Swollen feet

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 09:30 pm
For years I've had swollen feet. Other problems are high blood pressure, some mild kidney problems and diabetes. For the swollen feet I am taking 2 "fluid tabs" a day (40mg) which is the max tbe doc would allow. He has persistantly told me to "elevate" my feet/legs, and I felt that that was too uncomfortable and inconvenient so never bothered to try it. Then someone (not in the medical field at all) told me to do this "elevation" as well. So I did... and within 24 hrs my feet were less swollen. My question now is... what is the best way to proceed... like... how many hours a day is recommended? So far the best I can do is half hourly stints maybe 3 times a day. After 30 minutes it becomes painful and I have to put my feet back down on the floor. No one (the doc) said anything thing like "you need to put your feet up for 2 hrs a day, which could be 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon. At the moment I am just experimenting... trying to put my feet up as much as possible, but it's not easy. It would be helpful to know if there was a "recommended dose" as to what would be the best routine. I believe that if the doc had been a bit specific and suggested some sort of time schedule then maybe I would have started this 'feet elevation' a long time ago. Bottom line... how many hours a day is needed for my feet to be elevated for it to have any beneficial effect on me/my health. Sorry to be so long winded. I do plan on telling the doc about this, but would like to know what other people think. I am going to have to tell him he should have given me specific instructions, just like when taking medication, and he may not appreciate my stupidity.

chai2

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 09:46 pm
@drillersmum85,
It doesn’t matter what other people think. This is between you and your doctor.
roger

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 10:15 pm
@chai2,
Yes, and it sounds like the doctor needs a little 'coaching'.
chai2

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 11:28 pm
@roger,
Or that the patient needs to stop blaming the doctor, and use her brain to ask a question or 2.

I can't imagine someone having to be told, how long, how many times to put their feet up.
Maybe she should go back to the person who "convinced her" to try this common sense thing, and ask them.

Then, when it doesn't go perfectly, it's going to be the doctors fault. Rolling Eyes

0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Ragman

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 03:30 am
@Catalina,
Your advice is Total BS. I (and others) who work/have worked at personal computers for hours at a time do NOT have any problem with swollen feet. If you’re experiencing swollen ankles follow the advice of your physician. and ignore free inexpert advice of strangers online.
Ragman

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 04:02 am
@Ragman,
...and he may advise you more specifically for elevating your feet or just change you medication. Are you on a sodium-restricted diet?

Ignoring your doctors’s advice when you have a serious issue is a bad choice. It can permanently affect your health if you continue the behavior.

I’m not sure if you might’ve mentioned it but do you have a weight problem?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 08:44 am
@drillersmum85,
Ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian so you can get some nutritional cues as well. You will probably hear you need to eat less salt and that almost always means fewer restaurant meals. But let the experts tell you this, as I am not one.
0 Replies

Drlalchandanilab

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2018 10:45 am
@drillersmum85,
Ankles that swell in the evening could be a sign of retaining salt and water because of right-sided heart failure. Kidney disease can also cause foot and ankle swelling. ... Gravity causes fluid to accumulate more in the feet and ankles, but fluid can also accumulate in the abdomen and chest.
0 Replies