cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 04:51 pm
The entire U.S. will be lost soon....
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 08:50 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
I hope Arnold can help sway this election. The last thing we need is a progressive (read, liberal commie) in charge in L.A. As if it isn't bad enough in San Francisco.

Looks like you lose, comrade...

Laughing

loogowt cjhsa... villaragosa's gonna be right up there to take yer gun and increase yer taxes.

and, oh yeah, i almost forgot. after that he's gonna force you into gay marriage. but not in a church of course, because like all saddam lovers, he's against people of faith. except for osama bin laden. for whose dialisys, you will be forced to pickup the health care tab.

Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:03 pm
Apparently my ex predicted this long ago and is now accoladed, well, heh, he is just plain calm and astute, even without me around - part of why I liked him.

My Inbox has been getting various flying opinions.
I probably would have been in V's camp. Hard to tell from here, now.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:35 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Welcome to Mexifornia. Gringo go home.

So, where are you going to move, gringo?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 11:37 pm
<<ebrown indulges in one gleeful gloat>>

cjhsa wrote:
The entire U.S. will be lost soon....

Factually Cj, we all know the U.S. was lost when Lincoln freed the slaves, and then again when your kids had to go to schools with those colored children.

But look at the bright side. You are losing the U.S., but we are winning it. That's how democracy progresses, and you just happen to be on the wrong side.

I promise we will take good care of the U.S. We will even let you stay if you want (if you don't break any of our laws).

I bet Villaraigosa is around longer then Arnold.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 11:50 pm
My ex apparently predicted this early as I am getting emails congratulating him. <politics never die, it just goes away>
He and I haven't talked about pol lately as he has a pretty interesting theater series going. Very interesting actually. I'd link to it except it would seem promotional on a2k.

Re LA politics, how fine a web are you interested in? Mayor isn't all of it...
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 01:54 am
ossobuco wrote:
Re LA politics, how fine a web are you interested in? Mayor isn't all of it...

not by a half, osso. ( hola pacito! como te va ? )

the one thing that has always, and i mean always bothered me about los angeles, is that everything here winds up being boiled down to a race issue.

it's stupid and people need to gtf over it. it's a small world, after all. that's directed at everyone, not just the usual recipients of "the racist award".

the truth is, even though it seems like a movie cliche, that people from all races are hooking up and having kids. another few hundred years and there won't be many thorough breds around.

so we should all probably get used to the idea now and save alot of time being wierded out and put our thoughts into something more worthwhile.

that said, los angeles is in america, not mexico, as the billboard claims.

guess there's enough "knock it off" to go around for everyone. Idea
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:56 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
that said, los angeles is in america, not mexico, as the billboard claims.

guess there's enough "knock it off" to go around for everyone. Idea

Think the "billboard" was Photoshopped - the part where "CA" was crossed out and Mexico pasted in instead (notice how it's a different font). Probably by somebody like cjhsa.

ebrown_p wrote:
But look at the bright side. You are losing the U.S., but we are winning it. That's how democracy progresses, and you just happen to be on the wrong side.

I promise we will take good care of the U.S. We will even let you stay if you want (if you don't break any of our laws).

Here's Oscar Garza's entry in the LA Times election blog:

Quote:
On a balmy Spring night, I watched as a bright, charismatic politician celebrated a victory that would make him the first Mexican-American mayor in his city's modern history. That was Henry Cisneros in San Antonio in 1981. [..]

As I watched Villaraigosa bask in his victory on another balmy Spring night, I couldn't help but remember comments made by Roy Barrera in a PBS documentary that I produced about Cisneros' election. Barrera, a former Texas Secretary of State, had made an unsuccessful run for mayor of San Antonio in 1973--a defeat that he ascribed to ethnic fear:

"They just feel, 'Well, the Mexicans are going to take [the city] over.' I don't know that there'd be anything wrong with Mexicans taking it over--others have had it for 100 years. And to the extent that we've been able to show--at least in this city--what they have been able to do with it, in 100 years it hasn't been too much, really."
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:01 am
Actually, I think the Billboard is just that, a Billboard. The "Mexico" thing is a little advertising gimmick to promote a Spanish radio show.

It is a little funny in its own right... The fact that anti-immigrants have got their breifs in such a bunch about it is quite entertaining.

