dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 04:57 pm
Nah - I have had it for ages.

Lol - they ain't plannin' it dearie - evidence strongly suggests they're doing it.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 05:02 pm
dlowan wrote:

Along with your anti-US bias.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 08:42 pm
I'm not anti-US in the slightest, and I agree with DLowan.

I'm anti-THuggery, and anti-Bush admin...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 09:19 pm
Yep, torture is just great. Arguing against it obviously makes one an American hater.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 09:53 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I'm not anti-US in the slightest,

Cyclops - you should give a "beverage alert" before posting something like that, otherwise keyboards across the land are in peril!
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 09:53 pm
The 'plan' that keeps being requested will not be available for another 30 odd years when it gets declassified. Just because people are 'good' at covering blatant tracks mainly by hiding behind 'national security' gag orders doesn't mean a plan (implicit or otherwise) didn't exist.
Even assuming ostrich-theorists still can't see the systematic hcomplicity from high-up, surely a systematic incompetence all the way to the top is taking place to have such abuse take place across the war-areas and in G'tmo for so long. Either way, it is abyssmal, and to offer enlisted men and low-grade officers and claim it is rogue individuals is both wishful thinking and shameful.

The outrage should also be voiced by americans when our standards have stooped so low to defend deliberate abusive actions by claiming that Japanese of WWII or Saddam, or Fanatic extremists were/are doing it too. Is the aspiration to do better only than tyrants and fascists? Gosh, talk about the enemy succeeding in dragging you down to the low road, which is probably what the purpose of their whole loathsome campaign was to begin with.

By any of the civlized world's definitions, torture has taken place. We have the likes of horowitz to thank for muddying the issue by claiming there is justification for this abhorrent behavior. Surely some may feel temporarily viscerally vindicated in dishiing out some whoopass, or luck into some intel that prevents an attack, but far more damage will be done by torturing (abusing, maltreating, duressing, roughing up, or whatever your defense mechanisms makes you comfortable calling it), because it is counter-effective long-term, it produces too much unreliable info, it vindicates the other side, loses us the moral high-ground, and in the long-run it makes the world a worse place FOR US.

but again, no 'plan's until around 2035...please stand by.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 09:56 pm
Ah, yes, the "secret" plan. Uh, huh. Well, I'm a patient person.

<Marking calendar...wouldn't want to miss the 'secret' plan>
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 10:20 pm
Your lightning fast response and its content leads me to believe that your reading speed is inversely proportional to retaining pertinent points.

hope you're a much slower reader when we are exchanging "I told you so", "It's a hoax" comments on that fateful moment marked on your calendar
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 10:39 pm
Lol - there's no point Gravy - I am sure they do not read the evidence that is provided.

Here is some more from another thread for them not to read:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Surprised that more people haven't seen this one.

Quote:
Torture FOIA
March 7, 2005

Government Documents on Torture
Freedom of Information Act

The ACLU filed a request on Oct. 7, 2003 under the Freedom of Information Act demanding the release of information about detainees held overseas by the United States. A lawsuit was filed in June 2004 demanding that the government comply with the October 2003 FOIA request.

Below are documents the government did not want the general public to read -- including an FBI Memo (pdf) stating that Defense Department interrogators impersonated FBI agents and used "torture techniques" against a detainee at Guantanamo.

The public has a right to know.

Department of Defense, agencies agree on 'Ghost Detainees' 3/9/05

Army and Navy records, investigations of detainee abuse in Iraq 3/7/05

Defense Department Documents 2/18/05

Army Records 1/24/05

FBI, e-mails of McCraw inquiry into detainee abuse in Guantanamo 1/5/05

Army, investigations of detainee abuse in Iraq and Afghanistan 12/21/04

FBI, e-mails of FBI agents witnessing the use of "torture techniques" in Guantanamo 12/20/04

Navy, investigations of detainee abuse in Iraq and Afghanistan 12/14/04

Defense Intelligence Agency, State Department and FBI, detainee abuse by Task Force 626 in Iraq is reported, e-mails express concern about interrogation methods. 12/7/04

Defense Department, Taguba report 10/19/04

Office of Information and Privacy, Defense Department, Army and FBI, the Ryder Report 10/15/04

Careful review of these documents demonstrates that many other critical records have not been released. We will continue to fight for the public's right to know what the government's policies were, why these abuses were allowed to take place, and who was ultimately responsible, and encourage you to join the alliance to get these records released.

