Do Not Insert Into Ear Canal!

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 10:19 am
Despite the "warning" on the box, what else do you use Q-Tips for? Most of us ignore the "warning" and go digging around in our ears, thinking that we are far to smart and careful to do any damage...some idiot must have hurt himself which is why we are now not suppose to insert Q-Tips into our ears......Well, my friend, take the warning to heart from now on...

I was sitting in my office with an itchy ear. I remembered seeing a box of Q-Tips in the ladies room and so off I go to scratch my ear. I was blissfully rolling the Q-tip around in my ear when SNAP! the end of the Q-Tip broke off! Yes, the Q-Tip broke off with the cotton end in my ear! I got the one shoddy Q-tip in the box. The one without the reinforced stick, I guess. Thankfully, I don't shove it way in there so that I would have had to run to my doctors office with my head held low to have him remove the Q-tip tip that was lodged in my ear. I was able to tip my head to the side and let the tip fall out. Talk about freaking out.

So now I know the reason why you Do Not Insert Into Ear Canal! A lesson has been learned today.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,970 • Replies: 22
No top replies

RiNgPoPs N gLoWsTiCkS

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 04:16 pm
actually you are not supposed to put q-tips into your ear due to the fact that the ends of the q-tips are made of 100% cotton and when we go to clean our ears we are scrathing the sides of the ear canal which can eventually lead to an outer ear infection, which seriously hurt like a bitch when u don't have medical insurance and no cash for antibiotics.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 04:38 pm
The smallest thing you should ever use to clean the ear canal is a damp washcloth wrapped around your elbow.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 04:40 pm
I can't hear you.
I've got an elbow in my ear.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 04:44 pm
I'll get jp to sign that to you.
0 Replies

RiNgPoPs N gLoWsTiCkS

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 05:13 pm
hey im new.......how do u guys do things around here?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 05:17 pm
what do they make the damn things for then - lol
0 Replies

RiNgPoPs N gLoWsTiCkS

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 05:31 pm
they originally made them for cleaning ears and a recent study (conducted in early '04) found the defects in q-tips and fought to take them of store shelves, but later found that people use them as swabs.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 05:38 pm
RiNgPoPs_N_gLoWsTiCkS wrote:
they originally made them for cleaning ears and a recent study (conducted in early '04) found the defects in q-tips and fought to take them of store shelves, but later found that people use them as swabs.

Every time I hear the word swab, it reminds me of pirates swabbing the deck! "Hey Joe, go get us another pack of them swabs so we can finish this foredeck, will ya? Arg, matey!"
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 05:43 pm
< the men in white coats race into the room and grab Lady J. She keeps screaming, "But I am a pirate! I am I tell you!" as they drag her, kicking and screaming, from the room.>
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 05:46 pm
RiNgPoPs_N_gLoWsTiCkS wrote:
hey im new.......how do u guys do things around here?

Welcome to AK then Ringpops! It's a pleasure to have you hear and I am happy to see that you are jumping right in to get the feel of things. How do we do things around here.....hmmmm....good question!

As I am sure you noticed when logging on that there is a list of a TON of different forums. When you feel like it, I would suggest taking a looksee and see if there is anything in any of those that interest you and if so, you can post to it. A lot of folks don't do that and we end up with a lot of overlapping, same subject threads.

You of course, can look at all the news posts for the day, by clicking on that topic in your upper right hand corner and see if you want to participate in any of those threads. Or you can simply start your own thread on a topic or subject that you have interest in and then others will come and read your thread.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask... a Great source of info if you need help is our fabulous leader and his dedicated associates that can be found under the word Help located at the very, very bottom of each page on the right hand side.!

Have fun, enjoy and again, welcome aboard, matey! :wink:
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 05:48 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
< the men in white coats race into the room and grab Lady J. She keeps screaming, "But I am a pirate! I am I tell you!" as they drag her, kicking and screaming, from the room.>

Dang it Gus!! Did you tattle on me? I always wanted to be a pirate wench too....right alongside Johnny Depp. :wink:
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 08:31 am
The reason you aren't suppose to put Qtips in your ears (and it's been around forever) is because you actually end up pushing the wax into your ear and it compacts, causing some temporary hearing loss and if water gets behind there or nasty bacteria, you get an inner ear infection.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 09:00 am
and i thought you were not supposed to stick them in your ear because it felt good and you might do it again
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 09:10 am
What Bella said, yep.

The ear has its own way of getting wax out and if you push it in with a q-tip (even if you don't realize you are) that bolloxes everything up.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 09:13 am
shewolfnm wrote:
and i thought you were not supposed to stick them in your ear because it felt good and you might do it again

agreed - I like a dry ear also after my shower
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 09:16 am
I am horrible with Q-tips.. I shove them in my ears... maybe thats why I am going deaf... ok well not deaf.. I have perfect hearing but somedays it isn't as good as others!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:04 am
Crazielady420 wrote:
I am horrible with Q-tips.. I shove them in my ears... maybe thats why I am going deaf... ok well not deaf.. I have perfect hearing but somedays it isn't as good as others!

Go get your ears cleaned by a dr. It is gross what comes out. Shocked
0 Replies

RiNgPoPs N gLoWsTiCkS

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:15 am
Bella Dea wrote:
The reason you aren't suppose to put Qtips in your ears (and it's been around forever) is because you actually end up pushing the wax into your ear and it compacts, causing some temporary hearing loss and if water gets behind there or nasty bacteria, you get an inner ear infection.

thats actually why u r not supposed to insert them into the ear canal, but a recent study shows that u r not even supposed to touch the put a q-tip up to ur ear at all b/c of the scratches caused by the cotton ends, trust me the doctor told me
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:16 am
Scratch the outside of your ear with cotton? I scratch my ear with my fingernail and it doesn't hurt. Hm.
0 Replies