Anybody ever try those audio language courses they sell?

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:41 pm
s'ok
i've already had my threesome with l'k
l'k and boots and me

Cool
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:45 pm
Great! That means that you two can teach me the ways of the menage! I'm just an innocent, you know.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:54 pm
<snort>
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:54 pm
We had a menage a quatre when we were here with screechercat.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 09:57 pm
Hey, I just spent an hour or so practicing with this Rosetta Stone online italian course. It's a free demo, and it was pretty fun. Well, at least it was fun for me. Not as fun as a menage a quatre with a dog and a cat, but...

If anyone gets bored and want to check it out...here's the link.

Now I'm off to check out the Pimsleur products.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 11:26 pm
Okay, I'm leaning toward Pimsleur now. My teacher recommended the Rosetta Stone package, but that is software--meaning I'd have to be on the computer whenever I wanted to do a lesson. Pimsleur is strictly audio CDs that can be played anytime, anywhere. Both of them seem to be about the same price.

Living Language is another one, but it looks like Amazon's reviewers are pretty universal in their praise of Pimsleur. Hmmm....I guess I should go to the library tomorrow and check out what they have there, like my friend littlek suggested.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 11:35 pm
You may not be able to be so picky at the library.....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 11:43 pm
Well, I'm just going to check it out. I'll probably end up getting the Pimsleur CDs anyway. I want to get a serious course and do it in a disciplined way. Ha! Discipline! This will be a good test of my own dedication too.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 11:45 pm
Okay, time for Kicky to go to bed. Goodnight littlek. Try not to dream of me too much.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 11:46 pm
good night kickypants....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 11:54 pm
littlek wrote:
You may not be able to be so picky at the library.....

there should be plennny of women at the library
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 08:32 pm
I strongly recommend the Rosetta Stone software. For beginners I think it's even better than a one-on-one teacher in most cases, and this is coming from a former language teacher.

Its strength lies in that it teaches visually with pictures (and never translations) and it's a more natural way to learn. If you are a beginner, I think it's even better than a class hour for hour and since it's software you can put as many hours into it as you can.
roger

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 09:16 pm
I think I'll go for it, Rob. Sorry for all the deletions - I had intended to send pm, and darn if I didn't hit reply. I never dreamed he would find a three year old post of his.

On the translations; yes. I had a series of books while in Germany called Deutch fur Auslandern. Not one word of English. They worked for everyone, and they worked well. Not so hot for pronunciation, of course. In 1965, computers were sold by the acre, and recorders were either wire or reel to reel, so far as I recall.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 09:30 pm
roger wrote:
I think I'll go for it, Rob. Sorry for all the deletions - I had intended to send pm, and darn if I didn't hit reply. I never dreamed he would find a three year old post of his.

On the translations; yes. I had a series of books while in Germany called Deutch fur Auslandern. Not one word of English. They worked for everyone, and they worked well. Not so hot for pronunciation, of course. In 1965, computers were sold by the acre, and recorders were either wire or reel to reel, so far as I recall.

Lol! You call to mind my state of the art university language laboratory in my first year of uni (1971).......not only did one have to master reel-to-reel AND German......one had to cope with the damn teachers interrupting in one's earphones just when you'd said "**** bloody German and the horse it rode in on" when one had failed to get Georg's studies and their goddam cases correct.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 09:40 pm
You should read Mark Twain's A Tramp Abroad. He covered the German language rather thouroughly. I know Thomas has read it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 09:57 pm
roger wrote:
You should read Mark Twain's A Tramp Abroad. He covered the German language rather thouroughly. I know Thomas has read it.

I may have done so....many years ago.

Or...is it mentioned in "A Girl of the Limberlost"?

It may have been.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 10:38 pm
Not familiar with "A Girl of the Limberlost", but it was definately in Tramp (not Innocents!).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 09:17 am
Well I remember German language lab in Powell Library.. in '61. I only took a semester, as the regular class in second semester was too far away to get to in the ten minute break between classes. I remain ig'erent.

And of Twain, I only read Innocents...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 01:38 pm
Grrrrrr

I spent half a day picking out and ordering a headset to go with the program. It, and the program arrived today, so I set up the headset first and checked it out with a CD. It's real good. Now that the package has been destroyed in the opening process, I start checking out Rosetta Stone. Well, fan me with a blowtorch if it doesn't include a nice looking headset as part of the package.

One more for the "spare parts box".
0 Replies

VaneEnglish

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 02:20 pm
yes ive used them, they work but you really have to make an effort, and listen to them a LOT
0 Replies