Ending Qualified Immunity for Cops

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2019 09:05 am
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2019 10:35 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

It seems our rabid supporter of murdering police officers is reading right wing propraganda, with his facts screwed up:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2019/01/28/houston-police-shooting-multiple-officers-struck-gunfire/2706289002/

There were uniformed officers there, as well as narcotics officers. And they came under fire immediately on entering - not after they entered, but as they entered. They also used a siren to announce their entry.

Quote:
Suspects opened fire as soon as officers breached the door at a residence in southeast Houston, Police Chief Art Acevedo said at an
evening press conference. Two suspects died at the scene from police gunfire, but Acevedo said police do not know how many suspects shot at police.

About a dozen narcotics officers and six patrol officers, Acevedo said, were at the scene to serve the warrant and provide support to investigate the sale of black tar heroin. Officers breached the front door just before 5 p.m. local time while announcing themselves and hitting the siren and lights on a patrol car.

I believe our police chief is a good dedicated man. Since this case drew so much notoriety, he has helped blow the lid off concerning bad police work. At least one cop is going to jail and they are reviewing about 1400 cases related to the man's work. I read about one case in which a woman already has been released from jail.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2019 12:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think Acevedo is going to do his best to clean house and insure this doesn't happen again. His ass has been out in the wind on this.
So far, he has ended no knock raids and will be demanding cameras on all raids.
Kind of late for all this though I think it will make the citizens on Houston safer from getting killed by cops.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2019 02:38 pm
@McGentrix,
I haven't looked into how long this stuff has gone on, but I am pretty certain it was well established before he took over. There is a local politician that's running for mayor calling for his dismissal. I consider that a major mistake.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2019 04:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I believe our police chief is a good dedicated man. Since this case drew so much notoriety, he has helped blow the lid off concerning bad police work. At least one cop is going to jail and they are reviewing about 1400 cases related to the man's work. I read about one case in which a woman already has been released from jail.
This sort of thing will hopefully result in improvement from what is a bad situation.

In any event, illegal activity on the part of police officers, particularly those that result in death need to be severely punished.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2019 01:07 am

Oh boy, the Feds are involved now.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2019 12:25 pm
@McGentrix,
There has been some serious crimes committed here, resulting in deaths and other bad consequences.
McGentrix

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2019 02:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah, that whole case stinks to high heaven.

Problem is though, every Narcotics division in every city with a population size large enough enough to have a Narcotics division is probably doing the same thing. It will be interesting to see if this has any nation wide implications.

All the war on drugs has done is fill our prisons full of poor people.
Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2019 02:55 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
All the war on drugs has done is fill our prisons full of poor people.

This is an important truth.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2019 05:58 am
Tennessee Police Officers Could Be Charged With A Felony For Turning Off Body Cams In Bad Faith
0 Replies