similarities I think you are talking about, yet I fail to see their relevance at this point.

Wait until you get to the Great Flood.
Mind you, this is only one story. You still haven't read the Egyptian History of Creation (4th century B.C), The Babylonian Emuma Elish EPIC OF CREATION (2nd millennium B.C through 1st millennium B.C), or Isis and Osiris, many of Homer's work, and many more…well, if you want to see what I see, that is.

PS: I hope that you don't ask me where and how the Egyptian documents to these stories were found. I think it is obvious, no?

hephzibah wrote:
I do have a couple of questions though. These tablets you talk about on page 20, where did they come from? Who found them?

I think some of your questions will be answered here.

http://fajardo-acosta.com/worldlit/gilgamesh/

hephzibah wrote:
How were they dated? (Meaning how do we know how old they are)

The same way they measure the age of any other document or piece of material…through Carbon 14 Dating, which is used to determine age of "ancient, organic, geologic, or archaeological specimens."

hephzibah wrote:
Do you believe this myth?

If I believe that the story was written that long ago, or if I think that such story was veridical? Yes, why not? I think that it is the date of the tablets. And Nooooo…I think that the guy existed, but he just wanted to be famous by including himself in all his mythological stories. That's all.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 11:13 pm
MJB919, who told you you were not perfect. I have no doubt that you are perfectly what you are.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 11:51 pm
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
real life wrote:

....what is it that you might know that I need to know about the Bible?..........

Well, a thorough familiarity with all of the Bible, instead of snippets selected by your lit teacher might cure you of many of your more prominent errors.

The Bible is a complex document -- 66 separate books, penned by about 40 different authors on three continents over the course of 1500 years during the rise and fall of at least 5 major empires that have a direct bearing on the events, written in 2 main languages with scattered texts in others.

A prudent person would have to admit that a casual reading will not fully acquaint you with the outline, much less give you in depth comprehension of the themes, styles, events and major and minor characters presented therein.

After you have carefully read the entirety a number of times, you will begin to get a handle on it. Taking notes and reading supplemental commentaries and reference materials related to it will also prove useful in understanding the political climates of the various times, the geography, customs and traditions that were well known to the writers; and which they sometimes don't explain because they took for granted that their readers would be familiar with.

Tell the truth now, in front of God and everyone -- have you even read it through once?

Jason Proudmoore wrote:
real life wrote:

I suspected that you two were related. What could've made me think of that…?

I suspect that you are too young to know what this means. Laughing
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 11:57 pm
Quote:
Wait until you get to the Great Flood.
Mind you, this is only one story. You still haven't read the Egyptian History of Creation (4th century B.C), The Babylonian Emuma Elish EPIC OF CREATION (2nd millennium B.C through 1st millennium B.C), or Isis and Osiris, many of Homer's work, and many more…well, if you want to see what I see, that is.

PS: I hope that you don't ask me where and how the Egyptian documents to these stories were found. I think it is obvious, no?

Shocked Ummm... whoa...

LOL, not stressing, it's just a bit confusing is all. It's kind of how I felt reading the bible for the first time... STRANGE names, STRANGE places, STRANGE ideas... what the heck??? Though it is definitely interesting...

Quote:
The same way they measure the age of any other document or piece of material…through Carbon 14 Dating, which is used to determine age of "ancient, organic, geologic, or archaeological specimens."

I thought so. We won't go down that road just yet... Very Happy

Quote:
If I believe that the story was written that long ago, or if I think that such story was veridical? Yes, why not? I think that it is the date of the tablets. And Nooooo…I think that the guy existed, but he just wanted to be famous by including himself in all his mythological stories. That's all.

Don't we all want that?

oh...

wait...

did I say that out loud?

Kidding... only kidding...

So anyway, what I find most intriguing about this is that as I'm reading it just little bits and pieces of things in the bible are popping in my head here and there. I'll have to share them with ya tomorrow. My 11 hr day at work pretty much did me in for the night. Plus... a little suspense is always fun! Bwaaaaaaaaa hahaha!
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 12:07 am
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
I do have a couple of questions though. These tablets you talk about on page 20, where did they come from? Who found them? ......How were they dated? (Meaning how do we know how old they are)

The same way they measure the age of any other document or piece of material…through Carbon 14 Dating, which is used to determine age of "ancient, organic, geologic, or archaeological specimens."...

Carbon 14 dating is used to date objects of biological origin. Were the tablets living at some point in time, Jason?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 01:21 am
What is perfect?

Please define.

Is anything perfect?
0 Replies