Ending Qualified Immunity for Cops

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2019 09:05 am
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2019 10:35 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

It seems our rabid supporter of murdering police officers is reading right wing propraganda, with his facts screwed up:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2019/01/28/houston-police-shooting-multiple-officers-struck-gunfire/2706289002/

There were uniformed officers there, as well as narcotics officers. And they came under fire immediately on entering - not after they entered, but as they entered. They also used a siren to announce their entry.

Quote:
Suspects opened fire as soon as officers breached the door at a residence in southeast Houston, Police Chief Art Acevedo said at an
evening press conference. Two suspects died at the scene from police gunfire, but Acevedo said police do not know how many suspects shot at police.

About a dozen narcotics officers and six patrol officers, Acevedo said, were at the scene to serve the warrant and provide support to investigate the sale of black tar heroin. Officers breached the front door just before 5 p.m. local time while announcing themselves and hitting the siren and lights on a patrol car.

I believe our police chief is a good dedicated man. Since this case drew so much notoriety, he has helped blow the lid off concerning bad police work. At least one cop is going to jail and they are reviewing about 1400 cases related to the man's work. I read about one case in which a woman already has been released from jail.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2019 12:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think Acevedo is going to do his best to clean house and insure this doesn't happen again. His ass has been out in the wind on this.
So far, he has ended no knock raids and will be demanding cameras on all raids.
Kind of late for all this though I think it will make the citizens on Houston safer from getting killed by cops.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2019 02:38 pm
@McGentrix,
I haven't looked into how long this stuff has gone on, but I am pretty certain it was well established before he took over. There is a local politician that's running for mayor calling for his dismissal. I consider that a major mistake.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2019 04:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I believe our police chief is a good dedicated man. Since this case drew so much notoriety, he has helped blow the lid off concerning bad police work. At least one cop is going to jail and they are reviewing about 1400 cases related to the man's work. I read about one case in which a woman already has been released from jail.
This sort of thing will hopefully result in improvement from what is a bad situation.

In any event, illegal activity on the part of police officers, particularly those that result in death need to be severely punished.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2019 01:07 am

Oh boy, the Feds are involved now.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2019 12:25 pm
@McGentrix,
There has been some serious crimes committed here, resulting in deaths and other bad consequences.
McGentrix

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2019 02:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah, that whole case stinks to high heaven.

Problem is though, every Narcotics division in every city with a population size large enough enough to have a Narcotics division is probably doing the same thing. It will be interesting to see if this has any nation wide implications.

All the war on drugs has done is fill our prisons full of poor people.
Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2019 02:55 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
All the war on drugs has done is fill our prisons full of poor people.

This is an important truth.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2019 05:58 am
Tennessee Police Officers Could Be Charged With A Felony For Turning Off Body Cams In Bad Faith
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 10:09 am
Before watching the video in the next post, please read this account of what you are going to see in the video;

2 Arrested After Confrontation With Sonoma County Sheriff’s Deputies
Quote:
GRATON (CBS SF) — A Graton man was arrested for apparently violating his parole and resisting arrest after a confrontation with Sonoma County sheriff’s deputies Saturday, sheriff’s officials said Monday.

Jason Anglero-Wyrick, 35, and a woman allegedly made threats to a resident in the 8500 block of Trenton Road in Forestville. The resident who reported the incident said the suspects returned around 4:40 p.m., pointed a gun at the caller and drove away, according to the sheriff’s office.

Deputies got a description of the suspects, their pickup and the male suspect’s identity. They learned that Anglero-Wyrick apparently has a history of violent felonies and is on parole for an assault with a deadly weapon, sheriff’s officials said.

A pickup matching the description of the one used by the suspects was found about 20 minutes later by deputies at Anglero-Wyrick’s home in the 8900 block of Graton Road.

Anglero-Wyrick’s family was uncooperative and said he was inside sleeping. More deputies and the California Highway Patrol responded to close nearby streets, according to sheriff’s officials.

Anglero-Wyrick and a woman later identified as Naustachia Green, 35, of Graton, came outside. They allegedly yelled expletives at the deputies and refuse the deputies’ commands continually.

Anglero-Wyrick pushed Green aside, took several steps toward the deputies and continued yelling as two more people came out of the home, sheriff’s officials said.

Deputies grabbed Green and pulled her away from Anglero-Wyrick who allegedly headed toward the house. A sheriff’s office K-9 bit Anglero-Wyrick on the right leg and Anglero-Wyrick was handcuffed after an apparent struggle. Emergency personnel immediately were brought to treat him, according to sheriff’s officials.

Green allegedly fought the deputies, tried to escape and refused to be handcuffed. She was placed in a patrol car where she apparently continued yelling and resisting, sheriff’s officials said. Deputies searched Anglero-Wyrick’s house and car and did not find a gun.

