My son is suffering from sleep paralysis. What should I do?

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2018 01:56 am
For the past week, my son has been suffering from sleep paralysis. I don’t know if this is normal but having to deal with it for how many days is not normal anymore. My 15 year old kid kept on telling me that he’s having nightmares and bad dreams, which I don’t like. I read an article in a foreign site talking about the death of a girl who had a sleep paralysis. Please tell me what should I do. My son is at risk here. Hear me please.

blatham

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2018 06:00 am
@worriedDAD,
Quote:
Sleep researchers conclude that, in most cases, sleep paralysis is simply a sign that your body is not moving smoothly through the stages of sleep. Rarely is sleep paralysis linked to deep underlying psychiatric problems.
https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/sleep-paralysis#1

If by the term "sleep paralysis" you mean the feeling of being awake yet totally unable to move a muscle, this is something that I have suffered now and again throughout my life. There are no negative consequences.

When we sleep, the body produces a chemical which keeps our muscles from moving so that when we are dreaming of running or jumping or diving or swinging a baseball bat or throwing out a fist, our bodies remain immobile so that we don't hurt ourselves or those around us. All mammals, I believe, are the same as us. It's a natural process even if it can be quite terrifying. I once saw a video of a science experiment where a kitten was deprived of this particular chemical and while the kitten was sleeping on his side, his legs were going a mile a minute because, it seems, the kitten was dreaming of running.

As to bad dreams, we all have those.

Have your son read the information at the link I sent. And you can search for more as well.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2018 06:32 am
@worriedDAD,
To add to what blatham suggested, contact your son's pediatrician if it concerns you. My father gets sleep paralysis on and off and originally we thought it was a stroke or TIAs (essentially, those are mini-strokes). He didn't have either, just sleep paralysis. But a workup with a neurologist, if it helps everyone with peace of mind, then go for it.

And talk to your son about his dreams but also about what's going on in his waking life. Is he in summer school, afraid he'll fail? In summer camp and afraid of the high dive? Is he being bullied? Continuing bad dreams (note: I am not a doctor) might be a sign of some stress during his waking hours. Certainly broaching the subject can't hurt.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2018 11:57 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
afraid of the high dive

now look what you did

maybe my fav short doc ever
chai2

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2018 12:09 pm
@ehBeth,
No way could I jump off that tower. However I also could not have just walked back to the ladder and climbed down.

I would be fine if a crane or helicopter lifted me off it.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2018 01:46 pm
https://able2know.org/topic/121422-1
0 Replies

radhika520

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2019 07:19 am
Most people need no treatment for sleep paralysis. The main treatment for sleep paralysis is going to bed at the same time every night, ensuring a comfortable sleep environment free of distractions.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2019 12:02 pm
@worriedDAD,
Magnesium strengthens muscles, calms nerves, stops cramps, and fights infections. Get epsom salt. It is cheap, five bux for a year's supply. Put a dose in a glass with water to cover and stir until it dissolves. Fill the glass with lemonade and drink it. You can take it without the lemonade but you won't like the taste. Milk of magnesia is more expensive but nicer tasting and gentler laxative action. Your choice.

Magnesium deficiency is very common among American youngsters. So is calcium deficiency. A Tums and a glass of warm milk at bed time will greatly improve sleep.
0 Replies