You see, Amnesty will be said to be insanely anti-US, UCLA is a communist plot, no journalist not from Fox can be trusted, anyone who says anything against US policy is a lunatic...anyone who believes Guantanamo Bay - even without the other problems - is prisoner abuse is an evil terrorist supporter.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 10:45 pm
Quote:
UCLA is a communist plot

ACLU. UCLA is a school in Southern California. Smile

Cheers, friend!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 10:45 pm
Lol - blush.

Well, UCLA is a KNOWN communist plot, no?

(I thought innuendo was an Italian suppository until I tasted Smirnoff's)
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 10:48 pm
Well...maybe UCLA is also a communist plot. It has to do with educating people.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 10:49 pm
dlowan wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Lol- actually, the UN seems to feel, and deal with, the outrage itself.

Unlike you.

Hmmmmmmm?

US soldiers have been court martialed and put in prision. How does the US not take care of the mess SOME soldiers made.

Just as a side note, I still don't think it was torture.

I rest my case.

Many of you folks still seem unprepared to admit any wrongdoing. (Actually, that is not fair - it is a small minority of the right here who think like that - I just get so irked when I see it happpening, that I see your numbers as bigger than they are)

The UN, at least, accepted the actions of the soldiers in the Congo as sexual crimes, set up an investigation, and acted.

How has the UN NOT cleaned up the mess SOME soldiers of SOME member states committed?

And - actually - it is far harder for the UN to act given the complexities of the command structure, than it is for a state like the US to act against its OWN soldiers, which it took god's own sweet time to do - and failed to act until the thing hit the international media, and continued to hit it. NOW we are hearing of more and more murders of prisoners by US gaolers - 26 in Afghanistan alone, as far as I know, to date.

AND - the Abu Ghraib torture took place as part of an illegal invasion of a sovereign (if appallingly ruled) country (ably assisted in its awfulness by previous US support) NOT as part of a legal peace-keeping operation.

There is good reason to believe the mistreatment of US prisoners continues - as there is good reason to believe the torture outsourcing continues. Is anyone aware of the UN currently running sexual abuse camps, with UN hierarchy support and protection?

The behaviour of soldiers can suck, anywhere, any time. This is life.
I hear some of you defending the actions of your criminals in uniform - I do not hear the UN doing so for its criminals. I do not hear anyone here supporting the actions of those UN soldiers. There were threads about this at the time. There was outrage expressed. You guys just like to think that only Americans ever get condemned. You create a false either/or thing, which exists mainly in your own heads - (except for a few left nuts, ably matched by the right wing nuts - who use everything to advance their own idolising/bashing agenda.)

It is good that the US has court-martialled a few offenders, and that Bushco have backtracked in their public support of US interrogation techniques considered as torture by the US itself, until your government changed the rules for a time. It is good that a few soldiers are being tried for murder of an Afghani prisoner, and others for the murder of an Iraqi prisoner. I doubt this has solved the problems. (Not that the US is alone in such treatment - the countries in the ME who are your allies - like Egypt, Saudi Arabia etc. - are notorious torturers - as, sadly, are numerous countries worldwide - I think the US just attracts more attention for it because of the circumstances in Iraq and Guantanamo, and the export of torture to allies in the ME - and because of your country's position of loudly condemning it in others.)

I have no doubt the UN will be smirched by more misconduct by some of its soldiers in the future - and be guilty of weakness and dumb mistakes.