Of course, if you are on the constant lookout for a conspiracy that foreigners are invading the US of A... it is a a different story altogether.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:16 am
Quote:
the truth is, even though it seems like a movie cliche, that people from all races are hooking up and having kids. another few hundred years and there won't be many thorough breds around

If there were ever any Very Happy I'm white, blue-eyed and used to be blond but I'm Anglo-Irish, Cornish, Welsh, French and German (the German side is Jewish). Hybrid strength Very Happy
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:22 am
nimh, the billboard wasn't photoshopped, not by me, not by anyone. That's a photograph. Check the URL.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43973

If you don't like that source then Google search it yourself. It isn't hard.

The uber-liberals on this board who love and support illegal immigration make me want to puke. I hope you wind up on the bus back to Tijuana with all of your buds.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:35 am
cjhsa wrote:
nimh, the billboard wasn't photoshopped, not by me, not by anyone. That's a photograph. Check the URL.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43973

If you don't like that source then Google search it yourself. It isn't hard.

Hmm ... I'm still not convinced - even your WorldNetDaily link captions the photo as a "Purported photo of billboard in L.A. area", noting that it was a photo a reader sent them - so it could still easily have been Photoshopped. But I give in, you're right - it could I guess also really have been an advertising gimmick. Not important enough (to me) to dig into, anyway.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:37 am
It was widely reported. Even Arnold denounced it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:40 am
OK, never mind ... you're right.

Quote:
The ad's sponsors defended the message. Executive Vice President Lenard Liberman told the Times Noticias 62 was a popular news program in Los Angeles and noted that people of Mexican descent made up a large portion of the city.

"We tell the story behind L.A., and we tell the story behind Mexico," he said. "If they find that offensive, I'm sorry. But you just have to drive around L.A. to know that this is a Hispanic city."

Quote:
Officials from KRCA-TV Channel 62, a Spanish-language station responsible for the billboards, said that 6.8 million Latinos, mostly with ties to Mexico, live in Los Angeles and are their targeted audience.

"No one is promoting illegal immigration. Everyone has to obey the laws," said Leonard Liberman, executive vice president of Burbank-based Liberman Broadcasting, which owns 16 Spanish-language radio stations and four television stations nationwide.

Liberman said the stations want audience members to feel at ease at home.

"Our newscasters cater to them. We try to make them comfortable," he said.

About 75 billboards went up last week in Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino counties, but mostly in Los Angeles County. [..]

The billboards, which can be found on the San Gabriel River (605) Freeway near Ramona and on Arrow Highway in Baldwin Park, are owned by Arizona-based Clear Channel, which leases them to customers.

Clear Channel officials, who said they received at least 60 complaints, said they are not responsible for content, said spokesman Tony Alwin.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:44 am
Los Angeles went from 500,000 latino/hispanics in 1970 to 1.7M in 2000. How is that possible without massive (illegal) immigration? It isn't.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:00 am
cjhsa wrote:
Los Angeles went from 500,000 latino/hispanics in 1970 to 1.7M in 2000. How is that possible without massive (illegal) immigration? It isn't.

And yet, Villaraigosa is an American citizen elected by American citizens under that American system of Democracy...

Anti-Immigrant clowns continually complain that immigrants are unwilling to adopt the American way of life. Putting together a multi-racial coalition to win elected office... how much more American can you get.

Don't you just love America!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:30 am
eb ignores my point and waves his flag

http://www.clipartreview.com/_gallery/_TN/5842515.gif
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:35 am
I thought he was waving the stars 'n' stripes ...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:53 am
I am sorry, what was your point? Is it that there is <<dramatic gasp!>> illigal immigration?

What does that have with the rights of citizens to free speech as gauranteed by the American Constitution. The Billboard is covered by the Constitution as well as the right Americans of Mexican descent to enter elected office under a progressive platform.

The fact that either of these things bothers you doesn't matter one bit. The Billboard thing is kind of silly anyway. Lighten up!

Factually, that these things bother you so much makes me happy. I wasn't paying attention to how good the news was from LA until I saw the depth of your frustration.

Cj, you are so beautiful when you are angry.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 12:05 pm
I don't care that the mayor is latino. But it does bug me that a group, as a race, voted him into office despite his progressive (read uber-liberal) politics, simply because of his race. Detroit has Kwame, L.A. has Antonio. (Detroit isn't doing so good).
0 Replies