3
   

Elon Musk the founder of Tesla is a racial bigot

 
 
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 07:36 am
@maporsche,
She! Eff off. I'm a geezer.

I referred to Max as disgusting because he disgusts me, simple as.


Where the name comes from.

Quote:
Nova Express is a social commentary on human and machine control of life. The Nova Mob—Sammy the Butcher, Green Tony, Iron Claws, The Brown Artist, Jacky Blue Note, Limestone John, Izzy the Push, Hamburger Mary, Paddy The Sting, The Subliminal Kid, Blue Dinosaur, Mr. and Mrs. D —are viruses, "defined as the three-dimensional coordinate point of a controller." "which invade the human body and in the process produce language." These Nova Criminals represent society, culture, and government, and have taken control by the use of word and image. Inspector Lee and the rest of the Nova Police are left fighting for the rest of humanity in the power struggle.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_Express

Where the avatar comes from.

Quote:
Roger Mellie ("The Man on the Telly") is a fictional character featured in Viz magazine. His catchphrase is "Hello, good evening and bollocks!", satirising David Frost's catchphrase "Hello, good evening, and welcome". The character first appeared in Issue 6 in July 1981 and (like many other characters in Viz) is a foul-mouthed and obnoxious misogynist who manages to maintain a career as a television presenter. He is shown working on various TV networks and channels, the fictional Fulchester Television (FTV) and the BBC being his primary employers.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Mellie

http://i61.tinypic.com/2zzukq9.jpg
maxdancona
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 07:45 am
@izzythepush,
Somehow this thread has become all about Izzy.
0 Replies
 
georgeob1
 
  1  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 07:58 am
@maxdancona,
The thermal efficiency figures I listed are readily verifiable facts, and the data cited in your sources very clearly ignores real $ and environmental costs associated with producing and delivering the electrical energy to the batteries of Teslas. It also ignores the $ and environmental costs of replacing & disposing of these relatively short lived (compared to engines) batteries. There's lots of such distortion of physical facts in such well-intended but technically naïve environmental sources. However the engineering facts of the matter in this case prove me right and them wrong. You can either verify the efficiencies I cited (easy to do) and do your own calculations ( multiply the various contributing efficiencies) and come to your own conclusions or unquestioningly believe the propaganda in an obviously biased web site. Your choice.
maxdancona
 
  0  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 09:38 am
@georgeob1,
The big assumption in your argument is that electricity is being generated by burning fossil fuels. Currently 63% of our electricity is generated from fossil fuels.

If we generate the electricity using wind, hydro, solar or nuclear, the carbon footprint of electric cars is very low.
maporsche
 
  2  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 12:31 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The big assumption in your argument is that electricity is being generated by burning fossil fuels. Currently 63% of our electricity is generated from fossil fuels.

If we generate the electricity using wind, hydro, solar or nuclear, the carbon footprint of electric cars is very low.


Not to mention that something between 28%-40% of Tesla owners also own solar panels to power those cars.

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/06/25/28-40-ev-drivers-solar-panels-cleantechnica-ev-report/
ehBeth
 
  2  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 12:39 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
Not to mention that something between 28%-40% of Tesla owners also own solar panels to power those cars.


true enough

3 of them are in my immediate circle

next study - they can look at how much of the power the vehicles need come from those solar panels (anecdotally - not nearly enough - even if they're not trying to run their homes off the panels)
maporsche
 
  2  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 01:03 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

maporsche wrote:
Not to mention that something between 28%-40% of Tesla owners also own solar panels to power those cars.


true enough

3 of them are in my immediate circle

next study - they can look at how much of the power the vehicles need come from those solar panels (anecdotally - not nearly enough - even if they're not trying to run their homes off the panels)


Likely not enough for the hours the cars are being charged (mostly at night, I take it), but they provide power to the grid during the day to offset that.
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 01:08 pm
I just thought I'd point out once again that the merits of electric cars are not the topic of this thread. But bang on, goys and birls, don't let me rain on your collective parade.
georgeob1
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 01:29 pm
@maporsche,
For those who see a rapid replacement of our energy needs from wind and solar consider the following. Today 37% of our electrical power is produced by emissions free sources - nuclear, hydroelectric, wind and solar in order of their contributions. Nuclear is 20% and hydroelectric 6%, leaving 11% for wind and solar. We have been seeing see a mass decommissioning of nuclear plants and capacity. Ten years ago 38% of our electrical power came from Nuclear; In another twenty years it will be mostly gone. In short, despite all the naïve clamor about expanding solar & wind generation they remain but a small source of our energy consumption. In addition, with the ongoing decline of nuclear power we are likely to see a declining fraction of electrical generation from emission free sources for a long time.

The power generated by the home solar installations of all the Tesla owners in the country is a laughably small fraction of the total.

Hybrid vehicles are a good deal more efficient than conventional autos , and they don't have the large complex (and short lived) battery batteries of all electric vehicles. They make a lot of sense both economically and from an environmental perspective. Teslas don't
maporsche
 
  2  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 01:53 pm
@georgeob1,
Tesla is just one of the cars leading the automotive revolution.

You need the proof of concept and boundary pushing that Tesla has provided the industry.


