Why we are not perfect

real life

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 11:00 pm
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
real life wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:

Uh, Mr English Professor, perhaps you should look first to your own manner of speaking......

Quote:
Good morning kids?

This is probably not a question.

Quote:
The young students begin to cheer and applause

I think you mean applaud.

Quote:
While the professor waves his hand up and down vertically

This is redundant.

Quote:
signaling the children to end their uncontrollable excitement

If it's uncontrollable, how are they going to end it?

Quote:
stare in fascination at the professor's hand writing

'Handwriting' is generally one word, not two.

And I could go on.......

Altogether pretty funny for a lesson entitled "How to Express Oneself Coherently in English". Laughing Laughing

You are learning to point out inconsistencies in the English language, Curly. But the thing is...that you can't connect it to the actual discussion.

Not pointing out inconsistencies in the language, Professor. Just in your usage (or misuse) of it. Laughing

Now, more to the point, since you were pontificating on Gilgamesh, I expect you have now taken the time to google for the answer as to how many existing, complete copies there are and how they differ from one another. Or perhaps you called a real professor to ask. Laughing

The literary evidence of the Gilgamesh story is sparse indeed compared to the Bible. Any unbiased observer would agree.

Now if you take the time to actually acquaint yourself with the contents of the Bible instead of relying on snippets gleaned from your lit teacher who didn't read the whole thing either (ask him. He may admit it.); and second hand summaries from websites like "101 Reasons Not to Believe the Bible"; then perhaps you'll be able to frame a more cogent argument.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 11:05 pm
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
. . . blah, blah and more blah. . .
So what? What is your point? Why explain the obvious?
This is not just a straw man, is a harlequin in steroids. . . .What the hell did you just say? Weak up!! Every culture in the world is unique. What in Jove's name is your point?
Don't get your shorts in a bunch, kiddo. This is just a forum, you know? Do you really want me to weak up? You must have read my profile. Sorry, can't do it.
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
So, the accounts of the Bible don't include magic?
Right.
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
(1)You have neglected to read the story that I suggested because of religious excuses and some lack of reading comprehension skills.
I'll match IQ and education against you any day, and arm wrestle you to boot. I pointed out the flaws. How much more should I read? If someone hocked a loogie on your lasagna, would you continue to eat it? By your logic, you would eat the whole thing and not complain until you puked your guts out.
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
(2)You constantly keep referring to "fail to see, fail to make, fail to prove" crap, like I'm trying to convince anybody about anything.
If you are not trying to convince anybody about anything why do you say you have made your point? Furthermore, why bother posting at all?
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
(3) And you keep providing (just like your partner Curly) incoherent explanations that do not establish anything rational.
No one has a greater command of incoherence than you, my ingenuous young friend.
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
So, are you still clueless about the point that I'm trying to make here?
Actually, yes. I already asked you to restate it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 11:08 pm
This would be a whole lot more fun if Frank and C.I. were here.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 11:20 pm
hephzibah wrote:

I'm not wasting time Jason. I'm learning. I have never hidden the fact that I haven't studied much beyond the bible. That has been my choice and it is not one I regret. However, I am willing to look at other things. I am interested in why people believe what they believe. Sue me if that is wrong. Once again, I'll put the ball in your court. If you would like to discontinue this discussion, no harm no foul. Smile

Hephzibah, at the beginning of this research, we had an agreement. The agreement was that you were going to consider the specifics, without any nonsense from your part; and as soon as I perceived any incoherent statement from you, I would try to slap you silly back to reality…because I wanted to keep this research as logical as possible. And you failed to hold such agreement. You were not even able to finish the story nor considered to read the other stories that I have suggested to you (before your previous post), so you could actually present a well organized, well accomplished historical research. You only had one source, Hephzibah. You asked, at the beginning of our agreement, when to begin with the research. And I provided you with the material. And to my surprise, the next day I encountered a post, comparing The Epic with passages from The Bible. I like what you did, really (and I was impressed.) But you failed to reserve your incoherency and began posting theories, with no evidence that supported them at all, while the work suffered from lack of completion. I have never asked you to consider the specifics and renounce your religion. I'm not like that. I'm just here providing something different to you, something that you never done in your life. But frankly… are you here to learn or contribute with the every-day garbage that is continuously being posted on this forum? If you cannot see what I am trying to tell you here, then I think that you are not so different than Moe and Curly. And because of that, it is a waste of time. :wink:
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 11:28 pm
Actually JP is just as entertaining, IMO.

Weak up, Neo and wave your arm up and down vertically. (It's good for the circulation. You'll feel better, I promise.) Laughing
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 11:59 pm
real life wrote:

Not pointing out inconsistencies in the language, Professor. Just in your usage (or misuse) of it. Laughing

There is more sense in that particular post than anything you have posted so far.
And you rely too much on my previous poor editing mistake in order to prove a meaningless point. You don't see me pointing out your misuse of punctuation and grammar errors. I see them, but I choose not to attack you with them. But think about it, what would be the point in that besides point out your delusion?

real life wrote:
Now, more to the point, since you were pontificating on Gilgamesh, I expect you have now taken the time to google for the answer as to how many existing, complete copies there are and how they differ from one another. Or perhaps you called a real professor to ask. Laughing

You were talking about Gilgamesh's Epic all alone? I thought you meant how many copies of Roman, Greek, Egyptian, Babylonian, and Hebrews ancient stories were actually out there and how many copies differ from one another. Can you, next time, be specific?( I almost forgot who I was talking to).

