regionalism in american, good or bad?

Robby

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 07:52 am
What about the difference between Dallas and Fort Worth Texas
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:06 pm
Robby, welcome to a2k!
Tell me about the difference between Dallas and Fort Worth. Both my parents were from Texas, but I've only visited a couple of times.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 11:17 pm
regionalism in american, good or bad?
I just got back from South Carolina. 1,000 miles in 18 hours. Anyway we stopped for breakfast on the North/South Carolina border. There was a black family eating in the next booth. I stepped out for a cigarette before continuing as did the father of the family. I'm a blabber so started talking to about travel. His Mom's bithday was the reason for the journey. I was going down to see my son and grandchildren. I'm one of nine kids. He was one of eleven.
You should have heard how warmly he talked of his family. Like me there was not a bad one in the group. We talked for about 20 minutes and it left me with such a pleasurable feeling. People are people wherever you go. Serendipity.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:08 am
What a great topic this is. I enjoy noticing the regional differences in all of us, too, and have wondered about the correlation between regional attitudes and behaviors and the surrounding land, weather, etc. It seems to me that even though we're all sort of melding together in many ways, the physical surroundings and sounds and climate will always have a major influence on behaviors and attitudes.
In my own personal experience, I find it interesting to go from the reasonably large city where I live to the far reaches of the wilderness (or, well, even a small country town). I find it easy to sink into the easy going lifestyle of the country...but when I get bored or irritated that I can't get groceries past 8PM and want to go back home, it's strangely unnerving to get back into the traffic and noise and impatience of the city. I also like BobSmyth's observation that we all seem to figure out how to communicate no matter where we're from. That's one thing that unites us as a vast, regionally different country, maybe. Well, look at boards like this one for proof of that!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 09:40 pm
I just found this topic and am still at the end of page one in my look at the posts. I can barely wait to respond with my usual incoherence, but I will forebear except to say that dys' question is a fine one, with lots of nuances assumed or hoped for in the answers.
0 Replies