Confrontation and respect

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2018 12:04 pm
Hi , first of all i am a 30 y.o man , single , PhD and an engineer. My problem is i am a pacifistic person just like my dad is contrary to my mother . Me and my father are not the kind of men who would stay strong and never back up when in conversational confrontation with a man . I have felt it when we worked with a contractor that was somehow not an easy person and radiated that vibe of a tough man if i may say. We used to back down pretty easily and this frustrates me . In every confrontation, i try and find friendly resolution with men and i am easily convinced . I want to change this cuz i feel this is a weak trait and shouldn't be to prominent in strong personalities . However, i am not weak per say , in example i had arguments with my boss who was unjust to me and did not back down from my rights .
I have also noticed that men who hold eye contact are more likely to make me back down even more so when they install silence in the interaction. I think manly men in general exhibit this type of behavior which i should adopt. Also respectful men laugh and smile less , now i know doing the contrary should in theory make people like you but i believe it will bring them subconsciously to disrespect you later , as evident by people throwing jokes at me . I have had many bad episodes of bullying in my childhood and even now as a grown up man i get picked at , i am a trustworthy hold to my word nice guy why do i get disrespected often ( is it because of my physique slim guy with 1.70 m height ? or is it because of how i carry my self ?

Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 658 • Replies: 2
No top replies

bunnyhabit

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2018 12:03 am
@killswitche,
wimpy persona or personality will bait bulls and bad boys. how do you dress and walk? would you typicalfy yourself manly or feminine tendencies in clothes selection and flirting approach?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2018 05:51 pm
@killswitche,
Get yourself a coach, or coaches. Whether it be a:
- life coach
- leadership coach
- conflict coach

And I mean one that will help you go through the motions - who will not just explain how to do it to you, but help you practice, over and over again. You've gotten into bad habits that have been ingrained - retraining will take time and effort. Luckily, as both a PhD and Engineer, you should be able to afford it.

I'd go for the conflict coach first, as what you appear to want most, is learn how to be assertive.
0 Replies