MiTHoS

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:55 am
I've been sittin back and listenin to all this crap and whatnot and have come to a conclusion that most people have already come to: This is STUPID! Rex you're right in some ways and in other ways the "God Squad" is right. I believe there is a middle ground, and you should find it. Just a side note, someone should just shut this forum down cause its gettin repetitive. I probably repeated about a billion things in what I just said.

Oh, and P.S.- I like the hint about who lefty is; it isn't obvious or anything.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 09:23 am
Quote:
I probably repeated about a billion things in what I just said.

You did. Smile
0 Replies

Rex the Wonder Squirrel

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 12:07 pm
Quote:
Rex you're right in some ways and in other ways the "God Squad" is right.

I like how you post your opinion of who you think is right without any basis or any fact or anything at all to justify it. I can say I poop diamonds and that doesn't mean it's true. Wish it did, though.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 12:25 pm
Rex the Wonder Squirrel wrote:
I can say I poop diamonds and that doesn't mean it's true. Wish it did, though.

HA HA HA!!! I laughed so hard at that....!! Laughing Laughing

Good one!
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 12:49 pm
Thanks for the summary, lefty. I'm still waiting for a summary from "the other side", but I think I can say that while this fellow had ample cause to question their beliefs, especially if, as stated, they were "shoving their religion down people's throats", he did not have enough cause to attack them with these questions.
I'm always in favor of a debate, especially about religion, but I detest it when people take debates personally. I would respectfully suggest that the questioner(My guess is it's Rex, but I could be wrong) should avoid religious newbies :wink: and instead hold discussions here. We don't often get anywhere concrete, but the debates themselves are very fun. As far as your school situation goes, I would suggest a detente wherein the two sides would meet face to face and agree not to bring up the subject again. Find another way to discover the truth...and restore peace to the land. Laughing
And Rex: Hilarious. I'm still at the excreting gold stage. Very Happy
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 01:18 pm
It wasn't Rex, that did the questioning, though he did do a lot of the defending and made very good points throughout the whole ordeal.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 01:23 pm
Ah, gotcha. Thanks. Who did the questioning, then? (I'm asking their screen name, not their actual name.) I'd like to ask why he came on so strongly, and I would also like to ask "his side" for some examples of the girls' "forcing religion", since that's the only part that hasn't been specifically explored.
Thanks again for the info, thunder.
0 Replies

Rex the Wonder Squirrel

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 05:08 pm
innerpeace is his screen name, though I doubt you'll get much out of him-- he's basically moved on, and I don't even know if he's around these parts much anymore.

lefty06 wrote:
They are very willing to do this, but no one that is against the girls seems to want to.

I even took time out of my day to stop by at lunch to talk to them, since they lashed out at me at a very inopportune time saying that I had no "dignity", but they were nowhere to be found. Dignity my rear end.

lefty06 wrote:
So then we had spring break and the stuff on here died out and pretty much people haven't talked about it as much. This is very dangerous, as nothing has been resolved, and both parties seem to just be ignoring the conflict at this point. This won't work for very long, as we are classmates and see each other almost daily.

Something is going to explode. We need to set a date, sit down and talk about it. Anyone who doesn't show up gets a "I have no dignity" button.
0 Replies

lefty06

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 05:37 pm
Alright, sorry Rex, I didn't know you had confronted them. That was good to do. And you can bet I'll be there(if possible; baseball is almost always after school now.) I don't want a no dignity button.
0 Replies

lefty06

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 05:41 pm
Oh yeah, innerpeace is no longer with us. I believe his IP address was deleted because of using bad language too much.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 07:10 pm
Innerpeace was the one with the Lennon Avatar, right? He seemed a bit odd.

Rex: I think that meeting is an excellent idea. Go for it tomorrow and tell us how it goes. Maybe get us a button as a souvenir. :wink:
0 Replies

Rex the Wonder Squirrel

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 07:20 pm
NOTICE: We're going to have a meeting soon to discuss this. Bring your brain and something to write with. Check your weapons at the door. That is all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:30 pm
Well, I liked the lennon avatar but not all the words after.
0 Replies

MiTHoS

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 08:27 am
Oh, I'm sorry for not explaining myself fully, rex. I'll justify what I said. First, I agree with you that the "God Sqaud" has gone overboard and I definitely think they take things too seriously and take offense to anything said about them. But, I somewhat sympathize with the "God Squad" because it seems like they're being ganged up on. At the least they stand up for what they beleive in; at least they haven't changed their minds a few times because of what everyone is sayin.
And by the way, about that meeting, we can't bring our shotguns? Are any weapons allowed? I'll try not to get too mad.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 10:39 am
They were never persecuted for what they believe, only how they believe and why they believe. Is it possible that the reason they were ganged up on, is because they were wrong? And everyone else knew it?
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 11:57 am
Osso: I meant the man behind the avatar. Lennon rocks. Razz
0 Replies

Rex the Wonder Squirrel

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 12:24 pm
Quote:
At the least they stand up for what they beleive in; at least they haven't changed their minds a few times because of what everyone is sayin.

