Is Laughter a Really Good Medicine?

Linkat

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 03:31 pm
How do you feel after you have a really good laugh? One of those belly laughs where you are crying and ready to pee your pants. Do you really feel better? Physically I am not so sure…usually I have a huge tummy ache, but emotionally I feel re-energized.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 925 • Replies: 14
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 03:37 pm
There was just something about how it actually physically helps the heart -- lemme see if I can find it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 03:40 pm
Here we go:

Quote:
Laughter may be good for your heart. A new study demonstrates that laughing causes the tissue that forms the inner lining of blood vessels, the endothelium, to expand and thereby increase blood flow - exactly what aerobic exercise does.

In a study presented yesterday at the meeting of the American College of Cardiology in Orlando, researchers had 20 healthy volunteers watch a 15-minute segment from "Kingpin," a 1996 Woody Harrelson comedy, and then 48 hours later view the opening battle scene from "Saving Private Ryan," the 1998 war movie starring Tom Hanks.

After each movie was shown, researchers used ultrasound to measure changes in blood vessel reactivity. On average, blood flow increased 22 percent after the Harrelson movie, comparable to the increase brought on by aerobic exercise, and decreased 35 percent after "Saving Private Ryan."

While a comedy can be good for people, a stress-inducing movie can have a negative effect on cardiac health, said Dr. Michael Miller, the lead author of the study.

"There is great variability among people," Dr. Miller said, "but anything that evokes an emotional response has an impact on the heart" and the impact can be negative as well as positive.

Dr. Miller speculates that laughter induces the release of beneficial endorphins, just as exercise does. But don't hang up the sneakers yet.

"Laughter may help reduce the need to run marathons," said Dr. Miller. "But we don't recommend replacing exercise with laughter as a public health measure."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/08/health/08reac.html
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 03:46 pm
Man and here I thought I could give up running for 5 miles for an hour of laughter instead.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 01:38 pm
I have always believed laughter is wonderful for ones overall mental health as well. I think the same endorphins decrease the severity of mental and emotional stressors in our brains, helping us to relax and cope better with every day life. I could be wrong, but it works for me. Smile
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 01:40 pm
Oh god, I love that feeling. All tousseled and breathless....kind of like after sex. Very Happy

But yes, I love it. I love especially when my husband and I BOTH get into laughing fits and can't stop. That's some of the best bonding we've ever had.
Very Happy
0 Replies

5600hp

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 07:48 am
Laugh is good, but for some people, like myself for eg, laughter is hard to come by. So laughter is cool and all, but the problem is how to get one, for millions(I guess) of depressed people. I wish I can laugh, haven't done that for......must be more than a year...

Maybe people who can't laugh should find somebody to tickle'em ......which brings another question, is "artificial" laugh as good for you as "real" laugh..... I guess it is.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 08:25 am
They say that forcing yourself to smile actually releases some of the "feel good" chemicals that real smiling releases. So I guess a fake laugh would be better than no laugh at all.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 08:31 am
Yep.

Years back, when I had a job I hated, I'd make myself grin on the elevator on the way up (er, given that I was alone.) Even though I felt extremely grumpy and unsmiling when I started, I always felt better by the time I reached my floor.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 08:40 am
5600hp wrote:
Laugh is good, but for some people, like myself for eg, laughter is hard to come by. So laughter is cool and all, but the problem is how to get one, for millions(I guess) of depressed people. I wish I can laugh, haven't done that for......must be more than a year...

That's sad. I laugh at least four times a week (no matter what worries I can have). I've no health problems.

5600hp wrote:
Maybe people who can't laugh should find somebody to tickle'em ......which brings another question, is "artificial" laugh as good for you as "real" laugh..... I guess it is.

Artificial laugh is good and often leads to natural laugh.

There are more and more "laugh clubs" and associations here for "laughtherapy". It seems they are working great.
People like you keep going there and feeling better and better.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 08:42 am
I love to laugh...and to get others laughing. Sometimes, when I read threads and posts from Gus, I burst out laughing!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 08:53 am
I'd say get a pet. They make you laugh without even trying.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 09:03 am
I love to laugh - a few times a year I get into one of those laugh zones - that rip the hell out of me - I worry if I don't stop laughing I might actually passout or have a heart attack from laughing so hard and long.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 09:26 am
I usually have a good chuckle at a few things each day.
The last thing i really chuckled at was a mini bit of footage of a friend trying to go into a cold swimming pool.Sooo funny!!

One night I got a bit drunk and watched one of my favourite comedy programmes.It must have been the drink coz I laughed like id never laughed before, I felt its funniness so strongly.It was like Id found my funny 'g-spot'.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:10 am
Laugh clubs! That sounds awesome.

I once read a poster at my doctor’s office about laughter and the health benefits. It also stated that children laugh something along the lines like 100 times a day while adults laugh maybe just a few times a day. I know that simply chasing my little girls around causes squeals of laughter throughout the house. Also, last night, I let my girls take a bath together and they simply spent the time splashing at each other and laughing hysterically. I am jealous. I would love to be able to laugh as much as a child.
0 Replies