As far as I know, though, the UN has not condoned and deliberately practiced sexual abuse as a policy. I believe the US has done this with mistreatment of prisoners - including deliberately setting up an institutution like Guantanamo in order to evade its own laws about such things, as well as the outsourcing of the worst of its torture activities to allies, and continues to do so.

PS Finn - I have not the foggiest what you are talking about with your one world government, (except I know it is a conspiracy theory of some on the far right) nor what relevance it has here.

I see you held on to the point that I didn't think it was torture, but I never said it was right. I do thik what they did was wrong, but I don't think it was torture.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 10:50 pm
What do you think it was, Baldimo?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 10:54 pm
JustWonders wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Along with your anti-US bias.

Lol - it is all relative.

Most folk think me an 'orrible US apologist.

Got into a real row the other day for saying that I thought the US had behaved very well after Sept 11th re abuse of Islamic people.

I accept I look anti-US from YOUR position on the scale.

But - it all changes as a mist as you change point of view....
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 10:59 pm
dlowan wrote:
What do you think it was, Baldimo?

As others have stated, it was abuse and it was wrong, but that doesn't make it torture.

What would I do in that position if I found out what was going on? I would report every last one of them for violations of the Army Code.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 11:11 pm
dlowan wrote:
Many of you folks still seem unprepared to admit any wrongdoing. (Actually, that is not fair - it is a small minority of the right here who think like that - I just get so irked when I see it happpening, that I see your numbers as bigger than they are)

dlowan, you are so right. There are certain people on this site whose responses to any given news item are so predictable, it's almost like they are doing a parody of a person with their given idealogy. It's pretty damn funny.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 11:15 pm
Good on you Baldimo - lol - we can agree on something!

I have just posted a definition of torture on another thread:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torture

"Torture is the infliction of severe physical or psychological pain as an expression of cruelty, a means of intimidation, deterent or punishment, or as a tool for the extraction of information or confessions. Sometimes torture is practiced even when it appears to have little or no functional purpose beyond the gratification of the torturer or because it has become the norm within the context.

Torture is an extreme violation of human rights. Signatories of the Third Geneva Convention agree not to commit torture under certain circumstances in wartime, and signatories of the UN Convention Against Torture agree to not commit certain specific forms of torture. These conventions and agreements notwithstanding, it is estimated by organisations such as Amnesty International that around 2/3 of countries do not consistently abide by the spirit of such treaties. Realistically, torture or similar techniques have been a tool of many states throughout history and for many states they remain so (when expedient and desired, and often unofficially) today."

I do not know that it is worth endlessly quibbling about a word, when we all agree that what happened at Abu Ghraib and the Congo are unacceptable - but I DO believe that Abu Ghraib falls into the definition of torture.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 11:17 pm
kickycan wrote:
dlowan wrote:

dlowan, you are so right. There are certain people on this site whose responses to any given news item are so predictable, it's almost like they are doing a parody of a person with their given idealogy. It's pretty damn funny.

Lol - well, as I said to JW, it is all relativity and smoke and mirrors of perspective.

That is exactly how they see me - well, they said it a little more rudely.....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 09:06 am
JustWonders wrote:
Tico, when's the last time you thought to yourself "Thank God for the United Nations" ...or, "Whew, if not for the UN, we'd REALLY be in trouble".

Ive been thinking and thinking about this and I can't remember...well, not even one time that I've thought that. Just drawing a complete blank. Smile

Anyone?

There was this one time, while I was just a wee lad, when I thought the United Nations was really important. I think it was because of the Batman and Robin movie -- you know, the one from the '70s where the members of the U.N. were turned into dust by the Joker, Riddler, Penguin, et al. They portrayed them to be the most important people on the planet, and the key to world peace.

It wasn't until later, after I realized Batman and Robin were not going to come and save the day, that I realized the impotence and corruption of that organization.
0 Replies