Progressive Latino wins first round elections for LA mayor

ebrown p

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 12:44 pm
Quote:
... it does bug me that a group, as a race, voted him into office despite his progressive (read uber-liberal) politics, simply because of his race.

This is an awfully big presumption. You should know that Latinos are people. They (as well as the African Americans, Whites and Asians who voted for Villaraigosa) have their own thoughts and ideas and are not some mindless stereotype.

You think that maybe they might have voted him into office because of his progressive (read uber-liberal) politics?

(I know am asking you to accept mhy presumption that Latino's have some level of intelligence and even political sophistication.)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 12:55 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
(I know am asking you to accept mhy presumption that Latino's have some level of intelligence and even political sophistication.)

They do, and typically they vote quite conservatively. This is out of character, at least politically.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 01:04 pm
Quote:
Executive Vice President Lenard Liberman told the Times.... people of Mexican descent made up a large portion of the city.

this is an accurate statement

Quote:
But you just have to drive around L.A. to know that this is a Hispanic city."

this statement, however, is not.

in it's beginnings, yes, l.a. was a hispanic city. and while it does retain some of the mexican flavor that i fell in love with when i moved here, this town is anything but a city of any single ethnicity or nationality.

depending what part of town you are "driving around" in, you will conclude that l.a. is;

a hispanic city
a korean city
a japanese city
a chinese city
a persian city
an armenian city (which includes "armenians" from armenia to lebanon to cypress to jerusalem, etc.)
an english city
a russian city
an israeli city
an african city
a haitian city
a filipino city
a vietnamese city
a mexican city
a salvadoran city
a guatamalen city
and even, (gasp!) a waspy american city

on our short dead end street, we have people from nearly every country i listed. as such, our street is a very american "city". and in the way that america has received immigrants and the immigrants have made the efforts to join us, most of our neighbors speak at least passable english and we speak a couple of words in their native tongue. we all actually try to connect with each other. it seems to be working. (except for the idiots from the apartment building at the end of the street that seem to think that our street is their personal driveway and has no speed limit. gggrrrrrrrr!)

as far as the other parts of town go, over the years i have been made to feel both at home and unwelcome. some people have an open mind, others don't. some like becoming an american and others want americans to leave. depends on the person.

so you see, to call los angeles "a hispanic" city is not only inaccurate, but also displays the kind of racism that generally goes by unnoticed because it's not some white dude throwing his arms around shrieking "white power!!".

and though los angeles may have been in mexico (who stole it from the native americans ) at one time, in the year 2005 l.a. is a culturally diverse city in the southern part of california, a state in the country of america.

that's not prejudice or ideology, it's a fact.

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 01:06 pm
Quote:

Among registered Latinos, about half identify as Democrats (49%), with one-fi fth saying they are Republicans (20%) and another fifth identifying as Independents (19%). Among registered voters, Latinos are twice as likely as whites to self-identify as Democrats (49% and 24%, respectively), but less likely than African Americans (64%).

source

Not only that, most Latino citizens (not all but most) look favorably upon the very issues that you pointed out are Villaraigosa's strong points - The ability of undocumennted workers to Unionize, and restriction of handguns. But don't feel bad, many Anglos agree on these issues.

That's Democracy.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 01:24 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
The ability of undocumennted workers to Unionize, and restriction of handguns. But don't feel bad, many Anglos agree on these issues.

Sorry, only retarded people think like that. That's a HUGE LOL.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 01:49 pm
Of course CJ. Anyone who disagrees with you is retarded. Just don't call us UnAmerican.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 02:10 pm
"is i retartet cuz i sez nukyoolur?" Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 02:42 pm
Villaragoisa's support of course went much beyond the Latino community ... otherwise he would never have been elected in. The LAT has some nice maps and tables full of detail. The maps are great but would pull this page out of joint so instead click on this link. Here's the table:

http://www.latimes.com/media/graphic/2005-05/17635908.gif

And the accompanying analysis:

Quote:
Villaraigosa's Support Goes Beyond Latinos

Backing from his ethnic group made the mayor- elect's win a landslide. But, compared to 2001, his share of voters grew across the board.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 03:13 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Of course CJ. Anyone who disagrees with you is retarded. Just don't call us UnAmerican.

