Open Letter To Jews: Christian Passover

Fri 15 Apr, 2022 05:01 am
So every now and then, you'll run into a website typically run by Jews asking Christians to stop celebrating Passover. Or they try to pull rank and tell Christians to celebrate like Jews.
https://18doors.org/a_christians_guide_to_passover/
Uhhhh, no, sorry. First of all, the number of Christians that actually hold a Seder is not demographically significant, as most do not (they have an Easter supper instead). Second of all, the Christian Passover is an authentic Christian celebration. Christians have nothing to apologize for. Third, Jews have gotten Passover WRONG for over 2000 years, and it's time to admit it.

Let's go over some history. Passover started during the Exodus. During the night of Passover, blood was spread on the door with hyssop (this tradition was the first to go, I think, I asked an actual Jews and he thought they never did this past the first one; I'm not convinced of that). Then unleavened bread was baked (now it's storebought, and some Jewish Passover has matzoh ball soup, uhhhhh no, the point of Passover is not to have a dish that has unleavened flour or a ball of dough in water but to bake unleavened bread, night buy it storebought, not come up with different dishes). Then there was the bitter herbs, haroset, and the lamb. Christians eat an egg, but I'm not sure about JewsSome rabbi came up wuth the idea of eating these herbs together with the lamb, haroset, and unleavened bread (again, the idea of coming up with new dishes rather than keeping traditions, but this one was based on the idea that it was all part of the whole custom.
But let's talk about this lamb. You see, it's off the menu, replaced by a lamb sgank and other meat, even though the passage in Exodus says in no uncertain terms...
Quote:
The Lord said to Moses and Aaron in Egypt, 2 “This month is to be for you the first month, the first month of your year. 3 Tell the whole community of Israel that on the tenth day of this month each man is to take a lamb for his family, one for each household. 4 If any household is too small for a whole lamb, they must share one with their nearest neighbor, having taken into account the number of people there are. You are to determine the amount of lamb needed in accordance with what each person will eat. 5 The animals you choose must be year-old males without defect, and you may take them from the sheep or the goats. 6 Take care of them until the fourteenth day of the month, when all the members of the community of Israel must slaughter them at twilight. 7 Then they are to take some of the blood and put it on the sides and tops of the doorframes of the houses where they eat the lambs. 8 That same night they are to eat the meat roasted over the fire, along with bitter herbs, and bread made without yeast. 9 Do not eat the meat raw or boiled in water, but roast it over a fire—with the head, legs and internal organs. 10 Do not leave any of it till morning; if some is left till morning, you must burn it. 11 This is how you are to eat it: with your cloak tucked into your belt, your sandals on your feet and your staff in your hand. Eat it in haste; it is the Lord’s Passover.

You see, the Jews ran into trouble. It started around the "wise" King Solomon deciding to build a Temple. Jews got it into their heads that this was a public sacrifice to be marched over to the temple to be reviewed for its blemishes then killed publically in some big occasion. Uhhhhh no? This was a home ceremony, allowed sheep or goats, and most important was that the lamb was to be shared among households. Nothing in here said the word "sacrifice". That's Yom Kippur, where a lamb was given either as a scapegoat or as offering. This is a meal, not a sacrifice, though the blood spreading fooled people. You're to pick a lamb without blemish, suited to the size of households, and share it with nearby families with not enough. No rabbis, no cohen, no temples, none of that is involved. None of that is necessary! But the Jews made an idol of their temple. And so, God destroyed it. They made excuses for nearly 2000 years why the temple fell. It fell because Jews have never asked for forgiveness for the issues that caused its fall, setting the temple ahead of God, and refusing to recognize it as an idol. It remains fallen because Jews even today refuse to properly keep the Passover, which involves lamb not a temple, unleavened bread not matzoh ball soup. And there should not be another temple, it distracted focus from God.
Quote:
King David was living in his palace, and the Lord had given him peace from all his enemies around him. 2 Then David said to Nathan the prophet, “Look, I am living in a palace made of cedar wood, but the Ark of God is in a tent!”

3 Nathan said to the king, “Go and do what you really want to do, because the Lord is with you.”

4 But that night the Lord spoke his word to Nathan, 5 “Go and tell my servant David, ‘This is what the Lord says: Will you build a house for me to live in? 6 From the time I brought the Israelites out of Egypt until now I have not lived in a house. I have been moving around all this time with a tent as my home. 7 As I have moved with the Israelites, I have never said to the tribes, whom I commanded to take care of my people Israel, “Why haven’t you built me a house of cedar?”’

