No forwarding order on file

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2018 07:23 am
What does "No forwarding order on file" mean? Does "file" refer to the letter?

The screenshot is cut from the film Forrest Gump:
http://i68.tinypic.com/kcfne9.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 867 • Replies: 8
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
PUNKEY
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2018 10:18 am
When people move they will often fill out a form ( or oder) for the post office telling them where to send future mail. ( forward the mail)

Jenny did not, so the mail got returned to sender.
oristarA

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2018 07:28 pm
@PUNKEY,
Thank you.

Does the "file" refer to the official file/register kept by government?
chai2

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2018 07:55 pm
@oristarA,
The USPS is an independent agency of the government, and would be the entity that would hold that information. When a person moves and provides their forwarding address, mail will be forwarded for a year. During that time the person is responsible for informing anyone who sends mail of their new address.

You can renew your notice of a forwarding address after the initial year if you need to.

A friend of mine has done just that. I am the address where all his US mail is getting sent, and a couple of months ago he renewed it. Every month or so I send his mail to a location in the US, close to the US/Mexican border. A private courier service then takes his and others mail across the border and delivers it to the city he lives in, about 500 miles South of the US border.

He has to do this as some of his mail has to be delivered to an actual physical address in the US.
oristarA

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2018 11:11 pm
@chai2,
Thank you. Smile
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 09:54 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

A friend of mine has done just that. I am the address where all his US mail is getting sent, and a couple of months ago he renewed it. Every month or so I send his mail to a location in the US, close to the US/Mexican border. A private courier service then takes his and others mail across the border and delivers it to the city he lives in, about 500 miles South of the US border.

Hmm ... fess up - are you involved in something fishy here? Sounds suspect. And here I thought you were a law abiding citizen. Come on let us in on this - we won't tell..
chai2

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 10:26 am
@Linkat,
Heh. I know. It sounds rather involved and clandestine, doesn’t it?

Don’t tell, but I have been known to slip a package of Twizzlers, or a box of Ike and Mikes into the package. His 90 year old father likes them.
oristarA

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 06:02 pm
@chai2,
Mike and Ike?

https://tse3-mm.cn.bing.net/th?id=OIP.rYshOehnTN4D6nNE4YacuAHaHa&w=190&h=187&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.75&pid=1.7
chai2

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 06:16 pm
@oristarA,
Yep.
0 Replies