Stop responding to trolls

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 10:46 am
I don't get it. There is a poster now posting the same repetitive nonsense on multiple threads. This is part of having an open forum, I get that. What I don't get is why people feel they need to respond. On every thread people are arguing point by point against arguments that they know are ridiculous.

When someone is being ridiculous on multiple threads, the best thing to do is ignore it. People trying to fight idiocy with reason is unreasonable.

These posts are a part of being in a fairly open forum... but if people will just stop responding, we can avoid these annoying diversions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 2,943 • Replies: 40

View best answer, chosen by maxdancona
rosborne979

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 11:18 am
@maxdancona,
I thought you were a self-proclaimed Troll... are you jealous of the other Troll? Is he exceeding your Trollishness? Smile (just kidding you Max)
camlok

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 11:24 am
@maxdancona,
Max , this stands as your pinnacle of hypocrisy, dishonesty, hatred of free speech, perfidy, and many other similar synonyms.

Quote:
This is part of having an open forum, I get that. What I don't get is why people feel they need to respond.

What is really telling, Max, is that the responses from the people you are appealing to are empty, vacuous, childish, not at all on topic, simply full of the usual US propagandist memes.

Max the physicist can't illustrate the "errors" in what I post. You always flee, Max, which, again, illustrates that you are not to be trusted.

You will never get it, Max, because you don't actually believe in free speech and all that it entails. To most of you it's just another piece of crap that you use to try to convince yourself and others that the US is something special.

0 Replies

camlok

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 11:25 am
@rosborne979,
Another of the faux scientists responds.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 11:31 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

I thought you were a self-proclaimed Troll... are you jealous of the other Troll? Is he exceeding your Trollishness? Smile (just kidding you Max)

Yes I am! And, as such I speak with authority on the topic.

There have been many times that people started attacking me when they thought I was trolling. Naturally, then I had to defend myself leading to a back and forth of escalating personal insults that can last for pages.

Anyone who thinks I am trolling should just ignore me. That way, after one or two posts expressing my opinion, I go away.

Of course, in my mind all my posts are on target to the discussion of the thread (trolling is in the eye of the offended). Still, just ignoring me is the best way to get me to finish with a thread and in any case will avoid the pages of personal insults that don't do anyone any good.

If people think I am trolling, or if for any reason they don't want to engage with what I am saying, they should simply ignore me. I say that sincerely.
camlok

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 11:36 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Anyone who thinks I am trolling should just ignore me.

A2K is made up of trolls. The entire McCain thread was full of trolls spouting the usual propaganda about service to our nation and other BS.

There were few there heaping accolades on war criminal McCain, likely because they know full well, as do you, that he was a vicious war criminal who should have been hung decades ago.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 11:37 am
@maxdancona,
The biggest sin of the current troll is that he is boring as hell. He is posting the same bellicose nonsense in thread after thread with no creativity or even humor. This is his right. I am willing to engage with almost any point of view... as long as the people involved interest me.

I just wish people would stop turning every thread into pages and pages of the same personal insults in thread after thread.

Unless you truly enjoy these repetitive mud slinging threads (in which cases I suppose I will have to just acccpt it), we should all just ignore the troll.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 11:43 am
@maxdancona,
For the record, I never thought you were a real Troll, at least not the way I define a Troll. I think you are trying to make a point about not dismissing unusual viewpoint and you frequently take the counter-position just to demonstrate your larger point. Either that, or you're just a not-so-good Troll in training.

0 Replies

camlok

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 11:46 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The biggest sin of the current troll is that he is boring as hell.

It's not that it bores you, Max, it simply is too much cognitive dissonance for a group of brains raised on US/western propaganda.

You know this. Your childish "Ok, whatever" kind of attitude isn't how a responsible adult/a parent who brags about how well he is raising his daughter is supposed to act.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 11:54 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
The biggest sin of the current troll is that he is boring as hell.
"Boring as hell" is actually my measurement criteria for putting people on ignore. I don't put people on ignore because I disagree with them, but I do put them on ignore if their posts are so brain-dead useless that I can't waste time even reading them. Selective use of the Ignore feature... highly recommended.
camlok

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 11:59 am
@rosborne979,
So transparently dishonest, ros. You know exactly why you have come to this thread. To give you a chance at potshots from the peanut gallery.

Also so transparently dishonest, ros.

You make such a pretense of being interested in science but you don't want to hear what 3000 plus architects and engineers, hundreds of other scientists have to say about something you have closed your mind on.

That isn't a person who holds science in high regard, ros, that's a coward, afraid to face reality.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 12:11 pm
@rosborne979,
Well and good. I do the same, and for the same reasons. Yet, two of mine show up as the most recent poster, and I innocently open the thread, expecting to see other posts as well. Un un. I've seen up to five 'ignored user' consecutive posts. This might as well be five offers for Male Enhancement for all the value it is to me.
camlok

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 12:27 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I've seen up to five 'ignored user' consecutive posts. This might as well be five offers for Male Enhancement for all the value it is to me.

Guess who shows up - Roger, who believes in free speech, Roger, who loves to get in on these coffee table clatch gossip threads.

Shoot for something that might help you upstairs, Rog.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 12:29 pm
@roger,
Unfortunately, unfortunately, I don't inherit anything in Nigeria anymore, and I also don't get any more offers about cheap male enhancements.

So I don't put these posters on ignore, but read them with as much interest as I study the daily prices of the livestock exchange in our local paper.
thack45

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 12:30 pm
@roger,
/tangent
Do you guys get the radio commercial that starts with "When did it become okay for men to be lazy..."? The commercial goes on to offer a cheap and easy (lazy) means for men to "get back to greatness". I think it's one of the ones who advise that if their product works too well, you'd better decrease dosage. Just top to bottom marketing perfection
/end tangent
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 12:36 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I don't have anyone on ignore. But, I have figured out that I can't force someone to see something that I see is obvious. If I choose to interact with someone online, it is for some reason. Either I agree with them, I disagree but I find their point of view interesting, or I want to express my perspective to a broader audience on an issue I find interesting.

There is no way to shut someone up here, nor is there a way to convince someone that their views are illogical... These pages of yelling where no one accomplishes anything are tedious.

You can always choose to simply not respond. Very often this is the best choice for everyone involved.
camlok

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 12:39 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
the livestock exchange ... .

That seems to be where you get the material for your posts, Walter.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 12:40 pm
@maxdancona,
Still wrong but Nevertheless Max persisted.
maporsche

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 12:52 pm
@camlok,
camlok wrote:

Still wrong but Nevertheless Max persisted.

Nevertheless indeed.

To some people Camlok is completely sensical. To others he’s boring as hell.

People may say the same thing about Max and they could be right. They could say the same thing about me or any of us.

I just find it funny that Max (of all he people) is the one to want to silence this voice, as he has lambasted almost all of us for being in cliques and unwilling to discuss or recognize the minority views.
camlok

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 01:00 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
I just find it funny that Max is the one to want to silence this voice, as he has lambasted almost all of us for being in cliques and unwilling to discuss or recognize the minority views.

You spent much of the last week trying to do the same thing, maporsche. Aren't you now trying to personally attack Max? Will a Max the troll thread soon follow.

You all keep attacking me personally even though I provide sources for my positions. Obviously you don't like my take but the historical record is clear - the US has illegally invaded myriad nations, slaughtered tens of millions, stolen untold wealth.

You folks whine about China and Russia but their invasions are miniscule in number compared to the US. You whine about despots but all the US has ever done is install despots, ie. in the poor defenseless countriesI it would never try it in countries that could counter the US propaganda, that have power of their own.
0 Replies