What you're arguing isn't an argument for fewer electric cars, it's an argument FOR more clean energy, more renewable plants, and more incentives for a distributed energy system.
maxdancona
 
  -2  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 02:14 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I just thought I'd point out once again that the merits of electric cars are not the topic of this thread. But bang on, goys and birls, don't let me rain on your collective parade.


How cute. Setanta is upset that people are trying to have a grown-up conversation on a troll thread.

0 Replies
 
maxdancona
 
  -2  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 03:31 pm
@georgeob1,
Judging by thumbs, there are at least five Setantites here. I am going to guess that Izzy is one of them. I am not sure if MaPorsche plays the thumb game.

I wish they they would announce themselves publicly.... you all should at least drop Setanta a PM to let him know how much you adore him.
ehBeth
 
  1  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 03:43 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
Likely not enough for the hours the cars are being charged (mostly at night, I take it), but they provide power to the grid during the day to offset that.


yup $0.03/month credit to my best friend's hydro bill before they started charging the car/s

they've got panels on the house and one of the barns but it's not enough to be meaningful. perfect set up of the panels on the house in particular (top of hill, good east/south/west exposure)

it's sort of their business so they really want to show their support for the 'movement' but it's not inexpensive.
__

gimme me back the nuclear energy
maporsche
 
  1  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 06:11 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Judging by thumbs, there are at least five Setantites here. I am going to guess that Izzy is one of them. I am not sure if MaPorsche plays the thumb game.


Maybe 5 anti-Max's.

I definitely thumb down bad posts or posts I don't agree with (not all of them of course, that'd be too many thumbs...but the ones that I especially disagree with). If I had to guess, I'd say that I do about 5-10 thumbs-down a day.

I also love that it irks some people like Setenta and yourself, and I make it a point to thumb down any post that even mentions thumbs that I come across.
maxdancona
 
  -2  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 06:18 pm
@maporsche,
The thumbs don't irk me (they are just evidence of the problem).

What irks me the most are the personal attacks (which are cheered by the Setantites) and Izzy's world view that divides human beings into "acceptable" and "disgusting". What people say don't matter, it is all about the label you have.

This latest tangent started with Setanta's personal attack on George which had zero to do with the topic on hand. His goal was to punish someone with views he sees as unacceptable in an attempt to control the opinions that are expressed here.

The group think, enforced by personal attacks from Setanta, Izzy, et. al. irks me.
0 Replies
 
georgeob1
 
  1  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 07:27 pm
@maporsche,
You keep changing your argument as the facts unfold.

My argument points toward two objectives; more hybrid vehicles and more nuclear energy. Both make sense from both economic and environmental perspectives. Because wind and solar are subject to diurnal cycles and are somewhat episodic in their outputs, we need a baseload of adaptable 24/7 power sources to maintain the voltage on the grid. How much capacity is required for this ? Tough question, but most people in the industry believe it is about 70% with the capacity to do ~ 90% (on a dark & windless night).

We will approach that limit on wind solar and hydro in a couple of decades, and if we don't build more nuclear plants we will limit wind, solar and hydroelectric to about 30% of capacity - less than twice what we have now. Moreover most of our potential for new sources of hydroelectrical power are exhausted, and environmentalist are staunchly opposed to new dams. Most people don't consider these facts.

Tesla represents but a minor advance in battery technology, and the aircraft manufacturing industry is already well ahead of them in this area. Musk is trying desperately to take his company private before the market in his stock tanks. I wish him well, but recognize that the real driver for his current sales is a A $7,500 Federal subsidy on each vehicle sold ( even more in California). The Federal subsidy expires soon.

In addition he has yet to solve the problem of quick recharge of his cars. Several hours are currently required, thus limiting the vehicle to city commutes - admittedly a large fraction of the market. However, it is very hard to take a long trip in a Tesla - though they will sell you a (big and bulky) fast charge kit for only $15K.
maporsche
 
  1  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 07:33 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I wish him well, but recognize that the real driver for his current sales is a A $7,500 Federal subsidy on each vehicle sold ( even more in California). The Federal subsidy expires soon.


You think the person who is willing to spend $50k-$90k on a Tesla is REALLY motivated by the $7500 tax credit?
maporsche
 
  1  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 07:36 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

In addition he has yet to solve the problem of quick recharge of his cars. Several hours are currently required, thus limiting the vehicle to city commutes - admittedly a large fraction of the market. However, it is very hard to take a long trip in a Tesla - though they will sell you a (big and bulky) fast charge kit for only $15K.


A Tesla gets almost 300 miles on a charge. I live in Chicago where 300 miles is a whole month's worth of driving for most city-people.
0 Replies
 
maporsche
 
  2  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 07:37 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

My argument points toward two objectives; more hybrid vehicles and more nuclear energy. Both make sense from both economic and environmental perspectives.


We agree on this.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 10:04 pm
@maporsche,
You're wrong there. Down votes don't irk, I just find them stupid. I'll keep this in mind, however. I usually read your posts because I find most of them sensible--perhaps I've been deluding myself.

It is truly hilarious to see anyone allege that Izzy is "one of mine." We are barely civil to one another and we rarely speak to one another. That one really cracks me up.
 

Related Topics

Sad State of Affairs - Question by Ionus
How far should trolling go? - Discussion by Buttermilk
True Republican thought - Discussion by Cycloptichorn
Mmmmmmm Hate-Bop - Discussion by boomerang
 
Copyright © 2023 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 02/08/2023 at 02:51:05