Puerto Rico - what is it?

dov1953

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 11:51 pm
Is Puerto Rico "in", "part of", "affiliated with" or just as a territory of the United States in a legal sense? Are the people of Puerto Rico American citizens?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,217 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 12:16 am
Territory, I believe, like Guam. US citizens, with non voting representatives in Congress. That's off the top of the head, but probably not way off.
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 01:07 am
I don't know it is possible for the Federal Government, with a straight face, to actually tell certain American citizens that they do not have the right to vote; like the Puerto Ricans (in Puerto Rico) and people who have committed felonies. The denial of the vote to felonys is not authorized in the Constitution and as for denying the vote to Puerto Ricans, how can they possibly ignore the "taxation without representation" campaign of the early American Revolution. You would think the Commonwealth would take the Federal Government to Federal Court. Voting is absolutely primary to an authentic democracy.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 01:09 am
Sorry, Dov. I thought it was a request for information. I didn't know I was walking blindly into a political issue, which is perhaps where the Q should have been posted.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 04:08 am
Sort of like the Washington, D.C., citizens who can vote but not for a voting representative in Congress.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 03:49 pm
dov1953 wrote:
I don't know it is possible for the Federal Government, with a straight face, to actually tell certain American citizens that they do not have the right to vote; like the Puerto Ricans (in Puerto Rico) and people who have committed felonies. The denial of the vote to felonys is not authorized in the Constitution and as for denying the vote to Puerto Ricans, how can they possibly ignore the "taxation without representation" campaign of the early American Revolution. You would think the Commonwealth would take the Federal Government to Federal Court. Voting is absolutely primary to an authentic democracy.

You need to reread your copy of the Constitution. It very clearly says that the represenatives in both houses of the Congress will be elected by members of their respective STATES. It also very clearly says that the STATES will appoint represenatives that will act as electors for the President. While there is no provision allowing for denial of their right to vote there is also no provision that includes their vote in any official tally for any Federal office. They are free to vote to their hearts content.

Puerto Rico is not, and never has been, a State. The people of Puerto Rico are allowed non-voting members in the Congress as a courtsey. They could choose to sue for not being allowed to vote but they don't have any legal basis for their claim and could very well find themselves stripped of their US Citzenship and all ties with the US cut. If they want representation then the legal process for them to obtain it is to attain statehood.

The Constitution tells the States to establish the rules for voting within their states as long as the clauses and Amendments that provide for any citizen, regardless of their race, color, creed or sex, who has attained the age of 18 is not violated. The Constitution doesn't need to have any provisions that disallow a felon's vote. The Constitional provisions allow the individual states to make that decision. (That whole pesky 10th Amendment thing..) Some States allow felons to vote, others don't. That's up to each State to decide.
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2003 01:27 am
explanation
Roger, I'm sorry, it seems as if I offended you a bit. My request was for information, bearing in mind that I didn't really know the answer to my question; I had guessed. I just threw out my opinion and was comfortable with exchanging innocent comments with others. Dov
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 09:45 pm
Rolling Eyes Mr./Ms. Fishin': Your explanation seems completely logical and complete. I think though that it can be argued that to participate in a democracy is an inalienable right. That amendment you refer to, I believe, also might be used to argue for universal voting rights. It says specifically that the people possess rights that are not enumerated. I think also that you are disregarding the influence of the two arguments often used; the "framers" intent and English common law. Both, outside the Constitution, are given semi-official status and influence court rulings. If I have a single influence that forms my opinion on universal voting rights, is voting is a basic, fundamental element of civilization that can not be ignored. As for example knowing the alphabet has got to be the first gate into the world of literature. As slavery is illegal, that women are equal, that the inalterable structure of the United States rests on freedom and equal representation. This is a delusion but it is the fodder holding up the walls of our country. If I have gone on too long, excuse me. Dov
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 07:46 am
Dov
The Puerto Ricans have been given three choices. Statehood, Independence or Commonwealth. They have chosen Commonwealth. Therefore they have no gripe when they have to live under the laws regarding that status.
FYI they are US citizens. Should they move to the states they are free to register and vote just as any other citizen.
0 Replies