There are three different copies of The Epic. And there are differences in the wording, and the meanings of each passage is left intact.. just like there are different copies of the Bible out there…happy, poppy?

Now that I have answered your question, can you answer me this one?

"And do you think your 2-year old should've been kicked out of your house when he first ate the cookies you told him not to eat, while you weren't looking? Did you acknowledge that he didn't perceive the concept of obedience like a person who would distinguish right from wrong?"

And try not to Google it. Probably you have.

real life wrote:
The literary evidence of the Gilgamesh story is sparse indeed compared to the Bible. Any unbiased observer would agree.

Have you read The Epic, delusional zealot?

real life wrote:
Now if you take the time to actually acquaint yourself with the contents of the Bible instead of relying on snippets gleaned from your lit teacher who didn't read the whole thing either (ask him. He may admit it.); and second hand summaries from websites like "101 Reasons Not to Believe the Bible"; then perhaps you'll be able to frame a more cogent argument.

There is nothing coherent about the Bible, believe me…just like there is nothing coherent about this paragraph of yours. Take it from a former Christian.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 12:46 am
Jason,

Quote:
Hephzibah, at the beginning of this research, we had an agreement. The agreement was that you were going to consider the specifics, without any nonsense from your part; and as soon as I perceived any incoherent statement from you, I would try to slap you silly back to reality…because I wanted to keep this research as logical as possible.

Ok. Fair enough. Honestly speaking so far I don't see a whole lot of logic here. Granted I haven't read too far and at no point have I stated that I'm going to stop and leave things as is. I was merely making an observation from my point of view and stating how I felt.

Quote:
And you failed to hold such agreement. You were not even able to finish the story nor considered to read the other stories that I have suggested to you (before your previous post), so you could actually present a well organized, well accomplished historical research. You only had one source, Hephzibah.

Hey now... take it easy on me here. I'm doing the best I can. Honest. Put yourself in my shoes for a minute. Pretend it was me instead proposing all my sources to you and think about how easy it would be for you to keep your mouth shut knowing how you feel about the bible. Ask yourself, "Would I even put myself in a position to hear what she has to say about it?" You don't have to answer that to me. Just ask yourself and give yourself an honest answer, and please give me a least a little credit here for trying to understand your position.

Quote:
You asked, at the beginning of our agreement, when to begin with the research. And I provided you with the material. And to my surprise, the next day I encountered a post, comparing The Epic with passages from The Bible. I like what you did, really (and I was impressed.) But you failed to reserve your incoherency and began posting theories, with no evidence that supported them at all, while the work suffered from lack of completion.

Jason, I have proposed no theory here. In order to do that I would have had to analyze everything you are presenting as facts. I have not done that as of yet. Though I understand now why it sounded like I was. I definitely could have worded that better. I apologize. I was stating my opinion based on what I had read so far. Whether I had stated it openly or not, it would still be my opinion at this point. However, we're not very far along in this yet are we? :wink:

Quote:
I have never asked you to consider the specifics and renounce your religion. I'm not like that. I'm just here providing something different to you, something that you never done in your life. But frankly… are you here to learn or contribute with the every-day garbage that is continuously being posted on this forum?

LOL I know you haven't Jason and I appreciate that. I am here to learn and to contribute. Now... whether you choose to see my contributions here as garbage or valuable is only up to you. I can't change that. Nor will I try. I am not ashamed of what I believe. I will share honestly no matter what the question is. If someone comes here asking for some kind of specific help from the bible, or a "christian" perspective I will answer them honestly out of what I personally know. But I won't chase people down and beat them over the head with my bible. If I come across something like this that interests me I'll do my best to look at it from a different perspective than what I am use to. I will do my best to hear what the other person is saying and evaluate that according to my perception. That is all I have to offer.

Quote:
If you cannot see what I am trying to tell you here, then I think that you are not so different than Moe and Curly. And because of that, it is a waste of time. :wink:

Do whatever you feel is best with this Jason. If you feel this is wasting your time, well... I wouldn't want to do that so I'll bow out. If you are willing to show a little patience though I would like to continue with our conversation. Making it clear that there will probably be times I'm not going to be able to withhold my opinion... LOL Gotta keep ya on your toes ya know...
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 01:51 am
real life wrote:
Actually JP is just as entertaining, IMO.

Weak up, Neo and wave your arm up and down vertically. (It's good for the circulation. You'll feel better, I promise.) Laughing
Waving. . .

Should I rack the dumbells now? Or turn them loose?

http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/weight.gif
0 Replies