John Belushi SNL Skit

Seizan

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2018 04:00 pm
Many years ago I saw an SNL skit with John Belushi (I believe it was he) who played the part of a man in an (apparently) Iron Curtain nation (he was faking a Russian-style accent). The scene was a cellar or a dark, quiet room, and he was taking an English lesson. Apparently (by the manner of the two people -- Belushi and the "teacher"), learning English was a forbidden practice and they were very cautious about this meeting.

They practiced a few lines in English, then the teacher said "Arrgh..." and slumped over, maybe from a heart attack.

Belushi looked a bit puzzled, since they were in the middle of a lesson, then repeated "Arrgh..." and slumped likewise...

I see many really great Belushi clips on YouTube but I can't find that one. Am I wrong -- was the actor someone other than Belushi? Does anyone know where I can see that clip?

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2018 05:17 pm
@Seizan,

i googled john belushi russian skit and got lots of hits...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2018 05:49 pm
@Seizan,
was it wolverine? it was the very first snl sketch - ends with a collapse
Seizan

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2018 06:14 pm
@ehBeth,
That's the one! But I can't find it. It was the "cold opening" to the very first episode of Season 1 back (I think) in 1974.

Can't seem to locate it on YT though there are many Belushi skits there...
0 Replies

Seizan

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2018 06:24 pm
@ehBeth,
Ah -- that was the NAME of the skit! I found it, many thanks! I have been wondering about that one for years, haven't seen it since that one live performance.

I wanted to show it to my English class in the Okinawan middle school where I teach English...

:-)

Thanks again!
ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2018 05:22 pm
@Seizan,
Glad you found it - I haven't mastered adding links by way of the tablet yet.
Seizan

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2018 03:08 pm
@ehBeth,
This week I am showing it as part of my weekly PowerPoint presentation at the beginning of the English class in my Japanese middle school. I get to each class in the school once per week as a guest English teacher making it a full-time job attending each of 6 classes for 7th, 8th, and 9th grade. I introduce day, date, and weather, then a series of 15 to 25 slides interspersed with short (funny) video clips found on Reddit or YouTube. I add add music or dialogue to the silent clips. Of course, they are all edited for "appropriate content" for Japanese middle school kids (and any visiting officials from the Board of Education).

The students (and the teachers) really enjoy these little breaks from the serious English class syllabus, and they look forward to the weekly show.

This week's theme is "What do you want to be in the future?" I have 15- to 30-second humorous clips for airline attendant, pilot, police officer, post office worker, HS teacher, and of course, English teacher. Before the Belushi clip, I explain what wolverines and badgers are (with a few photos).

I added Japanese subtitles to the Belushi clip.

They REALLY loved the hilarious Wolverines clip!

Many thanks for helping me find that!
izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2018 03:54 pm
I've heard how the French use Monty Python to teach English, they need to explain terms like Mrs Volestrangler.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2018 04:11 pm
@Seizan,
Sounds like a great English class. So glad your students enjoyed. Belushi was one of the greats.
0 Replies