What Type of Rights Applies To This Article?

joebay

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 03:26 pm
Hello there! I have a question regarding an article I am reading. I have to understand what I am reading and by that I mean by determining which rights apply to the article. I believe I already have in mind the rights that are applied in this article. I would like your help to see if I am correct or what's wrong. I'm still learning what type of rights there are and what's their meaning. So, there might be mistakes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Article)
Jim Pope was a highly respected engineer and a pilot when the FAA placed him in charge of the department of safety for privately-owned noncommercial airplanes. During the 1970s he became involved in a controversy concerning the most effective technical system for avoiding air plane collisions. FAA officials favored a Beacon Collision Avoidance System, which was under the control of pilots. What should have been a routine technical dispute gradually escalated into a case of organizational disobedience and retaliation that continued to gain media coverage as recently as 1986 on programs like "60 minutes" and "McNeil-Lehrer Newshour."

Pope argued for the airborne system because he believed it was more effective in preventing collisions and also less expensive and more rapidly operational. He believe the FAA was biased against the system because a private corporation, Honeywell, had developed it, whereas the FAA had developed the ground-based system. The issue came to a crisis in 1978 during official hearings into the causes of a San Diego collision that killed 144 people. Pope disagreed openly with his superiors' view by proposing that the airborne system could have prevented the collision. He also suggested that the FAA was trying to cover up an FAA-funded study that supported his view.

In response, Pope's superiors disbanded his department and transferred him from Washington DC to Seattle, promising him a challenging new job at his current salary. It quickly became clear, however, that the transfer was entirely punitive. Although he kept his salary, he was given an empty desk and no work to do. In 1981, after more than a year of frustrating attempts to remedy the situation, he told his story to a local newspaper. Before long both prossional aviation journals and the national media were exploring the story.

Embarrassed and angered, FAA officials tried a new tactic, overloading Pope with work so that they could prepare to fire him by writing a series of memos criticizing his work performance. His health began to collapse from the pressure. On advice of physicians he entered a hospital and applied for disability retirement. The FAA fired him for being absent without leave.
(End of Article)
----------------------------------------
When I read this article the first thing that I thought of was the (Professional Conscience right) . If I am correct, this right means that Pope has the right to be respected? I assume Freedom is another right. Doesn't matter which type, but if you read the article there are hints that the (Freedom) right takes effect. I believe the other right is (Conscientious Refusal) and that is because he was refused of the idea he had with collisions. The next right is (Justice) and this is because he was punished and fired for something he didn't do. I guess we can agreed that the right of (Safety) is obvious just because it is mentioned that he had responsibilities in the position he was placed. I'm not sure if (Whistle-blowing) is one of the them because I feel like his case was misinformed when he told the story. Same as Whistle-blowing, I'm not sure if the right of (Compensation) applies to this article too. I feel like it does because even though he kept his salary they still made it possible for him to be in a bad position by excluding his workspace. Finally, the (right of Life). I don't think this belongs in this article because he wasn't threaten to be killed or anything like that.

These are six rights (marked inside parenthesis) I believe apply to the article. I'm just trying to learn and understand how this works. Please, I would appreciate it if you tell me which one of these doesn't belong or does in this article. I gave you my opinion on each of these rights to give you an easier understanding of my thoughts.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,601 • Replies: 15

camlok

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 05:36 pm
@joebay,
Are you a native speaker of English, Joe? Is this an assignment for some class in high school, college, ... ?
joebay

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 05:48 pm
@camlok,
I'm not a native speaker of English. Also, this is not an assignment. Well, it is kind of but the purpose of this is for myself to learn and understand. I just would like to know if I am correct. I'm not asking to give me the answer, just to tell me if my choices are correct or not or if I any of this rights don't apply.
camlok

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 05:52 pm
@joebay,
Who delineating/named/invented these rights or the names for these rights?
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 05:56 pm
@joebay,
I'm confused by the article. It doesn't seem to make it clear what the two??? systems were and who was in favor of which one.
joebay

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 06:16 pm
@camlok,
I'm in the same position. I was given this to read from .pdf file. I was told to practice my understanding of this article. I will have to write about it. This is why I would like help with the "rights". So, then I will know what exactly to write about.
camlok

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 09:37 pm
@joebay,
I did a Google exact phrase search for,

"Jim Pope was a highly respected engineer and a pilot"

and I got zero hits. It seems like this "article" might not exist in actual English speaking media/academia/... .

Also,

No results found for "What should have been a routine technical dispute gradually escalated into a case of organizational disobedience and retaliation that continued to gain media coverage as recently as 1986 on programs like "60 minutes" and "McNeil-Lehrer Newshour."".

Results for What should have been a routine technical dispute gradually escalated into a case of organizational disobedience and retaliation that continued to gain media coverage as recently as 1986 on programs like 60 minutes and McNeil-Lehrer Newshour. (without quotes):

and still nothing.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 09:57 pm
@joebay,
Who is it that is asking you to write about these nebulous "rights"? It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, Joe.
laughoutlood

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 10:11 pm
Rights and responsibilities of engineers.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/presentation/1220/7206c4323fd58eeb267029e0a29989e48412.pdf

Google "Jim Pope" FAA
camlok

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 10:43 pm
@laughoutlood,
Good research, lol!!
0 Replies

joebay

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2018 11:29 am
@camlok,
I mean it makes sense if my English teach is making me write about it. Now that I saw some comments I think this is not an article. It is probably made up. I was the one that called it an article. My teacher never said that, my mistake.
0 Replies

joebay

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2018 11:37 am
@laughoutlood,
That is a good link. However, I am having trouble with identifying which of the rights I mentioned applies to the story.
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2018 03:03 pm
Whar “rights” domain are you talking about:
Civil rights
Employee rights
Legal rights
Social rights
Workplace rights
????
joebay

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2018 03:23 pm
@PUNKEY,
Engineering Rights. I'm barely learning this things and I find it confusing that is why I am asking for help because I am not sure if the rights I mentioned above applies to the story or if some of them does not.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2018 09:12 pm
@joebay,
Quote:
That is a good link. However, I am having trouble with identifying which of the rights I mentioned applies to the story.

You are substantially correct. Read the link, study your texts and think some more about the rights affected, especially types of professional rights.

If you bothered to google you'd know it was a true story.
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2018 02:32 am
@joebay,
This article has told us about responsibility and dedication of engineers for their work. They have to face a lot of problems but solve them with sincerity. Thank you for this post.
0 Replies