Anybody ever try those audio language courses they sell?

roger

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:30 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Un huh. Rosetta Stone is very good. With speech recognition, you get an instant check on your pronunciation, and you will speak before going on to the next exercise. Well, you can circumvent the program if you really want to, but don't. The writing exercises are valuable in distinguishing between all the little words that look the same. You can't gloss over the misunderstandings the way you might when reading. It is not, however, a conversational approach, and their is no cultural context at all. None. It kind of looks like they are using the same pictures and text for each of their twentysomething languages. Rosetta is designed to be installed on one computer only. This could be inconvenient. Could also be a disaster, so don't even think about buying second hand.

But, lawzee, it is expensive, and I have issues with their pricing structure. All three levels purchased at once is a good deal through Amazon. Buying level 1, liking it, and buying levels 2 & 3 at the separate program pricing is not so good at all. In fact, it would be marginally cheaper to scrap your level 1, and buy the three level bundle. I'm not liking this at all.

For something not computer based, do not overlook the Learning Like Crazy CDs. Very conversational, and by lession three, it looks very good, indeed. Not too bad on price, either, again if you use amazon. Much of the "New & Used" is offered by Learning Like Crazy, itself. Probably returned products in good condition.

Our library has some language CDs. The good ones are always on waiting lists.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:34 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
But, lawzee, it is expensive, and I have issues with their pricing structure. All three levels purchased at once is a good deal through Amazon. Buying level 1, liking it, and buying levels 2 & 3 at the separate program pricing is not so good at all. In fact, it would be marginally cheaper to scrap your level 1, and buy the three level bundle. I'm not liking this at all.
Our library has some language CDs. The good ones are always on waiting lists.

It is pretty expensive. I just spent almost $700 on English 1, 2 and 3 the last time I was in a US airport. There's also an online subscription model btw. If you use it enough (i.e. lots of hours per day) it could end up cheaper.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:46 pm
@kickycan,
Nice to see this thread again. I check google for RAIit and saved links to look at tomorrow.
0 Replies