LA embraces Meatless Mondays

Mame

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 07:51 am
Los Angeles is turning vegetarian – at least one day per week.

Under a resolution unanimously approved by the City Council this week, all future Mondays in the City of Angels have been declared "Meatless Mondays."

It's part of an international campaign to cut down on meat consumption for health and environmental reasons.

Both the spiritual home of the hamburger and a haven for the health-obsessed, Los Angeles became the largest city in the nation to support the Meatless Monday campaign. The nonprofit initiative, started in 2003, is associated with Johns Hopkins University's public health school.

Councilwoman Jan Perry, who introduced the motion with Councilman Ed Reyes, noted the environmental impacts of meat production, and she emphasized that a high-meat diet has been linked to health problems such as colon, prostate, kidney and breast cancers, as well as heart disease.

"Eating less meat can prevent and even reverse some of our nation's most common illnesses," Perry said.

"We've become disconnected in some ways from the simple truth that our health is directly affected by the foods we eat,'' she added.

Her motion posted 12-0 in a council session Friday.

~~~

You can read the whole article here:

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Los-Angeles-City-Council-Embraces-Meatless-Mondays-Vegetarian-178244541.html

~~~

I don't really understand this motion. How are they going to enforce it? Will they forbid restaurants from serving meat on Mondays? I guess they can ensure schools don't, but do they really expect ordinary folk to listen to them?

djjd62

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 08:09 am
as a straight forward promotion i think it's a great idea

i eat almost no red meat and eat mostly and fowl ( about equal split of chicken and turkey)

i'm working on going meatless at least one meal a week
Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 08:17 am
I wonder if these jokers made a public statement about the damage done to the environment by commercial soybean farming in order to make tofu.
George

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 08:23 am
They'd be better off with Sugarless Saturdays.
Fat chance of that.
Mame

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 08:23 am
@djjd62,
Well, that's your choice and that's my point - it's YOUR choice. The government is getting involved in way too many personal issues, I believe.
George

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 08:25 am
@Setanta,
If I read the report correctly, they're trying to cut down on cow farts.
spendius

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 08:33 am
@Mame,
Assuming it's non-mandatory, unlike the meatless Fridays of bygone times, then it has gone nowhere we haven't been many times before.

My first doctor did foodless Saturdays. He also accused me of giving his missus one and I never laid a finger on her. And she was worth laying hands on too. She had deflected suspicion onto me to protect the fatuous gump who was the real culprit. If I may use such a word in the company of those who think a woman has the right to choose what to do with her body.

We had smokeless days promoted. Check a pensioner out days.

It's another "get your name up in lights" stunt. I bet you could link bricklaying to cancer. Certainly welding.
Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 08:33 am
@Mame,
Eggs-acktly
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 08:34 am
@George,
Yeah but vegan farts are way more toxic . . .
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 08:38 am
@spendius,
The general idea is to make people who don't lay bricks and weld steel plates together feel that they are contributing to society by eschewing meat one day a week. And get them to appreciate meat all the more on the other six days.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 09:19 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

"Meatless Mondays."

Tartareless Thursdays would have been a better fit for LA
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 10:28 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
I bet you could link bricklaying to cancer.

My uncle was a master brickie and he got cancer.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 10:34 am
@George,
George wrote:

They'd be better off with Sugarless Saturdays.
Fat chance of that.

That's just UnAmerican, George! What's wrong with you? Are you a fascist commie?! Rolling Eyes

Razz Wink
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 11:00 am
Beerless Tuesday evening?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 05:25 pm
Shirley, you all know this is all silliness?

Los Angeles is a very big city and much bigger metropolitan area with a varied population.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 05:29 pm
http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/U.S./PETAad.jpg
spendius

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 06:07 pm
@H2O MAN,
Vegans just talk up the value of certain types of soils. Whether they have invested beforehand in those which in which a vegan diet has an advantage I don't know. Some of them are simply idiots.
0 Replies