Made me smile:a non-paywall great interview of Jonathan Gold, Culinary Geographer

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 12:47 pm
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/micah-hauser/city-of-gold-jonathan-gold_b_9464166.html

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/4108190/thumbs/o-GOLD-900.jpg

I followed his writing when he was then in New York sometimes, and followed religiously his writing for LA Weekly, and am back to once in a while reading his columns in the paywalled LA Times. Anyway, he's a strong favorite writer for me, and not just re his takes on food.

He had a sort of predecessor at the old Herald Examiner, Kit Snedeker, but interesting restaurant spotter that she was, back in the eighties, she wasn't in his league. I'd read him on any subject.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,617 • Replies: 6
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 04:34 pm
@ossobuco,
he looks kinda balmy (NO, actually he looks kinda creepy). Have any examples of his writing??

Is he on only about food? or does he have other areas of literary interest?

Even the late Mike Royko or the not late Gene Weingarten would go off on sports, fishing, cars, pop culture etc. Mike Royko would do bit bout Chicawgo street food but not more than a few times a year
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 04:44 pm
@farmerman,
I don't take him as balmy, over all these years of reading him, but I can get that you might and not disagree.

I (of course) know Royko and Weingarten.
It sort of kills me to know that lives stop.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 04:45 pm
@farmerman,
On links re his writing, that is a task I will wait on until tomorrow, but plan to execute.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 04:48 pm
@farmerman,
On links re his writing, that is a task I will wait on until tomorrow, but plan to execute.

I think he got a pulitzer, not that I give a hoot about that, but that it sounds additive.

If you read the article I linked, you will have a lot of answers to that.

Creepy? Last thing I would say about this man.

Did that photo bother you?
farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 05:02 pm
@ossobuco,
I didnt see the link at first . I finally read it qnd I must be taking back everything I said (except that he looks a bit creepy)> He seems to hit the points well, and is apparently a wider writer.

Ill have to look up some fo his stuff an read it. When I was living in Calif it was in Sacto and (gaaagh), Stockton. Stockton had some really great restqurnts (Qsin) but only writers from the BEe would cover em an these writers were more conversant with police blotters than food cause they always featured a felony along with the restaurant names..
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 05:14 pm
@farmerman,
What to say, this is a guy I admire up the kazoo.
0 Replies