But Jews have also rejected the Messiah, if that's another sore point. There will not be another Messiah, the East Gate is closed, and a graveyard built on it. Either accept the one God gave, warts and all, or reject the idea of Messiah. God is not going to kill other people for you. "Vengeance is mine," God has promised that he will sort out justice (NOT US), so the main reason Jews reject the Messiah is that he didn't kill off all the Romans and the temple was destroyed. No uhhhh, the temple was destroyed because of disobedience which continues to this day. A lamb shank? Really?!? Either accept Jesus, and enter into the grace that has been prepared as a result of his sacrifice for all, or you must figure out what God wants and do everything you can to repent of 2000 years of wayward ideas given by corrupt sinful rabbis.

Christians (when they do celebrate Passover, and don't get taken in by the Jewish temple tradition) typically do eat lamb, because to them it is a reminder of the Lamb of God that takes away our sins. It's often not a sacrifice though, so bought lamb is usually eaten over killing a lamb on the spot. Samaritans also kill a lamb, this time on their mountain. The Jews on the other hand, actually have laws against celebrating the Passover with lamb. Well, I think it's against sacricing on Temple Mount which they do not need to do in the first place. It's time to stop this false tradition. The temple is not important. If it was important to worship, it is not required for a home tradition like Passover. Let it go. Go back to eating the meat that God specifically instructed you to eat that day. Sort out whatever else you have done wrong on the Day of Atonement, but it starts by realizing that you are able to have a proper Passover, whether of not there is a temple, whether or not there is even a nation of Israel. You are Jews, stop wailing at a wall, and start acting like Chosen People of God.

Theo202

Fri 22 Apr, 2022 10:36 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
Quote:
But Jews have also rejected the Messiah, if that's another sore point.

There are Messianic Jews, so technically that's not true. But the real issue is that the Christian doctrine of the crucifixion isn't supported by the theology of Judaism or by its prophets.

The wicked shall be a ransom for the righteous, and the transgressor for the upright.
Proverbs 21:18

Surely the Lord YHWH will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.
Amos 3:7

The priesthood recognised that there was no prophetic support for the death of a messiah so they invented the story of spear of the crucifixion in order to provide a connection with Zechariah 12:10. The story of the spear only appears in the gospel of John, and the author of that gospel had insider knowledge that would imply that he was a member of the Caiaphas' inner circle.
bulmabriefs144

Mon 23 May, 2022 07:46 am
@Theo202,
The Messianic Jews are considered "fake Jews" to many of the Jews there. Which seems to be the point, that Jews are actively against have Messianic sympathy because it might make them lose street cred as Jews.

Quote:
Surely the Lord YHWH will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.
Amos 3:7

And prophets predicted the coming of a Messiah. But when he came, did they accept him? Not a chance.

No. Actually, the Jews had an uncomfortable situation on their hands. The earlier leaders confirmed Isauah 53. But they'd just seen not only a man be pierced but enter through the East Gate, and his clothes were divided by lot. This is awfully specific, yet Ezekiel and Isaiah, and the writers of Psalms said as much would happen.

The original Hebrew text had this here. The Masoretic text, 1000 years later, did not. Not only that, it was different text, with vowels added. Imagine a written language with no vowels, that was put together largely by oral tradition. Then suddenly they add vowels. Are we to trust that they followed God and added the rivht ones, when we aren't even sure they did the right thing by rejecting Jesus? But sure, it was the Christian ppl who changed all these texts.

"Like a lion, my hands and feet."
" They have pierced my hands and feet. "

Be real with me. Which one looks like the real text? I can tell you right now, it's the second. Wounded for our transgressions? That isn't prophetic support?

There is no reason for the priests to change the text to add the pierced part. They were actively opposed to Jesus, and would never make the text fit that. But there were plenty of reasons for them to change the text away from that.
0 Replies

jespah

Mon 23 May, 2022 08:23 am
@bulmabriefs144,
Oh FFS yet again you've decided that you know better about a faith you have never, ever practiced, versus the people who have.

A so-called Christian seder is cultural misappropriation. Full stop.

Passover goes back to BCE. But seders are from the 10th century CE.

Full stop.

Quit misappropriating our culture. Quit trying to tell us what to do. Or eat. Or how to pray. Or who or what to accept.

You're out of line. Completely, 100% Out. Of. Line.
0 Replies