They say that they are Christians, but they don't act it. They claim to hold dearly to a doctrine, yet break it in their attempts to "witness". Worst of all, it's not that they cannot answer questions posed to them, but then that in response to those questions they get red in the face and start crying.

I respect the search for truth. I have no respect for the claim to know the truth with absolutely no backing whatsoever.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 12:28 pm
Very well said.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 12:29 pm
Rex said:
Quote:
it's not that they cannot answer questions posed to them, but then that in response to those questions they get red in the face and start crying.

Shocked Seriously? Wow. I wouldn't have guessed that level of terror in the face of the truth was possible. While you're here, Rex, what's the "other side's" version of what happened? I've got the girls'(or at least someone in support of the girls), but I never got the full story from the other side's perspective. Do you know it?

Also, on a side note, how did you manage to get an avatar that size? I've been going crazy trying to find one that looks good at the tiny regulated size. Thanks.
0 Replies

Rex the Wonder Squirrel

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 04:07 pm
Quote:
Seriously? Wow. I wouldn't have guessed that level of terror in the face of the truth was possible.

They were bawling. Absolutely bawling. Either they 1. wanted attention, which doesn't seem far-fetched, since now they're flaunting about how they're being "persecuted" for their God and "triumphing", or they 2. honestly can't handle the truth.

Quote:
While you're here, Rex, what's the "other side's" version of what happened? I've got the girls'(or at least someone in support of the girls), but I never got the full story from the other side's perspective. Do you know it?

It would probably be best for one of the people from the "other side" to tell you, but since inner-peace is banned and such, I suppose I could summarize it. Keep in mind this is a brief overview, and it's very likely that I won't touch everything.

Without delving too much into a backstory, a few months ago a trickle of people from our school began attending youth group the church I had been attending for years. This in itself is hardly a bad thing-- even if it was apparent that the guys in this new group were going for the, uh, wrong reasons, if you catch my drift. However, this soon began growing out of hand.

Suddenly they began organizing themselves at school-- into cliques, eating lunch exclusively and putting up the "high and mighty" front. This began pushing people away, for when they talked of God it was always "their God"...if you catch the drift. Most of these chicks are the "popular" kind anyway, with big houses and daddies with fat pocketbooks, so they already are "elevated" above the rest of the population. Add in the aura of self-righteousness and BAM!...we're lucky this isn't the 1100's or they would be setting out on a Crusade.

However, when it came time to defend their faith against others, when debates sprang up, what did these people do? That's right, no where to be found. I can't tell you how many class periods I had, in which "God Squad" members were in as well, in which I was the only vocal person supporting the Christian side. Especially on abortion...my goodness was that a nightmare.

Anyways, at about this same time, inner-peace began questioning his own faith. I myself was happy for the guy, since we had most always been friends and he was always smart but more of a goofball instead of someone who liked to think deeply, and there he was thinking deeply. However, when he began posing questions to the girls, they backed away. Which prompted him to explode, and sending them into a crying frenzy.

Now the girls are showcasing even more of the flawed characteristics in how they're handling the situation-- calling people on the other side cowards, saying that people like me in the middle have "no dignity", and continuing on their self-righteous rampage in which everyone not fully agreeing them are bigots who are "persecuting" them. One of the girls called me at my house and wanted to set up a meeting in which we would formulate a devotion for FCA that week to help flesh out the problems...but the next day at school made a sly comment to thunder_runner32 about he and I. Needless to say I didn't show up for our "meeting".

inner-peace had been suspended for a bit because of his outburst, but then was suspended even more because of the ridiculous actions of the "God Squad"-- one of the mothers of one of the girls was looking at inner-peace's Xanga (Hmm, I wonder why) and printed off the picture he had on there, in which he was holding his airsoft gun. She gave it to the principal, and he only recently came back to school. So there are overractive parents to boot.

So now, like lefty said, everything is more or less calm at the moment. I personally haven't been to that youth group for a good handful of weeks now, partly because the youth pastor was on Part 20-something of a series aimed basically at the kids from my school and other reasons, not the least of which is because I don't like being in the presence of those girls.

Quote:
Also, on a side note, how did you manage to get an avatar that size? I've been going crazy trying to find one that looks good at the tiny regulated size. Thanks.

Took a pic to Photoshop, cropped it, resized it, and there you see it.
0 Replies