No, anyone who thinks undocumented ILLEGAL ALIENS should be allowed to UNIONIZE and VOTE on issues that affect real americans is retarded. And that I would never back away from.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 03:18 pm
Vote?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 03:19 pm
real americans?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 03:51 pm
Yeah, real american citizens. Your issue with that is???

In "progressive" circles, even here in San Francisco, there have been pushes to allow illegal aliens the right to vote in local elections, even on topics that affect the constitutional rights of U.S. citizens, such as the right to bear arms. That is why, I think, that ebrown brought it up.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 03:59 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Yeah, real american citizens. Your issue with that is???

America is not just the United States, even if UnitedStatians often see it that way. Everyone living in the Americas is a real American, unless you wish to refer to real Americans as the Americans that have been living in Northern, Central and South America before they were "discovered". Which I seriously doubt, because by that definition you would probably not be a real American.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 04:08 pm
Old Europe,

Cj doesn't accept that the United States is a Democracy.

Thus he is justified in his belief that Progressives (i.e. people who hold ideas he doesn't like) aren't "real Americans".

Aren't there still people who divide Europe into those who are "real Europeans" and "something else"?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 04:13 pm
nimh wrote:
Vote?

i don't remember hearing villaragosa say anything about illegals being allowed to vote. if he has, i don't agree to that.

voting must require the commitment of attaining legal citizenship.

i have no problem with upholding the human rights of illegal aliens, you know, the right to not be hit over the head with a club like a baby harp seal, etc. that's just being a decent human being.

but if you're here illegally, you really should not expect to ride the gravy train on all of the welfare services and other benefits of legal entry and naturalized citizenship.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 04:18 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Old Europe,

Cj doesn't accept that the United States is a Democracy.

Thus he is justified in his belief that Progressives (i.e. people who hold ideas he doesn't like) aren't "real Americans".

Aren't there still people who divide Europe into those who are "real Europeans" and "something else"?

Yeah, we divide Europe in "Old Europe" and .... no, wait, that was sombody else's invention....

Actually, eb, I would find it very hard to define Europe at all. Would it be the 25 EU nations? Would it be the western part of the 'Eurasian' continent? Or just the original EC states? Hard to tell. You are, of course, right, as there are people who would divide Europe into "real Europeans" (preferedly themselves) and "the others"....

Nevertheless, I find this thread very interesting, as I have friends on both sides of the 'Southern Border', but I'll probably go back to just reading what other people have to say about this issue. Very interesting, tough. Very interesting.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 05:33 pm
I suspect there is an anti-cjhsa chatroom somewhere.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:50 pm
To quote from a letter from an LA friend to another LA friend, both anglos - "We have almost too many hopes in Villaraigosa and Rosendahl, my friend.....prediction: the hangover of unrealistic expectations."
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 06:51 am
OldEurope, do the Germans get to vote for French policy and administration? Do the British get a say in Spanish politics? Do the Italians get to have a say in Greek politics? After all they are all Europeans, right?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 07:41 am
McGentrix wrote:
OldEurope, do the Germans get to vote for French policy and administration? Do the British get a say in Spanish politics? Do the Italians get to have a say in Greek politics? After all they are all Europeans, right?

Kind of off topic McGentrix,

Americans get to vote for American policy and administration, (and Agelenos get to vote for Los Angelos policy and administration).

But let's talk about this term "American" (and I use this in the "of or pertaining to the United States" sense).

Americans are white, black, Asian, Latino, and several other. Nearly half of us don't support Bush. Many of us support stronger gun control, and a fair number of us (Americans that is) support the rights of "illegal" immigrants to protect their rights in a union.

Your use of the term "American" to mean uptight, conservative, narrow-minded, anti-immigrant yahoo is offensive and wrong.

This is a thread about the election of Villaraigosa.

Villaraigosa is an American. Villaraigosa was elected by Americans to represent the interests of Americans.

So what's your problem?
0 Replies