My daughter will faint when exposed to sunlight.

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2018 02:26 am
My daughter faints every time she stresses herself too much in studying and even in too much exposure to sunlight. It will take her hours before she wakes up. I was thinking she has a bad heart condition or something so I have her checked by a physician one time. However, the doctor told us that there is nothing wrong with her. I have a foreign feeling that this is not good anymore. Is that still normal? Or should I worry about her health?

roger

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2018 02:49 am
@maggie1972,
I would worry about her health in a big way. She needs to see a doctor, and I don't mean the one that said there was nothing wrong with her.
jespah

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2018 06:48 am
@maggie1972,
Get a second opinion. And with this other doctor have her blood pressure and sugar checked. If those both come back okay, then it might also mean she's a bit dehydrated. If it's none of those, then ask the doctor about vasovagal syncope.

I am not a doctor but I have vasovagal syncope. It's essentially harmless. I tend to not get to the point of fainting; it's more that I feel kind of "checked out" if that makes any sense. Your daughter might get a similar feeling just before she faints.

Also, if she faints a lot, she probably shouldn't get a driver's license, or surrender hers if she already has one. This is for her own safety and the safety of others.
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2018 08:45 am
Migraines have these similar symptoms.

Is she stressed out? If so, Why?
maggie1972

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 02:34 am
@roger,
Thank you for this. I already talked to a second doctor and it's nothing serious.
0 Replies

maggie1972

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 02:35 am
@jespah,
I asked for a second opinion and the doctor told me she faints because of stress and anxiety and also because she's anemic. It's not that serious though. anyway, thanks for this.
maggie1972

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 02:37 am
@PUNKEY,
Yes, she has been really stressed these weeks because of an exam coming up. she also has anxiety and she's anemic which explains why she faints most of the time. It's nothing serious though.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 06:18 am
@maggie1972,
So her anemia is contributing. That's something that can be controlled more easily than stress. Google high iron foods (they aren't always meat) and work together with your daughter on a plan to get her to eat right. If she's anemic much of the time, then it'll be worse during her periods. So addressing that should help, and these are good habits for her to get into, anyway.

As for school stress, I totally get it. I was stressed in high school and remember it all too well. You can help with helping her arrange for tutoring for any subjects which are particularly difficult, or just be a sounding board if she wants to talk about it.
0 Replies

JenellCave12

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2018 10:41 am
Fainting may have a variety of causes. A simple episode, also called a vasovagal attack or neurally-mediated syncope, is the most common type of fainting spell. It is most common in children and young adults. A vasovagal attack happens because blood pressure drops, reducing circulation to the brain and causing loss of consciousness. Typically an attack occurs while standing and is frequently preceded by a sensation of warmth, nausea, light headedness and visual "grayout." If the syncope is prolonged, it can trigger a seizure.
0 Replies