Anglero-Wyrick was arrested on suspicion of felony violation of parole and resisting arrest. He was treated at a hospital and later posted $5,000 bail.

Green was arrested for misdemeanor battery on a police officer and resisting arrest. She was booked and released on a citation to appear in court.

The victims of the Forestville incident became uncooperative so deputies did not arrest Anglero-Wyrick for threats and brandishing a gun in that incident, according to sheriff’s officials.
McGentrix

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 10:10 am
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 10:35 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Before watching the video in the next post, please read this account of what you are going to see in the video;

The linked report below provides additional context
Sonoma County Sheriff releases new footage of Graton man’s arrest

Interested the background: People v. Anglero-Wyrick
COURT OF APPEAL OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA FIRST APPELLATE DISTRICT DIVISION TWO wrote:
As the trial court observed, apparently correctly, appellant can be "two different people," "polite to everyone" in court but much different outside of court, even in jail. And as the probation department's extended and thorough report concluded, "the egregiousness of the defendant's current matters, his apparent gang entrenchment, and his violent history are too overwhelming to overcome. [Appellant] has repeatedly demonstrated his propensity for arming himself with weapons, fleeing law enforcement, resisting arrest, and violently assaulting others, among other behaviors."
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 09:39 am
Should we discuss George Floyd here? So far, the 4 officers appear to be on their way to facing the results of their actions. A nationwide and more likely a world wide wave of protest of Police actions have resulted from his death. Another black man dead due to the overt indifference from negligent police officers.

I hope they see jail time and future situations are avoided as a result.
oralloy

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 09:42 am
@McGentrix,
I can see how the one officer is guilty of third degree murder.

I don't see much basis for second degree murder or for charging the other three.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 10:04 am
@McGentrix,
I posted this in another thread, but it goes well here.

Unanimous court decision refuses qualified immunity to police who surrounded a man laying motionless on the ground and shot him 22 times.

Quote:
A federal appeals court on Tuesday invoked the recent death of George Floyd in Minneapolis in denying legal immunity to five cops in West Virginia who were sued for shooting a Black man 22 times while he lay motionless on the ground.

Judge Henry Floyd of the US Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit wrote on behalf of a unanimous three-judge panel that to dismiss the case against officers who shot and killed Wayne Jones in 2013 "would signal absolute immunity for fear-based use of deadly force, which we cannot accept."
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 10:21 am
We can improve policing by scrapping the accepted model and responding to data . There are excellent methods of responding to the community’s emergencies that look a lot different than usual. The days of multiple armed cops driving around in the same neighborhoods must end, IMO.

This guy, Malcolm Gladwell, is a meticulous researcher who approaches issues from a logical standpoint. This clip explains in detail the cop killing of Amadou Diallo and gives insight into what causes these horrible killings.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 04:00 am
House of Representatives passes H.R. 7120
https://apnews.com/49d9ec00012713177138c1097ee3821d
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 06:08 am
Shaun King has been given access to an online conversation by current and former cops planning to kill him.

He’s made it public, some of the cops have been identified and reportedly fired.

They said he’d be #6 which makes them seem connected to the 5 unsolved hangings of black men in the wake of the Floyd murder.

I’m concerned that the bad cops might far outnumber the good.

Qualified immunity has probably played a pivotal role.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 06:21 am
From my hometown, three police officers were caught by their in car recording system talking about how they were looking forward to shooting black people.

Quote:
In a phone conversation about half an hour later between Piner and another officer, a discussion about an arrest from the previous day becomes a graphic conversation about preparing for violence against Black people, according to the investigation.

During the call, Moore used the words "n*****" and "negro" to talk about a woman he arrested. When discussing the arrest, Moore also said "she needed a bullet in her head right then" and complained about an officer who discouraged him from breaking the window of her car.

Moore also referred to a magistrate, who is Black, as a "negro magistrate."

Later on in the conversation, Piner said he's "ready" for a civil war. According to investigators, Piner said, using the n-word, that "we are just gonna go out and start slaughtering them."

"God I can't wait," Piner is reported to have said.

Piner also said, according to investigators, that he plans to buy an assault rifle and that society needed a civil war to "put 'em back about four or five generations."

Former officers did not deny making the remarks on the recording

According to the department, Piner, Gilmore and Moore confirmed it was their voices captured on video and they did not deny the remarks.

In interviews with investigators, all three of them said they were venting, citing what they called the current climate for police. They also denied being racist. Moore also said his comments were recorded when he was off-duty, calling Piner from his home.

I love that they did not deny the remarks but deny being racists. I would like to believe that these guys are not representative of the Wilmington Police Department. I have had nothing but positive interactions with them - but I am white.

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/06/25/883358818/wilmington-n-c-police-fires-three-officers-over-racist-comments-caught-on-tape