Sukkot

gollum

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2018 08:20 am
I though that when a sukkah is constructed, that it have an entrance so that people can eat or even sleep inside it.

I saw a sukkah today that appears closed from all four sides.

Is that proper?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 907 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2018 11:55 am
@gollum,
Quote:
...appears closed from all four sides.

The key here is what it appeared to be. It may have an entry point; which, was not immediately visible to viewer.

If the sukkah has no actual physical entrance, I would figure it was for appearance and nothing else. I'd consult with a rabbi to learn if this is proper or not.

Perhaps it was done (if indeed completely closed) due to worry of some sort of criminal intent from persons in the area.
gollum

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2018 02:21 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis-

Thank you.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2018 09:06 am
@gollum,
No, it is not.

Details on how Sukkot are built are available by Googling "How to Build Sukkot"
gollum

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2018 06:14 am
@Ragman,
Ragman-

Thank you.
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2021 12:06 am
@gollum,
I'm not a Jew, but I'm of the Messianic variety of Christianity, and admire many Jewish traditions. Sukkot is one of my favorite, because I personally understand what it feels like to wander about.

It's a celebration of the tents while the Jews were wandering in the wilderness. And it calls to mind that God said when asked to build a temple for him, "Did I ask for a house...?" Sukkot is to regard such visitors as though God himself has decided to visit the tent, which is something that happened in the story of Lot and possibly the story of wrestling with God (Israel). So, yeah, the only way this seems kosher is if the tent/booth thing had a door of some sort, and the door was closed due to being occupied.
gollum

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2021 05:58 am
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144-

Were you born into a traditional Jewish family and afterward did you accept Christ?
0 Replies