The leaking southern border.

au1929

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 10:58 am
FBI Warns of 'Special Interest' Aliens

By MARK SHERMAN
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- FBI Director Robert Mueller told Congress on Tuesday that people from countries with ties to al-Qaida have crossed into the United States from Mexico, using false identities.

"We are concerned, Homeland Security is concerned about special interest aliens entering the United States," Mueller said, using a term for people from countries where al-Qaida is known to be active.

Under persistent questioning from Rep. John Culberson, R-Texas, Mueller said he was aware of one route that takes people to Brazil, where they assume false identities, and then to Mexico before crossing the U.S. border.

He also said that in some instances people with Middle Eastern names have adopted Hispanic last names before trying to get into the United States.

Mueller provided no estimate of the number of people who have entered the country in this manner.

Bush administration officials have previously said al-Qaida could try to infiltrate the United States through the Mexican border.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBI_MUELLER?SITE=1010WINS&SECTION=US&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

It would seem that we can have congressional hearings to define a problem and our shortcomings related to national security do not have the will to take the required action to correct them.
If history repeats as it most assuredly will nothing short of talk will happen till the next 9/11 event if it can be traced to someone coming in by that route.
Why must we need a national tragedy as a precursor to action? They could heat the world with the hot air that flows from Washington
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,683 • Replies: 146
No top replies

au1929

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 06:44 pm
I should add as long as our southern border is the path by which cheap labor enters this nation. Our business dominated administration will do nothing to close the door.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 07:08 pm
Since when have libs cared about the border issue? You might be an exception to the rule, but most I have spoken to want immigration to be legal for everyone with no limits. This seems to be counter productive to the left take on immigration.

I will say that that most politicians are not as concerned about the business issue as much as they are scared of taking a position due to potential voters.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 07:15 pm
Quote:
Since when have libs cared about the border issue? You might be an exception to the rule, but most I have spoken to want immigration to be legal for everyone with no limits. This seems to be counter productive to the left take on immigration.

Woah, I haven't found this to be a prevalent attitude on the left at all, especially post-9/11.

One of the biggest complaints lefties have with the admin. is that if we are trying so hard to be secure, and terrorism is so scary, why can't we close the borders up some?

I mean, it only makes sense...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 07:16 pm
Baldimo
What makes you think libs don't care about the border issues? That's the first time I've heard that.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 07:21 pm
baldimo
What is your obsession with liberals? I am neither a liberal nor a conservative. And have as much disdain for the far left as I have for the far right. It may surprise you there are people who reason and support issues not a party line.
I am aware from your posts that is a foreign concept to you.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 07:23 pm
right on au!
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 07:30 pm
au1929 wrote:
baldimo
What is your obsession with liberals? I am neither a liberal nor a conservative. And have as much disdain for the far left as I have for the far right. It may surprise you there are people who reason and support issues not a party line.
I am aware from your posts that is a foreign concept to you.

I did say that you could be an exception and it appears that you could be. My obsession is evident with how this county seems to be run and who those are that seem to be against the plans of this administration. Can you blame me?

Do you question Dook on his obsession with neo-cons?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 07:33 pm
Baldimo
I did not question you just responded to your post.
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 07:36 pm
We could move a few military bases out of the interior and place them on the southern border. The soldiers can conduct training patrols and apprehension procedures. The desert climate is also similar to that of many middle eastern countries and can help soldiers become acclimated to such.

This would really piss off Mexico, though. Just an idea.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 07:44 pm
If it does maybe they will stop sending us illegal. That would be some loss. :wink:

In any event what difference does one more nation that is pissed of at us matter. That would make it almost unanimous Sad
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 08:39 pm
This is one liberal who supports people's right to move. I want them to be on the lookout for terrorists, but not poor Mexicans.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 08:49 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
This is one liberal who supports people's right to move. I want them to be on the lookout for terrorists, but not poor Mexicans.

Why must the US look out for the "poor" Mexicans? Shouldn't the Mexican govt look out for the "poor" Mexicans?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 08:52 pm
I knew the rhetoric about catching terrorists was a guise for stopping latins from getting here. He he.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 10:13 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I knew the rhetoric about catching terrorists was a guise for stopping latins from getting here. He he.

You know they all cross together. Besides who are the largest offenders of breaking the law? I don't want it to apply to the Mexicans alone, but to everyone who breaks this law.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:43 am
Baldimo

Border security was one of the main themes Kerry blasted Bush on in the last elections, remember? I got tired counting how many times Kerry brought up the underfunding and understaffing of securing America's ports, for example.

Then there's the immigration question. On that one yeah, "liberals" mostly take a more open position, if not quite at all the one you make it out to be. Au on the other hand has been positively anti-Mexican, anti-immigrant, anti-foreigner and anti-whatever in this context ever since I first saw him post on Abuzz. It's one of the reasons why I would never call him a liberal. Not everyone who hates Bush is a liberal, Bush-haters come in all forms.

Obviously, I disagree with him.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:51 am
Baldimo wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Why must the US look out for the "poor" Mexicans? Shouldn't the Mexican govt look out for the "poor" Mexicans?

Unless I'm dyslexic, Edgar didn't say the US should "look out for" poor Mexicans. Merely that it shouldn't be "on the lookout for" poor Mexicans (but rather on terrorists).

Yeah, both a bleeding heart position to you, I'm sure, but still a distinct difference there.

Like, there's saying, they've got a right to look for happiness here too, just like the x generations of earlier immigrants that include your ancestors - if they wanna make it here, let them try. And then there's saying, like you were insinuating, that the US should somehow take care of all of them and ensure they won't lack anything.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 07:37 am
Nimh
The law is the law for everyone. There is no reason to give illegal aliens special dispensation to break it. That is unless and until the definition of the word is changed.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 07:37 am
Nimh
The law is the law for everyone. There is no reason to give illegal aliens special dispensation to break it. That is unless and until the definition of the word is changed.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 07:39 am
Duplicate post voided
0 Replies